Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 05:37 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband is interviewing for a position in Ballantyne. Initially we thought we would look at South Charlotte but the more we read the more I'm convinced that Fort Mill or Tega Cay is probably a better fit. We are currently in the Portland, OR area but have lived all over the east coast and have family in Hilton Head and Charleston, SC. So while we aren't familiar with Charlotte, we aren't new to humidity

We have 2 kids, 5th and 7th grade. Our house budget is 500Kish-700Kish and we are somewhat flexible. We would like a house on at least 0.25 of an acre in a nice community where ideally we could walk to parks, a pool, or maybe even to have a coffee or glass of wine. A not terrible commute is also a priority.

From reading through the previous threads it looks like Baxter or Springfield would be the best bet for us? Anywhere in Tega Cay or Fort Mill that I'm missing? My husband would love to be close to the lake, is there anything nearer the water?

Also any difference between the two high schools?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 05:37 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
LakeShore in Tega Cay will have homes in that price range. Eppington South may have some smaller homes in that price range although those don't go on the market that often.

Both high schools are excellent, as are all middle schools. No schools in Fort Mill are bad, really. You can't go wrong wherever you decide to hang your hat.

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
LakeShore in Tega Cay will have homes in that price range. Eppington South may have some smaller homes in that price range although those don't go on the market that often.

Both high schools are excellent, as are all middle schools. No schools in Fort Mill are bad, really. You can't go wrong wherever you decide to hang your hat.

Good luck in your search!
Thanks Girl! We are excited about the possibilities. As much as we've loved living in the PNW, it does feel like it may be time for a change.

I should have included in my OP that we aren't picky about home size, coming from the west coast almost everything in Fort Mill seems huge to us. If this happens we're going to have to buy a ton of furniture

Old 08-29-2016, 01:30 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
There are plenty of homes in the $300-500 range that might work for you then. No reason to spend your whole budget if you don't have to, right?

Also look at Sutton Place, The Reserve on Gold Hill, Beacon Knoll, Ashford on the Water, Bridgemill, and Brayden, just to name a few.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:46 AM

686 posts, read 805,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Hi all,
My husband is interviewing for a position in Ballantyne. Initially we thought we would look at South Charlotte but the more we read the more I'm convinced that Fort Mill or Tega Cay is probably a better fit. We are currently in the Portland, OR area but have lived all over the east coast and have family in Hilton Head and Charleston, SC. So while we aren't familiar with Charlotte, we aren't new to humidity

We have 2 kids, 5th and 7th grade. Our house budget is 500Kish-700Kish and we are somewhat flexible. We would like a house on at least 0.25 of an acre in a nice community where ideally we could walk to parks, a pool, or maybe even to have a coffee or glass of wine. A not terrible commute is also a priority.

From reading through the previous threads it looks like Baxter or Springfield would be the best bet for us? Anywhere in Tega Cay or Fort Mill that I'm missing? My husband would love to be close to the lake, is there anything nearer the water?

Also any difference between the two high schools?

Thanks in advance!

We live in Portland also and should find out this week if we are moving to the Fort Mill area. Depends on if I got the transfer or not. We have been wanting to move over here for about 2 years now. We have been in Portland for about 9 years and for me personally it has been about 8.5 years too long! LOL.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:00 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,781 times
We would love to live in Portland, beautiful area, green, fantastic downtown and proximity to the coast and mountains. Plus no sales tax on food, so awesome!

If we get the chance to relocate we would move to Portland in a heartbeat.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:28 AM

Thanks all. I think our next step is to see how the interview process goes, if it is the right fit for my husband and then come and visit. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and Girl you are absolutely right that it does seem that we wouldn't have to spend our whole budget, we are used to west coast prices

marndt - we have enjoyed our time in the Portland area, we've been here nearly 10years now, it is stunning. But Portland is not the utopia that it is often made out to be. While it is beautiful it is also very expensive, while no sales tax is lovely food itself is much pricier than other places in the country, and the income, property and gas taxes are high. The homeless and traffic are a serious issue that no one wants to address and we have a housing shortage that isn't going away. And there is that 8mths of rain

I realize that every city has its issues and if we stay in Portland there is a lot to love about living here, but in their bid to become San Francisco, PDX may destroy itself.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:52 AM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
I work in Ballantyne and live in Indian Land (29707).

Old 09-01-2016, 02:03 PM

686 posts, read 805,729 times
marndt - we have enjoyed our time in the Portland area, we've been here nearly 10years now, it is stunning. But Portland is not the utopia that it is often made out to be. While it is beautiful it is also very expensive, while no sales tax is lovely food itself is much pricier than other places in the country, and the income, property and gas taxes are high. The homeless and traffic are a serious issue that no one wants to address and we have a housing shortage that isn't going away. And there is that 8mths of rain

I realize that every city has its issues and if we stay in Portland there is a lot to love about living here, but in their bid to become San Francisco, PDX may destroy itself.[/quote]

This is the most accurate description of Portland I have read by another person living there. I agree 100% with everything and would also add that Oregon public schools, specifically Portland PS are awful.

For me, I absolutely love Portland weather for 4 months and HATE it the rest of the year. We only got 142 days of sun last year and that includes rain/sun mixed days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties