Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 05:27 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times

Advertisements

Is there a moderator we (yes there are many of us) can complain to regarding the request for a NY subforum for the Hudson Valley/Catskills? A request for a Hudson Valley subforum has come up many times thru the years and keeps getting ignored. I don't understand.... not even a firm no.....just a complete ignoring of the request. The Hudson Valleycomprises a HUGE area on both sides of the river. Threads regarding towns in that region and the Catskills get lost in the main NY forum. They don't fit into Westchester or Albany forums. Sure would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:44 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Is there a moderator we (yes there are many of us) can complain to regarding the request for a NY subforum for the Hudson Valley/Catskills? A request for a Hudson Valley subforum has come up many times thru the years and keeps getting ignored. I don't understand.... not even a firm no.....just a complete ignoring of the request. The Hudson Valleycomprises a HUGE area on both sides of the river. Threads regarding towns in that region and the Catskills get lost in the main NY forum. They don't fit into Westchester or Albany forums. Sure would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Moderators, even Senior Moderators, don't make those decisions. They are made by the Administrator. Subforums aren't based on the size of the geographic area, but the number of threads/posts about that particular area. You will see several requests for subfora here in this About the Forum section, all with the same answers. If you have been sending your requests to moderators by PM or posting them in threads in the NY forum, instead of posting them here, I would suggest posting a thread making such a request here.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Moderators, even Senior Moderators, don't make those decisions. They are made by the Administrator. Subforums aren't based on the size of the geographic area, but the number of threads/posts about that particular area. You will see several requests for subfora here in this About the Forum section, all with the same answers. If you have been sending your requests to moderators by PM or posting them in threads in the NY forum, instead of posting them here, I would suggest posting a thread making such a request here.
Thank you observer53, I will do just that tonight after work. I didn't send any via PM to moderators, but I did put request thread in the NY forum. Appreciate your feedback!

Old 12-14-2015, 08:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Is there a moderator we (yes there are many of us) can complain to regarding the request for a NY subforum ...
Sure would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

This post is located in the FAQ forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
A: New sub-forums are added when there are enough threads about the area. This decision is not based on the population of the area. We prefer not to add sub-forums for large geographical areas. Adding a local sub-forum requires moving all previous threads related to the area into the new sub-forum, so it's not a very quick procedure.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:19 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
The Hudson River Valley is a sizable tourist destination and a desirable place to relocate that encompasses an area 150 miles north of NYC; much of it encompasses 10 counties yet it is not represented in other of the areas that account for the current NY sub-forums.

National Geographic Traveler has proclaimed the region as ONE OF THE TOP 20 DESTINATIONS IN THE WORLD and much of it encompasses 10 counties of New York state.

It also represents one of only 49 designated National Heritage Areas in this country.

I have been in active C-D member for a long while, actively participate in 5 local boards in various quadrants of this country and I am stumped as to why there is not a appropriate sub-forum. Sadly, I cannot find simple information on the region that I can easily locate and receive any other forum in a matter of minutes.

Please. Let's get with 2016, property represent this great state and it's second biggest destination area, and add a sub-forum for the Hudson River Valley.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
All that matters is the NUMBER of threads about the area.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-04-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
All that matter is the NUMBER of threads about the area.
Yes, but I think many do not post threads because they simply do not know where to post them. The few in the main NY forum get lost in the shuffle. I think you would see the number of threads go up if members had a designated subforum in which to post them.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, but I think many do not post threads because they simply do not know where to post them. The few in the main NY forum get lost in the shuffle. I think you would see the number of threads go up if members had a designated subforum in which to post them.

But, they don't create subfora on the chance that people will post more threads -- there's no way to know if what you suggest is actually happening, either. There has to already be a sufficient number of threads about that area.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
But, they don't create subfora on the chance that people will post more threads -- there's no way to know if what you suggest is actually happening, either. There has to already be a sufficient number of threads about that area.
Yes, that was explained to me when I posed this question in the proper place. A catch-22.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:22 PM

Other subfora have been created because there were a sufficient number of threads to justify it. People figure out where to put threads, or they put them in the state forum, where they may or may not get moved to one of the subfora. I have faith that people in the New York forum and subforums can figure it out, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum