Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,963 times

Advertisements

I frequently see threads where there are discussions going on and the thread is closed for no reason. It seems completely unnecessary to close the thread when there is a lively discussion going on. I understand the need for moderation but being a little heavy handed on how long a particular discussion can last is overkill. Sometimes threads are closed because they have already been discussed, other times it appears the moderator feels there is no need to be discussed further. It's very inconsistent.

Moderator cut: link to thread deleted, see comment

Last edited by Bo; 06-04-2010 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Can't discuss specific examples in this forum. You can ask the mod who closes a thread for an explanation by Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:36 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Usually when Moderator close a thread, he will post the reason.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:39 AM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
But not all the time.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,984 times
No. Sometimes we don't want to bump a thread when closing.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,902 times
I close a thread when a discussion has degenerated into an argument among two or three people, if I've had to delete a lot of posts from the same posters for being off-topic, if others on the forum have lost interest in it, if members who aren't part of the "discussion" are reporting the posts and I've issued infractions/warnings to the members involved and they've been ignored.
A moderator doesn't have many options at that point, other than closing the thread, if you want to keep peace in a forum.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
It seems completely unnecessary to close the thread when there is a lively discussion going on.
Sometimes that lively discussion is off-topic for the forum.

For instance, suppose several posters descended upon this thread and started swapping cookie recipes. That might turn the thread into a lively discussion of whether sugar cookies are better than chocolate chip, but it would not be on topic for the forum or the thread.

I'm being facetious here, but there are some more dynamic examples of tangents, like religion and politics, that can quickly steer a thread onto a dead-end street in Off-Topicland. If the original topic is not appropriate for a Religion or Politics forum, the thread can't be moved to one of those, so it must be closed. When I close a thread for this reason, I always explain the dilemma created by the tangent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum