Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 05:56 PM

37 posts, read 131,334 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just closed on our townhouse in baxter village. I want to set up phone, internet and cable. Anyone have experience with gladiator WiFi? I am considering the following option: Gladiator WiFi for internet, Direct TV for cable and Vonage for phone. The other option is use comporium and bundle all three together.

Any opinions or advice?

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM

193 posts, read 633,961 times
I checked their web site since we might be interested too. It is short on technical details, but from what I could piece together it looks like they are building a sort of WiFi mesh-type network where the WiFi access points are daisy chained together.

What that means is that the network might become congested or slow once a lot of users get on it. It might also mean poor reception if your house is farther away from the access point. They do not say if they will locate the access point in the neighborhood, in every house, in every few houses, etc.

I would ask them about those sort of questions, what sort of minimum bandwidth they will guarantee. Vonage might be an issue over WiFi in this sort of network depending on minimum bandwidth they will guarantee.

Also ask them if they cap data transfer, limit types of protocols or ports, allow Vonage, provide QoS, strangle peer-to-peer transfers, or throttle bandwidth in any way. These are common issues with many carriers including the big guys. Most of those big ones have finally allowed the required ports for Vonage, but when we first got Vonage a few years ago we had issues...

Also ask which WiFi spec they use (e.g.- A, B, N, etc.) since your PC might not support the right type of WiFi, and if they plan on going to WiMax and when. If no WiMax, this is a dead end solution.

Please search the forum here for a discussion on WiMax and Clearwire for more info I posted on that.

Another concern I would have is if you have more than one PC or networked device in your home, but they do not locate an access point in your home over which you will have control. If the WiFi box is somewhere in the neighborhood but not in your house, you will not be able to plug in other wired devices such as the Vonage box (unless it is WiFi enabled, which newer ones might be).

With a cable or DSL modem in your house, this is simple. You plug a router (WiFi or otherwise)
into that modem, and then you have complete control over the devices you want to connect to your network. If the WiFi access point is outside your home, you probably won't.

You may end up paying per device that you want to connect to their WiFi network.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:40 AM

100 posts, read 373,978 times
We are in Baxter and have DTV. Of course, we have had it for over 10 years and love it. We are still on comporium for internet and phone, but would love to have an alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties