Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:00 PM

305 posts, read 1,808,348 times

Advertisements

Thanks y'all. Great info!

We're both over 55, so that's one good thing.

I'll be checking all this info out this evening.

Yes, Lancaster here IS beautiful. But not today. Today it's hard winds and cold. We actually had a tornado watch yesterday. Can you imagine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 05:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Sorry, my eye stopped at York Co. There is also the town of York (and Clover) which have more reasonable priced homes. I was thinking about Ft. Mill itself -town and township.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:53 AM

276 posts, read 476,806 times
I am 56 and poor.

Does Sun City have any modernist house sections? You would think with the age restrictions, they would build houses that our generation would prefer. Every one I looked at online was the same hokey multi-gabled ersatz 1888 vulgarity we now see all around us.

Also, the implication was that it was less expensive housing. It doesn't appear to be.

So, if the houses are over-priced and aesthetically embarrassing, what exactly is the point of the age restriction? That is to say, if it's the same vulgar, expensive, planet-busting dreck they have been building everywhere else, what is the appeal? Just being around fellow old people?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,180 times
Here is a link to the current inventory homes available in Sun City.

http://liveoncharlotte.com/Documents/SCCL_Inventory.pdf (broken link)

Unfortunately, the least expensive unit I see is $188,150 and that is for a Villa, which is like a condo. They will probably deal a bit, but you have to talk to them face to face to do so and I really don't know what's happening there. Also make sure to take into account the monthly HOA fees, which for the Villas and Carriage Homes is higher because of also having to take care of the outside of the buildings as well as the landscaping. That is currently $240 for Villas and $257 for Carriage Homes. Single family is $175. All these will be going up the first of the year by at least $10/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
I am 56 and poor.

So, if the houses are over-priced and aesthetically embarrassing, what exactly is the point of the age restriction? That is to say, if it's the same vulgar, expensive, planet-busting dreck they have been building everywhere else, what is the appeal? Just being around fellow old people?
To each his own.........so very glad that you find this community repulsive because your attitude is something we don't need here. Sounds like you need to buy some land and build your own so that you are happy with it. Everybody deserves to be happy in the home they live.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 PM

>your attitude is something we don't need here

You are right. Damn malcontent environmentalists trying to burst the great big McMansion scam we got going (oops, I think it already happened).

Attention corporate builders: For YOUR own good, you better start thinking 90K and 1000 sq ft the next time you build. The scam fueled by easy credit is over.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:47 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,022,585 times
Some people don't care for the quality but take a look at cpmorgan in clover they have a couple of ranch homes that should be in your price range.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 AM

161 posts, read 529,105 times
Sun City will be $200,000 and up---way up, and I suppose you will want to figure in the HOA fees there which are high. Concerning Avery Lake in Fort Mill--that is not "low income" housing--half of a duplex there will start at $118,000, but might be worth checking into. The houses are brand new, one floor, and are in a nicely wooded area. In IL, Highland Creek has new ranches starting in the 140's. You could probably find a resale ( a year or so old) patio home in the $140s in Arlington, also in IL. Cobblestone, in IL, has ranches starting in the 170's, maybe more than you want to pay. Also in IL, you might find a resale ranch in Clairmont or Legacy Park for around $150--these would only be a year or so old. Ashley Glen has new homes in the $150s, but I think most are two floors.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM

Real Estate agents are still trying to sell these things - don't waste your time.

These things were not built to meet public demand. They (corporate builders, lenders, and Wall Street) were building the houses they wanted to sell, not the houses people wanted to buy.

Without:

>Easy credit
>Hard sell on the part of lenders
>Spurious promises of investment return

the majority of the housing inventory built in the last eight years CAN NEVER BE SOLD AGAIN.

But the builders are still following the same business model. "Get in now on Commons Landing Preserve Estates! Minimum size to build is 3000 square feet!" No kidding. It's still going on.

The vast majority of people (about 85%) never wanted that hokey, morally offensive and aesthetically vulgar nonsense. They want small, eco-friendly aesthetically modernist houses.

So how long is it going to take for them to realize that business model is dead? When will they start building affordable, stylish houses?

Just to ask my original question again - if the physical appeal of Sun City houses are no different from the houses they've built everywhere else in the last eight years, and the prices of the houses in Sun City are no more affordable than the houses they've built everywhere else in the last eight years, then what is the point of even having "Sun City"? Just to segregate the old people or something?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 AM

174 posts, read 732,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
We are moving to York or Lancaster counties in SC sometime between April and May 2009.

Our budget is for a single family home under $150,000. My husband is a service-connect 100% disabled Veteran so we know that property tax is an exclusion for us in SC (well, that's what I read anyways).

It would have to be a 1-story (no steps), no pool, 2 br / 2 bath, with a garage (if possible) and built within the last year.

Or, if anyone knows of future developments (I doubt it in this economy) that would be very beneficial.

Thanks.
There is a really nice ranch that you guys could pick up in our community...Sunset Point. It actually is a foreclosure but it looks to be in excellent shape. It is right around 1600 SF with a two car garage. I'll bet you could get it for about 145K or less. A police officer owned it, sold it to another couple but they actually never owned it...the paperwork was screwed up. Sunset Point Homeowners Association Web Site if you want to check out the community.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:12 PM

153 posts, read 474,245 times
Teebopop - from Property Tax Guide (http://www.sctax.org/publications/propguid99.html - broken link)

For certain military veterans, veterans killed in the line of duty, paraplegics and hemiplegics
A house and up to one acre of land on which the house is located is exempt from property tax for veterans who are totally disabled from a service-related disability or the surviving spouse, for the surviving spouse of a military person killed in the line of duty, and for paraplegics, hemiplegics or their surviving spouses. Application should be made through the South Carolina Department of Revenue. Call (803) 898-5480 for information.
For POWs, disabled veterans, Medal of Honor recipients, and people required to use wheelchairs
Up to two motor vehicles are exempt from property tax for prisoners of war, disabled veterans, Medal of Honor recipients and people required to use wheelchairs. Application should be made through the South Carolina Department of Revenue. Call (803) 898-5480 for information.
Keep in mind that S.C. residents pay property taxes on vehicles and boats, in addition to homes and land.

If your husband needs V.A. medical services, there are some services offered at a facility in Rock Hill, but the V.A. center in Columbia - about 75 minutes away from Rock Hill, down I-77 - is where most veterans in this area of S.C. seem to travel to.

In Lancaster County (S.C.), I believe the state provides a van to the county for transporting veterans to their appointments. In turn, the county maintains the vehicle, and local veterans groups provide volunteers to drive the van. I think it runs once or twice a week, so veterans have to schedule their appointments accordingly to use the service.

I'm sorry I don't have any home suggestions. I wish you and your husband the best ... and thank you both for the sacrifices you make as a disabled veteran's family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties