Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM

56 posts, read 181,122 times

Advertisements

Is the greeter at the gate 7-24? Is the thief a daily event?
You guys could record the traffic in and out the gate. At least then there would be a record of the crooks as they enter and leave.
Residents could all be given transponders for their cars that signal the guard they belong. Surveillance cameras and dvr's are cheap enough and could be reviewed if thief occurs, maybe it already happens.
Security needn't cost a fortune it just needs to be used and monitor.
The main thing I want is safety for my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Real Estate Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Wow, I'm sorry you feel that way. Especially since MY house is only vinyl sided. The reason? We had a limited budget of what we could afford to spend due to the fact we hadn't (and still haven't) sold our other house yet in PA. And when it does sell, it will be for less than this one cost because we are selling in rural PA and not someplace that is an expensive city. We made the decision that we wanted to spend more money on the inside for things for our comfort and enjoyment, such as a sunroom and nicer kitchen cabinets, and not a lot on the outside for other people to enjoy, but not us. We have all kinds of people here, every one of us having pride in our homes and just because we all can't afford the fancy, dancy Manor homes with full brick front, doesn't mean we are cheap or don't deserve to have a home here in SCCL. I'm so very glad that my neighbors don't share your opinion and they accept me for who I am and not what I can afford. I wish you luck to find that highly upscale community that you feel would be better suited to your lifestyle. You might want to try Lake Norman.
Sorry I hurt your feelings about the vinyl. Actually, I was thinking from a real estate value viewpoint. A little brick on the front raises the value of that home and of the community in general. Resale value is important, as you know from trying to sell in this economy.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,345 times
Thanks JP9nine9 for the tax link. It is very useful.
Thanks very much rothbear for all the time and effort/information you put into your response to my lenghty post. I truely, very much, appreciate it!

Is there anyone else in SCCL who wants to offer information, need to know, (ie: read w/interest how even though gated, NOT limited access), stories of positive/negitive, etc.

Any tid bit shared very welcomed.

Any owner disappointed they moved to SCCL and why?

Cheers (presently in London U.K.)
Kathie

Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 AM

Default Friendly (?) Folks in SCCL

[quote=rothbear;11481698] We have all kinds of people here, every one of us having pride in our homes and just because we all can't afford the fancy, dancy Manor homes with full brick front, doesn't mean we are cheap or don't deserve to have a home here in SCCL. I'm so very glad that my neighbors don't share your opinion and they accept me for who I am and not what I can afford. I wish you luck to find that highly upscale community that you feel would be better suited to your lifestyle. You might want to try Lake Norman.
quote]

Wow, is everyone in SCCL this friendly and inclusive? Do all of the "vinyl neighborhoods" resent the "Manor home" people this much??

Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 AM

56 posts, read 181,122 times
Default Security ?

thanks
btw congrats to the Yankees

Last edited by jp9nine9; 11-05-2009 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: overpost

Old 11-05-2009, 10:48 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp9nine9 View Post
Is the greeter at the gate 7-24? Is the thief a daily event?
You guys could record the traffic in and out the gate. At least then there would be a record of the crooks as they enter and leave.
Residents could all be given transponders for their cars that signal the guard they belong. Surveillance cameras and dvr's are cheap enough and could be reviewed if thief occurs, maybe it already happens.
Security needn't cost a fortune it just needs to be used and monitor.
The main thing I want is safety for my home.
We do actually have bar code stickers to put on each car. I think cameras have been discussed, but again put aside because of cost. Although Pulte did pay for a radar gun and pay for the education of an officer to come in a day or so per week to keep the speeding down. The thefts have been mostly golf clubs and have been from open garages, and lately some cars. It has been happening in several communities around this area. If you are planning on being away for longer periods of time and really want, you can get a home security system. All the houses are already wired for them and you only have to choose a company, get the keypads installed and pay the monthly fee. Let me do say that for the most part most people feel safe in the area. I always let my neighbors know when I will be gone and they keep watch. I stop my paper and mail and use timers as well. Please don't let it scare you off, but I just wanted to correct your assumptions because we had the same ones and were a bit upset to find out differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Sorry I hurt your feelings about the vinyl. Actually, I was thinking from a real estate value viewpoint. A little brick on the front raises the value of that home and of the community in general. Resale value is important, as you know from trying to sell in this economy.
Brick on the front of our house in PA hasn't helped at all. It's location, location, location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Wow, is everyone in SCCL this friendly and inclusive? Do all of the "vinyl neighborhoods" resent the "Manor home" people this much??
No as a matter of fact, I have friends who live in all different houses and I don't judge any of them by where they live. They are no less nor any better than I am. And if they act that way, they are no longer my friend. I'm sorry, but I guess I had a knee jerk reaction to your statement that vinyl homes were cheap. And your "vinyl neighborhood" statement says more that I ever could about your snooty attitude.

And that is the last I will say on this subject.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Default Fancy, Dancy Manor Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I'm sorry, but I guess I had a knee jerk reaction to your statement that vinyl homes were cheap. And your "vinyl neighborhood" statement says more that I ever could about your snooty attitude.
I'm sorry, but I guess I had a knee jerk reaction to your "fancy, dancy Manor homes" remark.

The snarkiness of your statement says more that I ever could about your discriminatory attitude against people who may have a little more money than you, or those who choose to wait and sell their first home before buying a second one.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 AM

Concern about Future Value of Sun City Homes

My concern is that by Sun City now offering homes at a very base level--vinyl floors, formica countertops, no hardwood or tile--that the general comparables in the community will be lower. Granite, tile and hardwood used to be standard, now they are upgrades. Some buyers will upgrade, but many may go with all the base features and also not add any brick, etc. to the front of the homes, thereby lowering the appraisal price of all the homes in the neighborhood. I could see that snowbirds, in particular, might do this and also buyers who could otherwise not afford the community. While this is convenient for them and a profit for SCCL, it will lower the general prices of all the homes in the area, especially the more expensive Manor homes.

Even though a person may plan for this purchase to be their last home, you never know. Circumstances change and one may have to sell the home and move elsewhere. A good sales price would be boon in such circumstances.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 PM

18 posts, read 31,164 times
Red face House Cleaning services

Hello Everyone! I was wondering if anyone would happen to know approximately how many homes are in Sun City Carolina Lakes? I was wondering because I'd like to offer house cleaning services to the residents in the area. My family and I moved to the Indian Land area about a year ago, and like many others... I have been unable to find work since our move. In addition to my professional skills, I'm an excellent housekeeper and wanted to try to supplement our family income by utilizing my domestic skills. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, if any of you could use someone to help out around the house or know someone who could use the help, I would be very grateful for the opportunity to ablige!

Please feel free to email me at firefli514@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:34 AM

19 posts, read 64,396 times
Default Curious about quantity of resales

There always seems to be an "inventory" of 12 to 18 SCCL resales (built in 2006 - 2008) on the market over the last year or so. I understand that moving from a fairly new home are for a variety of reasons but I was wondering if anyone has an insight into a general trend here.. For example, are these sales due to buyers who bought for an investement and feel it's the right time to sell? Are some due to disatisfied buyers who are not happy with the way the area has changed in the last two years? Are some due to buyers getting "homesicK" for their previous home or wanting to be closer to their families? Just wondering... Thanks for any info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties