Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 PM

56 posts, read 238,784 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We will be relocating in less than 2 weeks. We are looking at parts of Fort Mill, SC and parts of South Cahrlotte. I have been reading about lots of crime South Charlotte area. With home break-in's and that sort of thing and crimials being set free after serving no time and a lax CLT police force when responding to calls. Does South Carolina's town of Fort Mill, Indian Land or Tega Cay experience simialr crime and police responsiveness?
Thanks!
Seattlemom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:36 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,425,454 times
Fort Mill has experienced a little crime lately, but mostly it's been business. Fort Mill police and the Sheriff's ursue and prosecute aggressively. Fort Mill is not crime free, but much less crime than South or SW Charlotte.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlemom View Post
Hi there,
We will be relocating in less than 2 weeks. We are looking at parts of Fort Mill, SC and parts of South Cahrlotte. I have been reading about lots of crime South Charlotte area. With home break-in's and that sort of thing and crimials being set free after serving no time and a lax CLT police force when responding to calls. Does South Carolina's town of Fort Mill, Indian Land or Tega Cay experience simialr crime and police responsiveness?
Thanks!
Seattlemom
I am afraid you may have worked yourself up into a frenzy on reading so many of these posts on the City-Data forum site.

In regard to South Charlotte...as far as Charlotte goes...it is considered to be one of the safest areas. My suggestion would be...if you are seriously considering moving to a particular area in Charlotte...contact that local police/sherriff department that covers that area that you are interested in (and I would give this advice no matter where anyone is considering moving=why not go right to the source).

Also while trying to be fair....Charlotte has a larger population than we do...we are still considered to be rural (although growing by leaps and bounds). Remember too...that we are in a different state so yes, things are handled differently.

If indeed you are interested in the areas in SC, and you want to know about crime...it is much easier to look at them individually versus as a whole.

For example:

Tega Cay, SC(York County) is a city with their own police department.

Fort Mill, SC(York County) is actually in two parts.

You have the Town of Fort Mill (currently the smaller portion, more of the historical/original section) that is covered by Fort Mill Police.

Then there is Fort Mill Township (currently the larger potion, most of the new/current growth has been) and it is covered by the York County Sheriffs

Indian Land, SC(Lancaster County) is covered by Lancaster County Sheriffs

Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM

251 posts, read 1,127,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I am afraid you may have worked yourself up into a frenzy on reading so many of these posts on the City-Data forum site.

In regard to South Charlotte...as far as Charlotte goes...it is considered to be one of the safest areas. My suggestion would be...if you are seriously considering moving to a particular area in Charlotte...contact that local police/sherriff department that covers that area that you are interested in (and I would give this advice no matter where anyone is considering moving=why not go right to the source).

Also while trying to be fair....Charlotte has a larger population than we do...we are still considered to be rural (although growing by leaps and bounds). Remember too...that we are in a different state so yes, things are handled differently.

If indeed you are interested in the areas in SC, and you want to know about crime...it is much easier to look at them individually versus as a whole.

For example:

Tega Cay, SC(York County) is a city with their own police department.

Fort Mill, SC(York County) is actually in two parts.

You have the Town of Fort Mill (currently the smaller portion, more of the historical/original section) that is covered by Fort Mill Police.

Then there is Fort Mill Township (currently the larger potion, most of the new/current growth has been) and it is covered by the York County Sheriffs

Indian Land, SC(Lancaster County) is covered by Lancaster County Sheriffs
With over 200,000 people, I'd hardly call York County rural---still crime there is relatively low, compared to SC as a whole.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:22 PM

26 posts, read 117,239 times
I am considering a move to the area as well, and have come to the realization that nowhere is crime free anymore. Everytime you read about some crazy stuff that happened, it seems like it has taken place in a small quiet town that never had any problems before. No matter where you live, you need to be aware of what is going on around you...Sad, but very true.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
With over 200,000 people, I'd hardly call York County rural---still crime there is relatively low, compared to SC as a whole.
In my original post I was stating that the areas in question by the OP (Fort Mill/Tega Cay/Indian Land) were still considered rural (versus say...Charlotte). So, while you personally may not consider Fort Mill or Tega Cay, or any other part in York County rural (hmmm...have your ever been to Sharon, Smyrna, or McConnells in York County?) the OP happens to be coming from Seattle (or someone else may be coming from Los Angeles, etc.)...there's a good chance they will consider this rural.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 AM

146 posts, read 451,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
In my original post I was stating that the areas in question by the OP (Fort Mill/Tega Cay/Indian Land) were still considered rural (versus say...Charlotte). So, while you personally may not consider Fort Mill or Tega Cay, or any other part in York County rural (hmmm...have your ever been to Sharon, Smyrna, or McConnells in York County?) the OP happens to be coming from Seattle (or someone else may be coming from Los Angeles, etc.)...there's a good chance they will consider this rural.
I would have to agree, after living in both the DC and Philly area, I find York County to be more rural then I had experienced before in burbs so close to the city.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 PM

9 posts, read 31,538 times
If you can afford a home in Ballantyne Country Club, the CMPD responds pretty fast. Actually south Charlotte is pretty safe, but due to a higher population, they do have a higher percentage of B&Es and car break-ins (this is a wealthy area). When you cross the stateline into SC (1 mile mainly Indian Land/Fort Mill area) you have county sheriffs. They tend to have a "known presence" in the area which I believe keeps home invasion and domestic crimes at bay (from the stats we have been reading for the past two years). I don't know of any home invasions in the Clairemont neighborhood which is off 160 (a mile from 521) and I have been here 2 years, but our side of the neighborhood (the larger homes...2 phases in our neighborhood) is pretty close and keeps an eye on neighbors' homes. There has been a construction site break-in each month down the road, but that is something tied to that industry (especially in a high growth area). If you talk to a well known realtor that knows what Ballantyne was before it was built, most of them would tell you the lower taxes and home prices that tend to be lower in SC would be a good investment. You will get the best of both worlds (small town in Lancaster County, SC) with the big municipal Charlotte a few miles away...along with shopping galore, etc. We looked at two home communities less than ten miles apart by the same builder. The one in NC was $25K higher for the same house, but further away from Ballantyne than we are. I work in Ballantyne so it was a no brainer, takes me 10 minutes to get to work!

I think the areas to avoid would be parts of York County, southern Lancaster County, and any area in Fort Mill that is near "older neighborhoods" that are known for crime/drugs (I won't mention areas so as not to upset those living near these areas...but you can check local crime logs and see where).

Another thing to look for is drive through the neighborhood on a weekend. If you see people outside that is a good sign...Neighborhood Watches also help, but won't stop everything. Our neighborhood has had a few car breakins in the 4 years it has been here, but that's most likely criminals looking for open car doors. I know our neighborhood also has a lot (I know of 6) retired law enforcement homeowners from different regions of the US. A lot of people from FL, NY, CA, MD, DC, VA, MA, TX, WI, MI, IL, etc. as well. When we moved here, we were worried at first, but great diversity in this area.

Hope this helps. We looked at York County. There are some very nice neighborhoods, but most of the nicer ones tend to be very pricey, or houses stacked on top of one another with small lots. Some of the older neighborhoods were nice, but we always found something we did not like with the one next to it. We went with the "panhandle area" of Lancaster County, because just about everything here was built after 2003...and the county has been working hard to provide the new citizens what they need. This is the new growth area of South Charlotte (although its in SC) for both residential and corporate HQs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties