Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 PM

522 posts, read 963,322 times

Advertisements

I tried to ship food to Africa, the post master told me that he felt for me and that he truly knew what I was trying to do..but that it just won't work.
Why?! I said.
He explained to me that there is just not a way to get it to those regions without it being intercepted , usually by pirates and other criminals.
He also told me that others have attempted to do this as well and that they also had to be told the same.
I am so saddened by the fact that we cannot send something to someone who really needs it.
Is there anyone out there with a solution?!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Only solution is a full scale invasion of most of Africa. Many of these groups are supported by the individual nation's government. They commit horrible acts with the government's blessing and the government can sit back at the UN and say these men aren't their nation's troops. My dad was sent to one African nation to train oilfield workers. The government stole his passport and visa. He knows it was the government because the government official said if my dad gave him $100 American dollars he would find his passport and visa. My dad gave him the money and the government official handed over the passport and visa. The African continent is rich in natural resources and should be an economic powerhouse. Instead it is the most corrupt and vile place on earth.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen570 View Post
I tried to ship food to Africa, the post master told me that he felt for me and that he truly knew what I was trying to do..but that it just won't work.
Why?! I said.
He explained to me that there is just not a way to get it to those regions without it being intercepted , usually by pirates and other criminals.
He also told me that others have attempted to do this as well and that they also had to be told the same.
I am so saddened by the fact that we cannot send something to someone who really needs it.
Is there anyone out there with a solution?!
Thank you!
Frankly, it's a depressing situation. Additionally, todays aid can even help to support populations and population growth beyond the lands ability to provide so some types of aid can actually push off the problem until later.

The best advice I can give you is that if you want to EFFICIENTLY and HUMANELY help people in Africa....research charities that help there. (American Harvester, CROP, I think those are two...top of my head.)
Groups like this will be far more expert in getting the right aid into the right hands.

Almost all of the starvation issues in Africa are due to politics (selling food while you let the rival tribe starve), incompetance (Zimbabwe giving farms to cronies), gross overpopulation etc. etc.

Please think long term fix, not short term band-aid and do your homework.

You have a good heart. Best wishes.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
If you do not have the right connections it will not work. I work closely with an organization to send shoes for children in Africa but the people that I work with travel to the point of destination to receive the package prior to it's arrival. They make sure the shipment is transported to the warehouse and they do the delivery themselves to the children in the most rough neighborhoods where tourists are not allowed or not encouraged to go. It is a tough call because if you dont know the right people your package may never get to the ones that need it the most.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:21 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Why sending food to Africa ? What kind of food ? africans are really starving ?
i don't think it's a good idea but if really needed like medecine,use US companies like DHL,UPS or Federal Express,do not use the post office for that kind of package but it's not cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa