Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 PM

45 posts, read 133,569 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone can help, but I am really scared.

I just got my first speeding ticket ever in my life, it was in SC and I live in SC. The more I look at info online the worse I feel.

Can someone tell me what is going to happen?

I am seeing sites online that state you are now considered a criminal, you can lose your job and you need a lawyer. I pay about $72 a month for car insurance now as it was a good driving record and good driver discounts. Is my insurance really going up that much?

Every person who gets pulled over is in danger of losing their job?? I think I am going to be sick, I don't know what to do...

The ticket is for 9 miles over the limit, so under 10 MPH. He said it was 2 points?

I don't know what to do?

Can someone please help me?

Last edited by sunsetgoddess; 11-07-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:50 PM

4 posts, read 15,020 times
where at, and whom givith the ticket?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 PM

45 posts, read 133,569 times
I finally found a site that had some good information. It looks like for a speeding ticket insurance may go up, but no where near as much as that other site said.

Has anyone here had a speeding ticket that was under 10 MPH in SC? What happened?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:43 PM

8 posts, read 27,978 times
I am a retired Police Officer.
You received a speeding ticket for 9 miles over the limit. Pay the ticket, take the 2 points and that is all that will happen.
If you keep the same Auto Ins company there is little likely hood they will catch the ticket, unless you tell them. In Florida you can take a driver class. This will remove the 2 points and stop the insurance increase if they find out about the ticket.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:56 AM

146 posts, read 572,407 times
If you receive a ticket going over 15 mph over the speed limit, you could lose your license and if your job requires you to travel or is provided to you by a company, it could affect your job... but what you have done is not a felony and wouldn't appear on any background check that a potential employer would ever see.

I think you'll have a court date on your ticket. I would represent myself and show up at the hearing. There used to be something called "Prayer for Judgement" that would put this ticket on hold and as long as you didn't get another ticket in 3 years (i think that's the timeframe), it wouldn't show up your license or insurance. But if you got another one during that time period, they would both show up. Make sense?

My husband was involved in an accident this summer. A deer ran out in front of him and he swerved into the other lane and hit a car. He had our kids in the car with him and the deer was coming at the side of the car so he took the path of least resistance. He got a ticket from the State Highway Patrol and it was 2-3 points. Luckily nobody was injured and he people we hit were very understanding and were very very nice. We hired an atty in Rock Hill and paid him $500. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of a referral b/c we never really heard from him other than through email and we never really heard the outcome. His response was if you don't hear from me, it's good news. Not how I do business but whatever... it's never shown up on his license and our insurance hasn't ever gone up.

Good luck and don't knock yourself up.
Renee

Old 11-08-2008, 07:57 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
I am sorry you got a speeding ticket ... but it's not the end of the world for you. Like Gary88 said your insurance company might not even pick it up if you stay with the same company.

South Carolina does not have "prayer for judgment," or any other procedure that will "suspend" the speeding charges, or "make them go away" North Carolina has that ... believe me I know I've had enough speeding tickets in SC to last a lifetime.

The ticket should have a court date, time and location. You can just pay the ticket and continue on your way or you can go to court ... which would involve time off from work probably. In the past I have gone to court and the fine has been reduced but not the points on my license. The ticket will disappear from your records in three years if you don't get another ticket.

Do you drive a company vehicle or use a company vehicle? I don't think one speeding ticket is going to hurt you unless you are driving daily for your employer and they have specific rules regarding their drivers and keep tract of your driving record.

You are not a criminal ... you won't find your picture hanging in the post office. This happens to the best of us ... my mother-in-law use to get tickets for going to slow ... City of Rock Hill cops knew her well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties