At the beginning of the 20th century, the area now occupied by Humboldt Lagoons State Park was known as Dry Lagoon. It had been drained farmers to grow crops, but none of them turned out to be profitable. Dairy ranchers later moved in along the rocky shores of neighboring Stone Lagoon, but when they abandoned the land, the marshland began to reassert itself as a natural habitat for marsh plants, migratory birds, and various wetlands insects and animals. Dry Lagoon State Park was established here in 1931 and renamed in 1981 when the original 1,000 acres was expanded.
Today, the Humboldt Lagoons State Park supports a rich variety of life. Its Visitor Center, including a museum and bookstore, was established in a former motel-restaurant, the "Little Red Hen," that went out of business in 1979. Two day-use only picnic areas have been established, one near the Visitor Center and another at the north end of Stone Lagoon along the beach.
Beach combing, bird watching, whale watching, and agate hunting are some of the many outdoor activities that can be pursued at Humboldt Lagoons State Park. Two popular hiking trails have been developed the three mile Coast Trail and the six-mile Big Lagoon Beach Trail. Visitors are also welcome to bring their own small craft for boating and fishing. The address is 15336 Highway 101, Trinidad, California 95570.