Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 PM

196 posts, read 619,476 times

Advertisements

I have always frowned on modular but the more that I look at them inside and out I think there is something to be said for the quality.

Can anyone speak for Superior Home Builders in Rock Hill SC ? I am looking to buy and I need to move in quick. I am renting a home at $1K a month and it is only a 3 BR. I need 4BR now since my Mom sold her home in FL and will be moving in with us in the next month. I guess I lose my office and I work from home so I need to build quickly.

I do not wish to buy fast for now then sell or rent it then build. We got the cash, looking to purchase 20-30 quiet acres and live on it for the next 15-20 years. The homes are guaranteed to be ready in 150 days and I have seen one almost complete for sale (property does not do anything for me though) and I have seen the models.

I could never tell they are a modular other than the common vinyl siding but then again most homes in this region use vinyl so that does not mean much, I would try to go cedar or brick face. I read documents and have spoken to some sales people and they all claim that financing, insurance, and appreciation value are the same as standard construction. I would like to hear from others that are not trying to sell me a product if this is true or not.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,479 times
Default Superior Custom Homes Opinion

Hi. I saw your recent post asking about Superior Custom Homes. We are currently having them build our home, and so far, they are great. We are building a very large home, and we had a ton of custom changes...we basically changed the whole plan. They were great with helping us design the home and the changes and are keeping on track with the timing of the home. Our salesman and planner was Ken, and he's been amazingly helpful in working with my wife and I. If you do decide to check them out, feel free to write me with any other questions. Try to get Ken if you can (I don't really know the other folks there, so I can't speak about them). Either way, tell them that Mr. Bush whose house they are currently building referred you to them and I'm sure they'll take care of you. Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:08 AM

3 posts, read 25,977 times
Default Superior...modular

We are in the process of deciding to build...and my hubby is totally against MODULAR...we have been to their beautiful subdivision out on the lake and they are great, but MODULAR doesn't have enough HISTORY for me!!

I keep hearing people say well you can customize it, but does that make it MORE and then I could just stick build? I know people say well the time, but 150 days is about 6 months...it only takes about that to build...Mr. Bush how many sq. ft are you building? Do you have the plans in email format? We have stick built plans about 3482 sq ft and are getting a quote of $338K....ALL BRICK. could we really save enough to warrant saving a month or two? The neighbors on the same road have built two SUPERIOR HOMES and they look great one even bricked it up later and it looks great!

Old 01-17-2007, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,669 times
Default Superior

Our modular home just got finished. I went to Superior when I first started looking. They had about a 6 month backlog when I went to see them about my home. This was in September. I ended up going to Carriage Homebuilders and got them to build my modular. My home is 3200 sq feet. Downstairs is 2200 with 3 br/3 bath. The upstairs is 1000 sq feet unfinished (we wanted to finish this ourselves). We paid around $180,000 for ours. I have absolutely no complaints with them. Greg is great to work with. I would talk to him and not Gary if you want to check out what they have. I would not deal with Faulkner Custom Homes. I hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 17,426 times
Default What does it really cost?

I am looking for advice on building a modular home. I got an estimate of $137,530 for the modular delivered and taxes. Then I got a call from a contractor who told me that he could finish the house for $200,000. That wouldn't include the basement or water or sewage or site preporation. That really made me want to reconcider the whole modular deal. Then for the basement unfinished he quoted $35,000 or $35sf. The modular company told me that on average it would cost me at most double the cost of the house for everything. Who is right?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joywest2001 View Post
Our modular home just got finished. I went to Superior when I first started looking. They had about a 6 month backlog when I went to see them about my home. This was in September. I ended up going to Carriage Homebuilders and got them to build my modular. My home is 3200 sq feet. Downstairs is 2200 with 3 br/3 bath. The upstairs is 1000 sq feet unfinished (we wanted to finish this ourselves). We paid around $180,000 for ours. I have absolutely no complaints with them. Greg is great to work with. I would talk to him and not Gary if you want to check out what they have. I would not deal with Faulkner Custom Homes. I hope this helps.
Did that $180,000 include total installation and hook up to the water and sewer lines? Do you recommend Carriage Homebuilders?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:35 PM

196 posts, read 619,476 times
We finally found the land and are waiting for the survey so we can close. We actually knocked on several doors when we stumbled upon a superior home and asked the home owner some questions, all were positive so I was surprised to see your e-mail.

lovethecarolinas I do not know of any way to buy factory direct and most GC's have no idea as to exactly how a pre-fab home works. I would be very apprehensive hiring my own GC to complete the work on a modular I ordered direct even if I could do it. That would be like hiring a Chevy mechanic to work on a BMW or vice versa. I am sure both mechanics are good but if they are shown somthing other than their specialty they are not going to be as good as they can be. Superior will allow you to GC your home and not make it turnkey which is great if you are a handyman. You can have them set the home and complete the main body while you do the rest (flooring, electrical, cabinets decking etc. etc) but I personally do not have the time and do not know "jack" as to who is good or not in the local trades to make a good decision on who finishes my home. Believe me I will have the time to do weekly visits to the site and complain if necessary to the GC but I don't have the time to look over a contractors shoulder every workday, I'd be out of a job.

Rich

Last edited by Marka; 06-21-2007 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 02-04-2007, 08:56 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,738 times
I appreciate the information Rich...but I am quite happy in Tega Cay I actually think it was lovesMountains that had interest in the modulars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post
lovethecarolinas I do not know of any way to buy factory direct and most GC's have no idea as to exactly how a pre-fab home works. I would be very apprehensive hiring my own GC to complete the work on a modular I ordered direct even if I could do it. That would be like hiring a Chevy mechanic to work on a BMW or vice versa. I am sure both mechanics are good but if they are shown somthing other than their specialty they are not going to be as good as they can be. Superior will allow you to GC your home and not make it turnkey which is great if you are a handyman. You can have them set the home and complete the main body while you do the rest (flooring, electrical, cabinets decking etc. etc) but I personally do not have the time and do not know "jack" as to who is good or not in the local trades to make a good decision on who finishes my home. Believe me I will have the time to do weekly visits to the site and complain if necessary to the GC but I don't have the time to look over a contractors shoulder every workday, I'd be out of a job.

Rich

Old 02-05-2007, 07:52 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I appreciate the information Rich...but I am quite happy in Tega Cay I actually think it was lovesMountains that had interest in the modulars.
Yep, that was me!!! Though I'm in good company if I am mistaken for you lovethecarolinas

I am interested in modular companies, particularly New Era since they seem to be one of the largest. The problem for many seems to be the local distributors or builders like Superior who set the homes on the lot. I went to Superior and was underwhelmed. Then I discovered they are just previous Clayton Manufactured Homes builders - a big red flag for me. There is a group of these type companies who have lost money in the manufactured home market and are now with a little tweaking calling their homes "modular" to get their companies in that market. But they are not "true modular" system built homes. BUYER BEWARE!

When/if I build a modular home it will be with a custom builder who only builds for true modular companies, not a manufacturered home builder - there is a big difference.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 8,147 times
i have personally worked on modular homes and wouldn't recommend. they are not the same as stick built or pre fab houses. the wood used for walls are not even 2x4 they are smaller. this weakens the structural integrity of the house, especially if it is more than one story. the house pieces are basically screwed together with huge bolts. the electrical system is installed before the sections are put together and is similar to a trailer. the receptacles and switches are not installed well. the type of receptacles they use just cut into the wire instead of stripping the wire out and wrapping it around the receptacle screw like you do in a regular house. everything may work when you move in but in time arcing will occur and you will have breakers tripping.
also when you move in, everything will look fine. over time (6 mo. to 1 yr.) the house will settle. way worse than a regular house settling. you will have severe sheetrock damage especially near where the sections of the house are screwed together. i've seen severe cracks in excess of five feet. after a finished ceiling cracks and has to be repaired it almost will never look as good as the original did.
don't buy modular. i don't care what anyone else says, they are not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties