Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM

81 posts, read 309,703 times

Advertisements

I just noticed that an older home on Gold Hill Road burned down? It must have been pretty recently. I didn't notice it last week. (though I've been known to miss a few things) Itj's past 160 on the right heading toward the interstate. Sits on a big lot.

I googled it, and looked in the Fort Mill Times archives, and the Charlotte Observer and Rock Hill Herald, and couldn't find any info. I had heard earlier in the year that the lady who lived there had cancer.

Does anyone know anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 PM

417 posts, read 813,809 times
My better half mentioned last week that he noticed it as well. It's pretty much burnt to to crisp. How sad. I hope nobody was hurt.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM

39 posts, read 143,267 times
Just a thought, but could it have been a training burn for the fire department? I know that there have been a couple of those in Indian Land. Great training, but it always hurts me a bit to see those beautiful old homes burned down.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,425,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtransplant View Post
Just a thought, but could it have been a training burn for the fire department? I know that there have been a couple of those in Indian Land. Great training, but it always hurts me a bit to see those beautiful old homes burned down.
Yes, a few houses in the Gold Hill Road area and on Hwy 21 near Captain Steve's have recently been started on fire for FD training. The homes will be replaced with a lovely brick strip mall which have a Great Clips and other franchise businesses

Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Default some information (gossip?) from High School

A friend of my sons from the High School just came over and told me that 'someone in my class is friends of the family that lived in the house, and that someone fell asleep with a cigarette and the fire started. Because there were oxygen tanks in the home, they exploded and the house burned quickly.
There were a lot of kids there, and everyone there got out safely. The mother is living with her daughter in Fort Mill.' He said the kids that knew the family were talking of a fund raiser for the family. So, as much as you can trust second hand talk from highschoolers that overhear conversations......

I probably shouldn't post this, since I don't know if it's true or not. And actually, I probably shouldn't have started the thread, because City-Data probably isn't the place for it. Sorry. I'm chastising myself, so you don't have too .

Old 04-11-2008, 05:16 AM

119 posts, read 361,107 times
It was Beth Jordan's house. She went to the same church as a friend of mine. Her house burnt to the ground and she lost EVERYTHING. The fire dept told her they should have been carrying 8 body bags out of the house.

They are having a FUNDRAISER, SPAGHETTI DINNER on April 25 from 5-8pm at Real Life Assembly, 1930 Pleasant Rd in FM. $7 adults and $4 kids (10 and under). Carry out plates available. Dinner includes spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, desserts, coffee and tea. To purchase tickets in advance call 803-802-7010. Walk-ins welcome.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 AM

285 posts, read 1,020,023 times
Default Donation Info

Kellyandmike, thanks for the info. I went to the church's web site and saw the info on the shower and fundraiser.

I felt moved to donate so I just sent a check to the church marked for this use. I'm sure like my church, this church has a benevolence fund for members and particularly for this purpose.

According to the church web site, their mailing address is:

Real Life Assembly
PO Box 879
Fort Mill, SC 29716

Street address is 1930 Pleasant Road.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:18 PM

119 posts, read 361,107 times
Drove by and saw the house today. It's truly a miracle. There were oxygen tanks in the house that blew up just after everyone got out safely. One of the sons woke up in the middle of the night "for no reason" and was able to wake everyone up and get them out. Amazing, just amazing that everyone was safe.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for all the information. I'm glad that the family has a church family looking out for them. Thank goodness for people who will reach out with love! I've even noticed one of my son's schools (Gold Hill) taking donations for families in the school that need help. They do it without drawing attention to the family in need, or the people who donate. Really neat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties