Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,587 times

Advertisements

We have recently moved to NC and living in Ballantyne for past 4 months. We are looking to buy a house and we looked several properties (mostly new construction & upcoming construction) in Ballantyne & Fort Mills area. After all the research, we thought the new community (By Meritage Homes) that is coming up (Saxon Place) in Regent Parkway would be the best in terms of commute, schooling and pricing. We kind of made a decision to wait on the other details for that property and even stopped looking at others (Again, I have no hard feelings for those who liked the golf course @Regent Parkway and I would have had the same emotions If I were in your place). We drove by that area few times and really liked that area. I started reading this forum on the previous posts for Regent Parkway and I see lot of posts mentioning about the concerns on flight noise in that area. I checked the map that designates the air traffic and I see that the area is falling under the radar of the inbound & outbound flights. I know this has been discussed few times in the past but I wanted to check with folks living IN & AROUND Regent Parkway (5631 Regent Pkwy, Fort Mill, SC 29715) to seek your opinions on this. Would really appreciate your time if you could answer these questions -

a) Is the flight noise so significant even when you are inside your house ?
b) How frequently do the flights fly down in that route ?

Here is the area map I could get for that address -

https://maps.bts.dot.gov/arcgis/apps...464cc0e9d5c9fb

Thank you so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 07:01 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,701,053 times
Here is an existing thread on the topic already. People have different tolerances for noise, so only you can make the personal call on how much it would annoy you. Some people like to go to sleep with complete silence, others don't mind some background noise. The OP on the first thread, hates the noise, others posting view it as background noise. Spend some time in the area and in the house during arrival banks at CLT.
//www.city-data.com/forum/york-...oise-over.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/york-...gent-park.html

The Regent Parkway area is in the arrival path for flights inbound to CLT. Aircraft will be at an elevation of about 2,500 to 3,500 feet in that area of Fort Mill and decelerating. You will not be impacted by departing aircraft in this area with the CURRENT departure route the FAA uses from CLT (they could always change that).

a.) Is the flight noise so significant you can hear inside: It won't interrupt a conversation and you probably won't hear it over a TV, but you will hear the noise if you are on your top floor and it is quiet in the house. You will hear it outside - some people are annoyed by it, others are not.

b.) Flights are more frequent in Regent Park area in fall and winter as they don't reverse the arrival path often. You can expect around 300-350 arriving flights per day aligned over that part of Fort Mill for arrival on runway 36R and 36C. Aircraft approaching 36L will generally be further west and not impact your area, hence you will only get half of CLT's 650 arrivals per day over Regent Park. In the summer, you might get half that amount as the airport is often operating departures to the south.

You will get train noise in the Regent Park area as well (often at night), which will fade the further you are from the crossing at Regent Parkway (near Queen City Plastics).

Old 01-03-2018, 08:27 AM

625 posts, read 489,332 times
I live in Regal Manor (Fallbrook) which is the neighborhood on the other side of the tracks from Regent Park closer to NaFo HS and Sugar Creek elementary.

As PP said, it really depends on how sensitive you are to noise. You get used to it. The only times that it's noticeable are during the summer when sitting outside on a day with a particularly low approach window. In general, though, it becomes background noise-- even the train after a while. I find it soothing at night to hair the horn as it approaches the crossing -- but we're also as far as you can get from the crossing in the neighborhood. I don't know what it's like for those that live closer in.

One thing to mention is that the planes can affect your TV reception if you choose to cut the cord and use a digital antenna. One thing I've noticed is that reception gets distorted when a plan is flying overhead and this can be really annoying on busy days. We stream a lot of shows and rarely use the antenna, but if you watch a lot of over the air TV it might be annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties