U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 PM
34 posts, read 91,001 times
Reputation: 72


Hello, I and my husband have discussed possibly becoming foster parents but are unsure how to actually get started on the path. I realize there is training and home studies and such that would need to be done, but do we just call up DSHS (we are in Washington state) and say "hey, we'd like to be foster parents" or is it better to work through an agency? From what I've read it sounds like an agency can offer more support and be very helpful, but I'm unsure how to locate a good one or what criteria to ask about and so on.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Location: Chicago area
1,105 posts, read 2,901,239 times
Reputation: 2106
Here is some info about becoming a foster parent in your state: Become a Foster Parent

They apparently have a foster family recruitment line in your state at 888-543-7414. I'd start there and they should be able to give you info about local agencies as well. The major foster care agencies in my area, like Lutheran Charities and Catholic Charities, offer regular info meetings for prospective foster parents. It's probably available in your area too. The meeting that I attended was very informative and I got a chance to get all my questions answered. I'd highly recommend going to one of these meetings, maybe even at two different agencies so you can compare them.

I don't know if it's better to go through an agency or the state but I would guess that you'd do better with an agency as they tend to be smaller and have more resources than the state since they can fundraise to get more income while a state agency has to stick to an ever shrinking budget.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM
16,487 posts, read 21,030,641 times
Reputation: 16171
OP, yes, just call Health and Welfare and tell them you want to start the process of foster parenting. They will probably take your info and have a social worker call you back. I am in Idaho and we were foster parents for 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top