Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,733 times

Advertisements

The Humane Society of York County (located in Fort Mill) is on the verge of shutting down in just a matter of weeks due to lack of donations.

As it stands now they are no longer accepting animals.

If you can help the Humane Society of York County, call (803) 802-0902 and leave a message there or visit its Web site: Humane Society of York County, SC - Home Page (http://www.hsyc.com/ - broken link)

More information can be found at the following link:

Humane Society Of York County May Be Forced To Shut Down - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:14 PM

119 posts, read 361,201 times
Thanks for that info. Is this the one next to the new Lowe's on Rte 160?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyandmike View Post
Thanks for that info. Is this the one next to the new Lowe's on Rte 160?
Yes, it is.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:00 AM

392 posts, read 1,184,123 times
Thanks for the heads up, LTC. HSYC is one of our fave charities around here and they send us stuff all the time via email, but no indication of this dire plight given, just the stuff about Eli the dog, and the upcoming yard sale. My hometown HS was faced with the same crisis last year but managed to hold on. Again, thanks for alerting us to this crisis situation.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
I was talking to the owener of Wags of Baxter yesterday and she said the HSYC's donations are down 80%. My fiance's mother co-owns a feline rescue center in Rock Hill and they are experiencing similar problems. People tend to cut out charitable donations when times get tough.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:01 AM

269 posts, read 1,057,418 times
I REALLY wish that they had an outdoor facility somewhere. My wife and kids visit the HS weekly to walk the dogs etc. - but I can't even walk in the door because of the extreme odor. It's hard to believe that they're approved for a HS in a closed building without even any windows. That said, I appreciate their work and will continue to donate.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:17 PM

I was not aware of the dire situation at the Humane Society either...in fact I just stumbled upon it looking for something else (I was rather surprised as I have seen no mention of it in the local papers either)?

Old 03-24-2008, 04:23 PM

119 posts, read 361,201 times
I too was surprised as in Sunday's Observer, it mentioned that they were looking for donations of stuff, but nothing about a possible shut down.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,651 times
Wags of Baxter is helping out with donations and such...

Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 AM

392 posts, read 1,184,123 times
Now that I look closely, there was something of an extra note of need in recent emails from the HS. Plus, on Mar. 20, Stacy at the HS emailed the link to the WSOC news story - the same one that LTC so kindly posted above. Somehow I overlooked that one. Anyway...

Three ways to help:

1) Donate newspaper, cleaning supplies, etc: We can always use newspaper. Donate cleaning products such as Pine-Sol, bleach, laundry & dish detergent, paper towels, trash bags and old towels, blankets & sheets.

2) Donate for THE SPRING YARD SALE: The Humane Society of York County can use donations of unwanted items for its Spring Yard Sale, to be held Saturday, April 26, 2008 from 7:30 am to 12:30 pm. They request that you do NOT include adult clothing in your donations. Items can be dropped off at the HSYC shelter at 2036 Carolina Place Drive Fort Mill, SC during the following times: Tuesday – Sunday 1pm to 4pm. The HS needs a good sale - donations are way down, bottle kittens are already coming in. The price of test kits went up. Pedigree is changing their structure on free food & we are not sure if we are going to get dog food. It is going to be a very busy spring and summer with puppies, kittens & un-wanted animals due to gas, economy etc. For more information call 803-327-6626

3) Adopt a pet: In addition to all the other great animals looking for a forever home, the HS has been really trying to find a home for Eli, a mixed yellow lab. His story is that he sat for days on Highway 21 in early February at the Springs Greenway entrance next to a fire hydrant, even during the rain, waiting for his owner to come back & get him - but they never did. Eli has was hurt and scared, but has come a long way through bed rest and good fostering and he loves American Cheese!

Directions to the Shelter: Directions to the Humane Society are: Take Exit 85 off of I-77 (Hwy 160 West). If coming from I-77 North, turn left at the exit ramp. If coming from I-77 South, turn right at the exit ramp. At the stoplight with the BP gas station to your right and Baxter Village is on the left, take a right turn onto Carolina Place. The road winds around, and the shelter is at the bottom of the hill on the right.

Last edited by AmericanRoadGirl; 03-25-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: to add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties