Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 08:21 AM

31 posts, read 76,923 times

Advertisements

Hello there. my husband and i want to adopt a young child, however the thought of having an infant is very intimidating. we were willing to go through the foster care system until we were told that older infants and toddlers are rarely available. Does anyone know of any domestic agencies that place this age group? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,232,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDia View Post
Hello there. my husband and i want to adopt a young child, however the thought of having an infant is very intimidating. we were willing to go through the foster care system until we were told that older infants and toddlers are rarely available. Does anyone know of any domestic agencies that place this age group? Thanks!

I've heard it is extremely difficult as well.

My brother who adopted is here visiting and he told me about this site. He said it helped him.

Good luck

Adopting - Adopt a Baby, Child, Infants, Kids, Older, Services, International, Information China -

I already know there will be at least one comment about you know who and her kids on here.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,071,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I already know there will be at least one comment about you know who and her kids on here.
What is that supposed to mean?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,071,373 times
www.davethomasfoundation.org

This organization has a special every year about adoption. Dave Thomas was the founder of Wendy's restaurants (named after his daughter), and was adopted himself. He worked for years with adoption. Check it out. There are always a ton of kids who need homes.

Also, you might want to try Wednesday's Child. They have listings of hundreds of kids. www.adopt.org/wednesdayschild This outfit also sends regular updates and suggestions via email.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 PM

427 posts, read 1,389,017 times
Although older children are placed more often in foster care there are babies available. Especially if you do not care what race they are. We got my brother when he was only 10 weeks old straight from the hospital, two years later he was adopted.

Just be prepared that adopting through foster care can be a long process. And their is a chance that the child will be returned to their parents. In my brothers case there was no way they were going to get him back.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:38 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,980,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
In my brothers case there was no way they were going to get him back.
LOL that sounds familiar ... we adopted our first child and picked her up when she was two days old ... we went through the state and had the case worker visiting our home ... sometimes by appointment and other times with a surprise visit.

Hubby and I told them out front ... there is no way you will ever get her back!!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:25 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,486,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Seems like you are the one who is really so obsessed with her and thinking about her constantly like you claim we all are.

I haven't posted a thing about her on any thread other than one specifically about her. You're the one who took it upon yourself to mention her on a completely unrelated thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption