Upper Grant Avenue is one of the oldest streets in San Francisco. It has a north-south layout that starts at market Street and to the foot of Pier 39. Grant is a one-way street with traffic running northbound. The street was originally named Calle de la Fundacion, which means street of founding in Spanish. During that time in the 1840's the town was named Yurba Buena. After the property was owned by the United States the street was named Dupont after the naval officer from the USS Portsmouth. After the great 1906 earthquake in San Francisco the street was named Grant Avenue after president Ulysses S. Grant.
Today the street is the southern entrance to San Francisco's Chintatown. It has several shops and dining options and is a popular place for locals and tourists. The street location is busy and always has a constant flow of people from various backgrounds. While walking Grant Avenue one will get a good sense of the entire city of San Francisco as it is a good representation of the city and its people. Since it is the entrance to Chinatown there are quite a few Chinese influences in the way of people, shops, and restaurants.