Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2019, 02:26 PM

120 posts, read 140,283 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share thoughts/opinions on living in River Hills? Are there any surprises (good or bad) we should know about before looking at houses there? Where do folks there generally work - uptown Charlotte? Are the planes flying overhead ridiculously loud? Do most people join that country club in the development? And other than the HOA, how are other costs, like water and utilities?

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:51 AM

850 posts, read 2,651,415 times
River Hills is nice, a cool mix of traditional and mid-century designed homes. Any home in the Lake Wylie, steel creek, Fort Mill area will experience air traffic, it isn’t constant but can be heavy at times as the planes “stack up” for their landing approach. We have looked at houses there before and for us there were two main drawbacks. First, there are two entrances, one is gated off 49, at times the traffic can back up getting in and out. The back entrance is more accessible and closer to Publix and Wal-Mart, but we though only two ways in and out was inconvenient. Second, if you have to travel to Charlotte then you are stuck with the daily grind on Hwy 49. Traffic can be miserable at times and it can be pretty heavy if you are traveling to 485 or i77. However, if you are commuting to points west, Gastonia area or the airport then it’s a great spot.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:56 AM

Thank you for this - very helpful! We're currently short-term renting in north Belmont while we find a house, and the plane noise can get bad - like you said, at times - but I guess every place has some downside. Did you end up in Lake Wylie?

Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 AM

And does anyone on this forum live in River Hills, and have an idea how many people are just part-timers there? I know there's at least a number of folks with homes there who are snowbirds, but I have no idea what percentage and don't know who to ask.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle06 View Post
And does anyone on this forum live in River Hills, and have an idea how many people are just part-timers there? I know there's at least a number of folks with homes there who are snowbirds, but I have no idea what percentage and don't know who to ask.
For a year we lived in close proximity to River Hills, and I didn't find the plane noise to be objectionable in the least bit (if plane traffic was noticed at all).

River Hills is an established community that's highly regarded. As to whether or not people are part timers or not, I cannot say.

Mardnt's comments about traffic were spot on, and while the community is self sustaining (Publix, Walmart, etc.), it is a bit detached from other areas.

There has been talk of developing a parcel along 274 for many years; developers would like to bring in retail (e.g. Target) into the area.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 AM

If anyone knows someone considering selling in River Hills, please pm me. We've pretty much narrowed it down to this large subdivision but nothing's on the market that works for us right now. We're ready to buy!

Old 05-03-2019, 02:57 PM

9 posts, read 8,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle06 View Post
If anyone knows someone considering selling in River Hills, please pm me. We've pretty much narrowed it down to this large subdivision but nothing's on the market that works for us right now. We're ready to buy!

I know someone who is considering selling. I'd have to ask how many bedrooms they need. What are you housing needs? (number bedrooms/bathrooms etc). I am nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties