Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,764 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Let's celebrate the miracle of adoption!! I will start first. After struggling with infertility, (tubal factor), I gave birth to my now 12 year old son through the miracle of IVF. A few years later, we tried again, but this time we had a failed IVF attempt.

Since my husband was adopted, we knew adoption was always an option. A friend of ours had a friend who had recently adopted a beautiful baby girl from California. She found out all the information, and after countless phone calls, we went with a facillitator in California. This facillitator only deals with open adoption and birth moms in their third trimester.

After completing our homestudy, and sending in our birth mother letter, we got called the very next month. There was a birth mom who had chosen us to parent her unborn baby girl. From the time we sent in our birth mother letter to the time our daughter was born, was less than three months.

My daughter is now six years old. My kids are exactly six years apart. My only wish is that we had chosen adoption sooner. But then again, we wouldn't have our beautiful miracle girl!!!

(disclaimer) During the time we did IVF, my husband had insurance. Also, a family member helped tremendously with finances for adoption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
we have adopted three times after one healthy bio son. our oldest daughter is from Korea and is 27 years old. She came home at 3 months.

Our next two girls are 8 now. both from Vietnam and only 4 months apart in age. one came home at 3 months and the other at seven months.

We are very happy. Adoption is a great way to build a family.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I adopted my son from US foster care when he was 9. Been a fun ride so far.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times
Hi

We are the adoptive parents of 2 beautiful little girls from China. They were adopted 3.5 years apart and are from different provinces. We traveled to China both times, spent 2 weeks for each trip.
We are very fortunate to be close to our oldest daughter's group , we live fairly close to most of them and the girls have a special tie with eachother.

As for our experience and why we chose adoption.
After trying to get prenant and some preliminary testing and doing things "the old fashioned way", as in monitoring my temperature, my ovulation,etc..... it wasn't working.
For personal reasons, we did not choose to go the IVF route. One was that I had very close friend who at the time, was going through it and things were not working for them. She was devestated and I honestly don't feel that I could have handled that nor could we have proceeded financially with IVF and if that failed, an adoption process.
Having a biological child was really not that important to us, having a child and becoming a family, was the most important thing.
I always tell people that just because someone gave birth to a child, doesn't mean that they are a parent.
So, I was sitting in church one Sunday and was reading the bulletin before mass and there was something about adoption there. It just kind of stuck out and I went home & said to my husband, " I am calling this place on Monday" and so it happened.
We spoke to this particular agency and they were wonderful. We felt that we should research other agencies as well and we already knew that we wanted to go the international route, we had already looked into Domestic adoptions and felt there were many risk factors we weren't willing to deal with.
We knew of course, there would be risks with any adoption, not knowing our children's medical history is huge to us, but it wasn't reason enough for us, to not pursue an International Adoption.
After visiting several other agencies and attending several information meetings,we knew the one we started with, was the one we were going to work with. We are so happy we did!
We had some "snags" along the way, 9/11 played a huge part in our delay for our referral for our 1st daughter and I thought sometimes it was never going to happen.
It did however & a year after bringing her home, we knew that we wanted to do it again!
The paperwork process was daunting at times, but I tell people, please,please don't let that stop you if adoption is really in your heart. It will be fine!

Our girls are the highlights of our lives and adoption is a wonderful way to create or add to your family. We are always told how lucky our girls are, but in reality, it is us who are the lucky ones.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,284 times
My daughter and SIL were trying to get pregnant and did go thru IVF and it never worked. So, they signed up with an adoption agency and was going thru them. Then one day out of the blue, I got an email from a friend of mine and she forwarded another email asking her if she knew a good family who wanted to adopt a baby! Wow! Daughter and SIL met with bmom the end of July, baby was born in October. Adoption was finalized YESTERDAY. A beautiful baby girl has come into our family and the love she has brought with her cannot be measured.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
My daughter and SIL were trying to get pregnant and did go thru IVF and it never worked. So, they signed up with an adoption agency and was going thru them. Then one day out of the blue, I got an email from a friend of mine and she forwarded another email asking her if she knew a good family who wanted to adopt a baby! Wow! Daughter and SIL met with bmom the end of July, baby was born in October. Adoption was finalized YESTERDAY. A beautiful baby girl has come into our family and the love she has brought with her cannot be measured.
Congratulations! Much happiness to you, Grandma.

My sister could not conceive and adopted my niece as a two-month-old 22 years ago. I am so happy she did.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I am 43 now but I was adopted when I was only 3 days old.
While I have met my biological Mother and two brothers, my real parents are the ones that raised me.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am 43 now but I was adopted when I was only 3 days old.
While I have met my biological Mother and two brothers, my real parents are the ones that raised me.

Natural Child: Any child who is not artificial.
Real Parent: Any parent who is not imaginary.
Your Own Child: Any child who is not someone else's child.
Adopted Child: A natural child, with a real parent, who is all my own.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't love my baby girl (even though she is now six) anymore than if I birthed her myself. Well, technically her birth mom gave birth to her. But she was born in my heart!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Our girls are the highlights of our lives and adoption is a wonderful way to create or add to your family. We are always told how lucky our girls are, but in reality, it is us who are the lucky ones.[/quote]

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption