Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 AM
MOC MOC started this thread

57 posts, read 190,876 times

Advertisements

I have recently bought a home in Fort Mill due to my husband being transfered from NJ. Before that I had never heard of Fort Mill, SC. While reading this forum for several months now I have realized that many people from all over the US are contemplating moving here and I am very curious as to why people are choosing this area over other places. How are people finding this little area of the US? The area is wonderful and coming from NJ the cost of everything is great. But what is it that makes people move here? Just very curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,115 times
We moved to Charlotte into an Apt from Miami. After being here for 2-3 months, we feel in love with the Fort Mill area where we are currently building our house. We decided on Fort Mill because of the expansion opportunity, lower taxes, school district, and convenience to everything we need/like.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:38 AM

156 posts, read 511,301 times
We moved here from Houston because my husband's employer whom he's worked for over 10 years is based in Fort Mill and they offered him a job at the corporate office.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM

225 posts, read 689,720 times
We moved here from NYC. The lower cost of living, the lower crime rates, the better education system, the lower cost of housing, the small city feel and the comforts of the southern hospitality.
We were tired of the overcrowding, over paying of taxes, goods and services, because of the city, we lived in. Here, we are able to enjoy ourselves, spend less money, live better, and about 200%, less stress (which has done wonders for my health conditions).
Everyone moves for different reasons, but it seems to be that the Carolinas have tons of transplants, they can't all be wrong.
Good Luck!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:39 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOC View Post
I have recently bought a home in Fort Mill due to my husband being transfered from NJ. Before that I had never heard of Fort Mill, SC. While reading this forum for several months now I have realized that many people from all over the US are contemplating moving here and I am very curious as to why people are choosing this area over other places. How are people finding this little area of the US? The area is wonderful and coming from NJ the cost of everything is great. But what is it that makes people move here? Just very curious.

Family brought me to the Charlotte metro area.
I detest NC.
My employer advised when I hired in that they were moving to the south part of Charlotte within a year. Had I stayed in NC, I would have had a 35 mile commute one way...no big deal except it is a big deal in Charlotte traffic.
So I did the next best thing, got out of NC and moved to Fort Mill, a mere hop skip and job to my job. A 15 minute commute and to be working in Charlotte is almost unheard of.

I prefer SC, I think in this area the crime is MUCH LOWER. Schools are terrific, it's newer, cleaner, and it's still pretty small. I actually can't think of a negative thing to say about Fort Mill/Tega Cay...not one. Taxes are wonderful, gas is usually the lowest in the nation, and pretty much if you commit a crime in York county? You're going to jail. So far lucky for us, this has detered the Charlotte crime wave somewhat from our area. Not that we don't have it, we just don't have a lot. I feel perfectly safe walking my dog at 10:30 at night in Fort Mill.

I can't say enough good about the state of South Carolina, and I thank God every day, for guiding me here, and giving me employment so that I can live in this area, and not NC.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,180 times
We were looking to retiring from the north for weather mostly, but also wanted an age restricted community. I have always loved the Charlotte area so we looked there and found Sun City Carolina Lakes. I am totally loving SC, as I am away from the Charlotte city, yet close enough to take advantage of it's activities.

I think the Fort Mill/Indian Land area is the best of all worlds! The people are great and the area is beautiful. We have the house, now just waiting to retire in 6-7 years! Although I'm moving down next month permanently, but hubby is staying here until this house sells or he finds a job. That's my next goal....a job!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,345 times
I got a job in Rock Hill and my kids were on swim team in our former town so we connected with swim team parents and they said Fort Mill had the best schools in the area at the time - this was in 1993.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 7,162 times
I lived in Charlotte all my life and after a couple years of Marriage, my wife and I decided to buy a home. We could not find anything our price range in Charlotte unless it was a beat-up forclosure in the Ghetto.

We found the Arlington sub-divison right over the border and found a beautiful area where we could avoid crime, congestion (not the case anymore) and a place to start a family. We built a house in our price range and reaped the benefits of low taxes and access to Charlotte within minutes.

Been there 3+ years and can't wait to see if Fort Mill will grow like Charlotte but avoid Charlotte mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties