Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 AM

16,609 posts, read 10,786,736 times

Advertisements

I guess this could just as easily go in the TV forum, but since this forum is more likely to be frequented by adoptive parents, I figured I'd try putting it here.

Have you ever seen any adoptive families in commercials? I'm thinking specifically of any such instances where the fact of them being an adoptive family is not relevant to the product or service being advertised (so, ads for adoption agencies don't count!), but rather simply showing people doing something or using a product or whatever, and it's merely incidental that the people happen to be a family through adoption. In other words, I'm looking for ads that show adoptive families as being as "normal" as any other. I suppose that I'm talking specifically about transracial adoptive families, because same-race adoption wouldn't be apparent in a 30-second ad.

I've heard of a few such ads, but I've not personally seen them. The only one I've actually seen was a print ad in the grocery section of a Target store, showing a white father and his Asian daughter, playfully balancing an egg against each other's foreheads in their kitchen. Not exactly an ad, but similar, was the promotional DVD I got from the Disney Vacation Club, that included an adoptive family (white parents, Asian kids) among the families enjoying their Disney vacation experiences.

Anyone know of any other ads that show normal, everyday families that just so happened to have been formed through adoption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 PM

589 posts, read 1,554,060 times
I can't remember the name of the product/service but there is one out now where a couple is introduced to their son. Clearly an adoption, possibly international. I wish I could think of what it is. We formed our family through international adoption so it hit very close to home for me.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:15 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,466,923 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iypEKHxHt8

Well, this one hit me right in the feels. I've seen a few others.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,343,454 times
There's on now- can't remember for what, which shows two men carrying an Asian little girl about 1 year old and looks like they are introducing her to extended family. This takes place outside. I notice things like this all the time and while they aren't as numerous as we would like, it sure is better than it was a few years ago. I'm happy to see more same sex couples with kids in commercials as well.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:41 AM

589 posts, read 1,554,060 times
Default Found the commercial!

It is called "homecoming"

Watch Zillow's TV Commercials | Zillow

Old 08-21-2015, 10:51 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,944,600 times
Well most all you can do is assume the kid is adopted.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,302,211 times
I just watched a commercial for a breakfast food item. The lead character was pretty clearly an Asian, boy about 11 to 13. His sister and parents appear to be white.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:56 PM

24,166 posts, read 32,723,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I just watched a commercial for a breakfast food item. The lead character was pretty clearly an Asian, boy about 11 to 13. His sister and parents appear to be white.
Yes! I recently noticed the Eggo commercial, where there are white parents and an older white daughter 13-14 and an Asian son, 9-10.

Thanks for reminding me!

Racially blended families by adoption are not overly represented in commercials - we notice them, and appreciate them, though!

Old 08-22-2015, 02:48 PM

24,166 posts, read 32,723,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
There's on now- can't remember for what, which shows two men carrying an Asian little girl about 1 year old and looks like they are introducing her to extended family. This takes place outside. I notice things like this all the time and while they aren't as numerous as we would like, it sure is better than it was a few years ago. I'm happy to see more same sex couples with kids in commercials as well.

I am happy to see same sex couples too! Diverse, loving families of all stripes are a pleasure to watch.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:42 PM

16,609 posts, read 10,786,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes! I recently noticed the Eggo commercial, where there are white parents and an older white daughter 13-14 and an Asian son, 9-10.

Thanks for reminding me!

Racially blended families by adoption are not overly represented in commercials - we notice them, and appreciate them, though!
Thank you both for pointing me to this commercial. I love to see adoptive families represented as "normal" in the media (which is why I started this thread in the first place), and since my own family is white parents/Asian kids, this ad "clicked" even more for me.

And here it is!

EGGO Breakfast Sandwiches TV Commercial, 'Broken Toaster' - iSpot.tv

But ugh, some of the comments are horrible! Are people really that clueless about even the mere existence of international adoption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption