Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 6,472 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking for some input here. We are building a house on our large secluded lot but cant seem to decide on going with a slab vs a crawl. Our house is a custom farm house plan and can go either way (wouldnt effect much at all in terms of the aesthetic/front elevation). I know all of the major differences between the two and honestly, we could go either way. I've lived in basement/crawl homes and on slabs as well and really haven't had an issue either way. If money wasnt an option, I would go with a sealed crawl, but I cant and Im not a huge fan of how traditional crawls get after many years..

So my question is regarding the value of the home and if the choice between these make a difference? It is significianctly cheaper to have a slab, but I am concerned it will not hold its value as a custom build? Im from Charlotte and I am used to seeing alot of slab homes, just not sure about in a custom build. It is a nicer build and a nicer neighborhood, but I have seen slabs down the street on brand new customs and its hard to even tell the difference (unless youre looking). Ultimately, in York county, would a slab effect the resale value of the home (has anyone seen this)? I know its somewhat a complex question, but looking for input.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 02:41 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
I don't know that it makes a difference in the value of the home, custom or otherwise.

Some lots are better suited to slabs, some are better suited to crawlspaces.

Me personally, when we moved from NoNJ, I told my husband that I refused to even LOOK at a house that had an unfinished basement or a crawlspace. Slab only. That's what we have. That's because our house in NoNJ had nothing but problems with our unfinished basement.

But I'm just one person. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who say they will never own a slab home.

If I were you, I would build whatever I want to build, never mind resale in 10+ years. There are pros and cons to slabs and crawlspaces alike. You just need to decide what is most important TO YOU and go for it.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2016, 03:03 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,202 times
We had the opposite happen to us and would never consider a home built on a slab again. Cracked slab resulted in cracks in walls, uneven floors and other issues. Luckily, the home was new construction and the builder had piers installed under the slab to correct the issues.
With a home built on a crawl, if there are issues, you can access the area and correct. I would also suggest that if you go this route to have a concrete pad installed at the access area and around the HVAC units. That will keep the area clean and give you another area to store items such as lawn equipment, ladders, etc.

Again, this is only my opinion.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:02 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
jsmam,
We bought a new build on a slab.
When it rains really bad, and I mean it rains bad here, all the snakes will crawl under your house if you have a slab.
My daughter has this problem, mice, snakes, some baby snakes will get in the house, I personally don't mind non poisonous snakes, but she had a copper head about a month ago, and that scared me really bad.
So, I guess if you don't mind snakes and mice, and you are willing to have a moisture barrier installed under the house, then mabey a crawl space is fine for you.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:03 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
Correction, they crawl under the house if you have a crawl space.
Sorry about that.
Proof read afterwards.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:03 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Correction, they crawl under the house if you have a crawl space.
Sorry about that.
Proof read afterwards.
*lol* As I read your original post I kept thinking, "That's so weird - how do they get UNDER the slab? And in my 10 years here I've never had a snake in the house!"" Then I saw your correction.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 AM

Thank you all for your help. My main reason for looking into a slab was because of the same reason with snakes and mice getting into the crawl. It's farm land and we have an open 4 acre pasture at the front of the property that mice seem to love to get into. I figured the slab would make more sense in this scenario but wasn't sure if it would effect value etc or if people still had negative views of slabs. From most the people I talk to, it doesn't seem like there is anything other than personal preference. I did have one builder we were talking to say "your house is too nice for a slab" or something to that effect so I figured it was worth asking around. I appreciate everyone's reply!

Old 08-22-2016, 12:02 PM

261 posts, read 480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmam View Post
I did have one builder we were talking to say "your house is too nice for a slab" or something to that effect so I figured it was worth asking around.
Where I come from in Texas every house is built on a slab from starter homes to multi-million dollar homes. I'm not sure what they mean by "your house is too nice". I've lived on both and they have advantages and drawbacks.

I think you should go with with what YOU want and not worry about resale.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetaetadg View Post
Where I come from in Texas every house is built on a slab from starter homes to multi-million dollar homes. I'm not sure what they mean by "your house is too nice". I've lived on both and they have advantages and drawbacks.

I think you should go with with what YOU want and not worry about resale.
Thank you. That's what I was thinking, and what I thought all along until a builder said that to me, which got me thinking the other way

Good idea to go with what we want. Thanks

Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM

129 posts, read 234,267 times
Go with what you want. I have worked as a builder rep in the past and we did offer crawl space or slab on some sites. I never got the reasoning why someone would want to spend thousands extra on a crawl space sometimes $12,000 more for one if the site didn't require it.

It is a personal preference I came from Europe and everything was built on a slab so that was what I was used to, I moved to the US and the first home we lived in was on a crawl space. Personally I wasn't a fan due to the bugs etc and a possum that would take up residence under the home. It also reminded me of a mobile home the noise from the floor. Again personal preference.
I met people who would never consider building on a slab ever because they had all this misconceptions about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties