Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 01:14 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,439,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Maybe. I was reading about the 1980s Ethiopian Famine that ravished the country; one of the most interesting aspects at that time was there was no evidence of it in Addis Ababa. People were dying of starvation across much of Ethiopia, but few if any were compelled to seek food in Addis itself, and Addis didn't have starving people. I always thought that was interesting.

Equally, Ethiopia has continually had one of the most rural-based societies in the world. Even now, Addis is only 3.3 million while the country is 109 million. While a nice big massive 'city park' COULD draw people in from the country side (which is one of their largest city transformation goals), I can't imagine it would be that big of a rural-side draw.

But, who knows, we'll see as Addis Ababa transforms with new parks and skyscrapers and such.
Oh the people will come. That is for certain. Pretty much every country in the world goes through this phenomenon of transformation from rural to urban population.

The one thing that Ethiopia will want to strive very hard to avoid is the mass emigration of people to Addis when the city is not ready to absorb that much population, as that is how you end up with slums in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
With the 80's famine and famines throughout the ages in Ethiopia they did not ravish the country, people were not dying of starvation across most of Ethiopia. This is incorrect information that has plagued Ethiopia for many years. People from Northern Ethiopia couldn't just relocate to Addis Ababa even though many affected people were relocated to other parts of Ethiopia. What you are asking/writing is equivalent to asking why is there fires in CA or homelessness in CA but not in FL or that because something happened in CA it happened all over the USA. There wasn't a famine in Addis Ababa although there were (are) very poor people. Addis is not the only major city in Ethiopia.

People from the country side for the most part will remain in the countryside those people don't just move. New infrastructure in the capital will draw in people with the $$$ and who are tourist. Other regions are going through updates as well, not as rapid as Addis but improvements are happening every where. Farming is essential to the Ethiopian economy and I don't see this changing. The GERID (dam) will provide water and electrical security that will mitigate issues around drought conditions. BTW millions of people didn't die during the 70's famine nor in the 80's famine for the record - there is no evidence to back up such claims.

With new infrastructure it will benefit everyone in some capacity or another. For some to think otherwise just don't understand development and or economics. Many people that were living in shacks in Addis were given places to live in much better conditions.

Anyways, Ethiopia just like much of Africa will continue to grow and improve its infrastructure it is an exciting time for Africa. Ethiopia doesn't need to be the next Dubai I'm happy with it being Ethiopia - the Lion of Africa.
The key will be if the Ethiopian government can create enough opportunity in the countryside so that people are not tempted to move to Addis in search of higher paying jobs and better lifestyles. The lack of wealth earning ability has always been the driver of people from the rural areas to the city in just about every country in the world, and Ethiopia will be no different unless the root conditions can be addressed

Old 09-08-2020, 02:18 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
The key will be if the Ethiopian government can create enough opportunity in the countryside so that people are not tempted to move to Addis in search of higher paying jobs and better lifestyles. The lack of wealth earning ability has always been the driver of people from the rural areas to the city in just about every country in the world, and Ethiopia will be no different unless the root conditions can be addressed
The government can not create all of these opportunities - this has to be driven by the people and their collective effort reflective of the Ethiopian goal, direction (vision) and spirit of its people for the country. The people in the country side need new techniques and equipment and fair prices. Ethiopia is a HUGE country - people from the countryside aren't just going to up and leave the countryside (this doesn't happen). Some people may continue to send their children to Addis and or other large cities to make $$ but I think this will happen less and less over time. Many youths are going into construction more so than farming at this time and as education spreads throughout Ethiopia it is possible that more youth will go to larger cities. Many people in the countryside know about the new development but still don't want to change their way of life. Some will go but many more will stay where they are at (mainly the older people will stay and some youth especially the educated ones will go). You won't have farmers in Bahir Dar relocate to Addis - just won't happen. There are many incentives the government gives for farmers so I only see this expanding. Additionally, many manufacturing hubs/parks are opening across Ethiopia so this will also reduce the number of people from moving as much.

Ethiopia has always taken in people from other countries (responding to a comment you made above) - this past year was the first time I can remember that they disallowed some migrants. Migrants seriously need to be vetted on the basis of drug trafficking and terrorism association (I see this as a growing issue).

Old 09-10-2020, 05:33 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
Addia Ababa will struggle to become another Dubai.

Seacoast / Port is required for any city to be an international trade hotspot.
Ethiopia has no access to sea after Eritrea was formed. No Container Traffic ??

Old 09-10-2020, 08:56 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Is anyone reading the article?

The Dubai reference is SOLELY related to Addis Ababa and the transformation of the city from a construction boom. Here is the article again: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...rm-addis-ababa

That being said, from a journalistic standpoint, the author of that piece did a good job of creating discussion based on a title alone. If the title had been "Addis under a Construction Boom", the article wouldn't create discussion, and posting this on city-data probably wouldn't have got attention or interest either.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is anyone reading the article?

The Dubai reference is SOLELY related to Addis Ababa and the transformation of the city from a construction boom. Here is the article again: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...rm-addis-ababa

That being said, from a journalistic standpoint, the author of that piece did a good job of creating discussion based on a title alone. If the title had been "Addis under a Construction Boom", the article wouldn't create discussion, and posting this on city-data probably wouldn't have got attention or interest either.
OK I finally read the article and I see what you mean. Yeah the writer used a bit of "journalistic license", pulling a quote out of context to create the impression that someone thought Addis was going to be the next Dubai.

You know, for years I have been fascinated by the journey of the Asian Tigers, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Around 1950, all of these countries were poorer than even some African countries. And yet today all four are all developed, first world countries, richer than many European countries. I've often wondered how did they do it? None of these countries had natural resources such as oil, yet they were able to build massive economies and industry.

The one thing they all seem to have in common is that they focused initially on programs that had a widespread effect; education being the top priority. Then the focus on establishing several industrial zones all around the country to attract foreign investment

They didnt go the way my native country of Nigeria did and spend/waste huge amounts of money on fancy building projects in the capital city (first Lagos then Abuja) while ignoring everyone and everything else. I hope I'm wrong, but the article seems to suggest that Ethiopia is following the failed Nigerian method. Putting so many resources into Addis is not going to promote the sort of spread out growth that benefits the whole country, and Ethiopia has over 100 million people spread out all over the country.

Plus the sort of development being pursued from the article is not going to positively impact the majority of the population living in Addis itself. A whole bunch of parks and coffee shops and expensive homes being built, but someone in the article pointed out that most people currently living there could never afford these amenities. But in the end time will tell.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:25 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
Quote:
OK I finally read the article and I see what you mean. Yeah the writer used a bit of "journalistic license", pulling a quote out of context to create the impression that someone thought Addis was going to be the next Dubai.

You know, for years I have been fascinated by the journey of the Asian Tigers, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Around 1950, all of these countries were poorer than even some African countries. And yet today all four are all developed, first world countries, richer than many European countries. I've often wondered how did they do it? None of these countries had natural resources such as oil, yet they were able to build massive economies and industry.

The one thing they all seem to have in common is that they focused initially on programs that had a widespread effect; education being the top priority. Then the focus on establishing several industrial zones all around the country to attract foreign investment

They didnt go the way my native country of Nigeria did and spend/waste huge amounts of money on fancy building projects in the capital city (first Lagos then Abuja) while ignoring everyone and everything else. I hope I'm wrong, but the article seems to suggest that Ethiopia is following the failed Nigerian method. Putting so many resources into Addis is not going to promote the sort of spread out growth that benefits the whole country, and Ethiopia has over 100 million people spread out all over the country.

Plus the sort of development being pursued from the article is not going to positively impact the majority of the population living in Addis itself. A whole bunch of parks and coffee shops and expensive homes being built, but someone in the article pointed out that most people currently living there could never afford these amenities. But in the end time will tell.
Ethiopia's focus is also on education - do you understand what has been happening with the educational policies in Ethiopia?
Ethiopia has been focusing on establishing industrial zones as well.
No Ethiopia isn't following Nigeria.
The development expressed in the article is going over one city that happens to be the capital city - other areas are also developing. Capital cities should be very developed. The country needs clean drinking water and widespread electricity which the country has been working on. Development is extremely important to Ethiopia and other African nations. The construction alone provides jobs and growth in addition changes the landscape of having higher expectations. Some way of life in Ethiopia and across the continent should never be normalized.

Having good hospitals, transportation, good roads, fast internet or just internet access, etc etc is much needed as it was outdated. NY city has more amenities and infrastructure then neighboring cities and certainly has more accommodations then any city in Mississippi because there is more money there - improvements will always squeeze people out, people will go where the money - this is no different as it relates to Addis.

Having one fancy hotel or building then expecting tourist to be happy with their experience doesn't make sense to me. It is 2020 many things need advancement in Ethiopia, and development will be wide spread and takes time. Development is essential to Africa and just about any nation in the world. If the USA didn't create buildings - running water - electricity - parks who would want to invest who would see the potential of prosperity - who would take pride in the country?

Old 09-10-2020, 11:20 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
There is something about Ethiopia, to me, that feels similar. I've been living in Asia for a couple decades now, including a decade in South Korea.

One of the things I saw with South Korea is that the gov't began promoting their South Korean corporations - including massive tarrifs on non-Korean cars being sold in South Korea, etc. They did the same with electronics (Samsung, etc.) The other big one was that South Koreans were absolutely filled with nationalistic pride which created this stunning work-ethic with this Korea #1 superiority belief that didn't seem true at all during the years I first arrived there, but turned out to become true with their continual belief that it were true.

With Ethiopia, they have Ethiopia Airlines which is well-known as one of the very best airlines in Africa (along with the South African ones)...and they were at the forefront of the first metro train line in Sub-Saharan Africa. In short, there seems to be some momentum and drive within Ethiopia to create and push and produce....

But, yeah, other African nations have tried too...but whenever I've visited Ethiopia, I just always feel this energy with the people and the place, that reminds me a lot of being in S. Korea for me in the 1990s.

We'll see what happens though...

Old 09-11-2020, 09:32 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
Ethiopian Airlines is a wonderful organisation. Biggest Airline of Africa, it has provided connectivity to the whole continent. So many passengers - Indians going to South Africa, British going to Uganda Nigerians going to China (just giving some examples) connect at Addis Ababa

Old 11-17-2020, 12:04 AM

264 posts, read 100,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
With the 80's famine and famines throughout the ages in Ethiopia they did not ravish the country, people were not dying of starvation across most of Ethiopia. This is incorrect information that has plagued Ethiopia for many years. People from Northern Ethiopia couldn't just relocate to Addis Ababa even though many affected people were relocated to other parts of Ethiopia. What you are asking/writing is equivalent to asking why is there fires in CA or homelessness in CA but not in FL or that because something happened in CA it happened all over the USA. There wasn't a famine in Addis Ababa although there were (are) very poor people. Addis is not the only major city in Ethiopia.

People from the country side for the most part will remain in the countryside those people don't just move. New infrastructure in the capital will draw in people with the $$$ and who are tourist. Other regions are going through updates as well, not as rapid as Addis but improvements are happening every where. Farming is essential to the Ethiopian economy and I don't see this changing. The GERID (dam) will provide water and electrical security that will mitigate issues around drought conditions. BTW millions of people didn't die during the 70's famine nor in the 80's famine for the record - there is no evidence to back up such claims.

With new infrastructure it will benefit everyone in some capacity or another. For some to think otherwise just don't understand development and or economics. Many people that were living in shacks in Addis were given places to live in much better conditions.

Anyways, Ethiopia just like much of Africa will continue to grow and improve its infrastructure it is an exciting time for Africa. Ethiopia doesn't need to be the next Dubai I'm happy with it being Ethiopia - the Lion of Africa.
Noted.

It appears that Ethiopia does indeed have the potential to attract many tourists as well as foreign direct investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa