Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times

Advertisements

This is a great thread, I'm planning on visiting the city sometime later on in the year.

What's the music scene like, specifically for jazz? I've heard lots of good things from acquaintances but I need to visit for myself and truly experience the city. I absolutely love Ethiopian food, I would love to sample the food on the street etc. I'm not a fan of eating what I can get back home when I'm abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
IMHO, outside of the capital is the best. Just drop dead beautiful. In Addis it is conjested and at this time a lot of building is going on. There are a lot of people that flood the capital. It is one of the safest places in Africa and or the world. The food, there is plenty of that and all kinds. Ethiopia is known for its beef, so not sure why the other poster wrote that the meat was bad. No, you don't get food poisoning all the time and there is plenty of fish. But fish is not popular meal of choice unless one is fasting.

In some parts of Addis it can be dark at night, but there are lights and frankly their is a huge nightlife. I wouldn't say the place is walkable (not like the states, having nice paved walk ways, and it can be just dangerous to cross the street). The traffic and driving in Addis I would NEVER advise, it is just crazy.

Also, beggars aren't allowed to ask for money any more only around the church areas. There could be more hospitals, but there are hospitals and nice ones too (if you have the $$). Addis and Ethiopia in general is one of my favorite places (I must say I have a bias as well).
Sounds great. It's difficult to meet people who've been there. Didn't realize there was a huge nightlife, which basically means safety in numbers as well. Makes it even better.

Interesting about the beggars.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sounds great. It's difficult to meet people who've been there. Didn't realize there was a huge nightlife, which basically means safety in numbers as well. Makes it even better.

Interesting about the beggars.
I didn't know that either! I thought it was a fairly conservative country.

There is so much happening on the continent right now. It's amazing so many of us over here have no idea about it...

Old 07-01-2012, 12:44 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
wordlife, I've got to post pictures and videos. There is jazz (mainly Ethiopian Jazz so not sure that will be your thing), but they have something for everyone. The shows at night are really GREAT! They have A LOT of reggae and American music and of course their own cultural music.

The country is pretty conservative that is why people dance mainly with their chest. Most events are centered around some traditional religious holiday but although conservative you can find just about anything there (one thing that is truly heart breaking to see if the prostitution, it is not blatanly obvious but it is there).

Old 07-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Old 07-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Old 07-01-2012, 01:30 PM

This club/restaurant is owned by a popular singer Aster Awake.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
I like Aster Aweke. Had no idea she owned a nightspot in Addis. And I had no idea that Ethiopia is as stunning as these pictures make it it out to be. I might have to push it to the top of my "must visit" list.

If it's safe, beautiful, and culturally unique, why isn't the rest of the world hearing more about it?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
If it's safe, beautiful, and culturally unique, why isn't the rest of the world hearing more about it?
I think it takes a lot to shake the stronger images of 'famine' that people usually project on to Ethiopia.

I'm with you, that Ethopia is high on my list of countries in Africa I'd love to visit, but I think that's why the rest of the world isn't tuned in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa