Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,789,239 times

Advertisements

Why is it every thread mods don't like are shut down? I know this is a heavily moderated site, but c'mon, i've never seen threads shut down like the one i'm one alot. Seems like it just gets going where people are really debating and BOOM!!, shut down. Shouldn't there be a balance?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,178,759 times
Here's what it says in the ToS about that:

Quote:
All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
Those of us who've moderated a forum for a while know instinctively which thread topics will degenerate into flame wars, because they can't be discussed in a civil fashion. Often, the frequent posters in a forum will report a new thread like this before it even has a single reply! So what you don't see is that the moderator got a nudge from members.

You're welcome to send a direct message to us and inquire after we close a thread if you think otherwise. Fortunately, the list of those incendiary topics is usually short... and if you're not finding enough controversy in your local forum, you can always visit the Politics and Other Controversies forum, which is loaded with controversial topics.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,436,530 times
There are alot of threads that are guarenteed going into flaming wars that usually get locked after the "same ol same ol" posts occur.

I have seen ones locked by Mods who locked threads or deleted them (like mine) because they have no idea what they are about so they do sometimes get over zealous. It be a bit nicer of Mods had more of an expertise in their forums they are modding.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
There are alot of threads that are guarenteed going into flaming wars that usually get locked after the "same ol same ol" posts occur.

I have seen ones locked by Mods who locked threads or deleted them (like mine) because they have no idea what they are about so they do sometimes get over zealous. It be a bit nicer of Mods had more of an expertise in their forums they are modding.
It gets very annoying, as soon as a thread gets going, it's gone. Some i can understand why and some i can't.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,279,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Some i can understand why and some i can't.
Possibly because you never see the posts that already got deleted.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 PM

9,900 posts, read 10,850,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

Well said........ I have had very good threads deleted because the mod doesn't understand the subject or does not have enough of an imagination to understand where I am taking the topic. I have also noticed that after being on this forum for 4 years, you can still be on the verge of being booted if some random mod comes along and decides they are going to make your life miserable over petty chicken sh*t stuff. I must say that there have been some very good, decent and respectful mods on this forum, unfortunately they don't seem to last.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:48 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,279,939 times
Unfortunately, your "petty chicken sh*t stuff" may be hurtful or offensive to others. Moderators are appointed for the very reason of keeping balance between different views. If a lot of people report your post as offensive, we will probably delete it whether or not you like our decision. Sometimes we don't and then your opponents complain the way you just did. Well, nihil novi: that's how any moderated forum functions.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 PM

9,900 posts, read 10,850,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
Unfortunately, your "petty chicken sh*t stuff" may be hurtful or offensive to others. Moderators are appointed for the very reason of keeping balance between different views. If a lot of people report your post as offensive, we will probably delete it whether or not you like our decision. Sometimes we don't and then your opponents complain the way you just did. Well, nihil novi: that's how any moderated forum functions.
Marka over the time I have been on this forum on balance you and yac have been fair to me , I certainly don't always agree with your decisions, especially of late, but you usually are willing to listen to my protests or objections and I can say at times reversed mods decisions. The "pettychicken sh*t stuff" I am talking about is deleting a thread because of a "Vague" title, yet there are dozens of "Vague" titles, or issue an infraction and deleting a thread for "trolling" that had been in existence for weeks or months and someone else bumps it up.Half of p&oc threads are trolls. When you all of sudden start having more issue in the last several months with the same mod than you have had in the whole last 4 years, you start to become suspect. I have had these suspicions confirmed by other and former mods. My whole point is....... some of us have been around for a while and are known........ That, I think, warrants a certain amount of respect and the courtesy of a warning or just a pm telling us to watch it as I have had former mods do. It shouldn't be about how loud and often opponents scream.....obviously some people will be offended by everything and anything some of us post. And when it is a moderator thats when it becomes a real problem.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,436,530 times
I had one deleted because of spoke of Clans/Guilds wanting to know if people were in em. Fair enough delete the links but not the post.
The Mod said that renting servers was illegal and could not be discussed :S

Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM

It just boggles my mind because we have free speech in this country. I do know these forums are privately owned, free speech isn't on the rules and regs here. I do like these forums, some of them are very informative. I like to debate and even if i'm not debating a topic i like to read them. I just think some are closed unfairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum