Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Caleb, it seems like most of your bad weather complaints revolve around the car. Maybe Youngstown has a better mass-transit system than Akron, but I haven't had to start, scrape, or dig out a car since I moved away from home 11 years ago.

And, I had this to say about weather, in another thread:
The car is merely an example that I believe most can relate to. As far as roads, and wet, cold days and evenings there is simply no comparison.

I believe if you google the top 50 cities with the least sunny days, Akron rates at number 37....if that isn't a telling stat, what is? Believe what you want but, after having lived in a few places south these past 3 decades, there is just noooooo argument that is going to be adequately defensible for the weather in the greater Akron area.....just can't make that math work.

Stay warm my friends.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:10 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
The car is merely an example that I believe most can relate to. As far as roads, and wet, cold days and evenings there is simply no comparison.

I believe if you google the top 50 cities with the least sunny days, Akron rates at number 37....if that isn't a telling stat, what is? Believe what you want but, after having lived in a few places south these past 3 decades, there is just noooooo argument that is going to be adequately defensible for the weather in the greater Akron area.....just can't make that math work.

Stay warm my friends.....
It's all a trade-off. I can't think of any place that doesn't have at least 2 months of bad weather. (even San Diego has "May Gray" and "June Gloom") Me, I prefer to stay in NE Ohio, and deal with 2 months of cold/gray weather in February/March, rather than hot/humid weather in July/August. What good is more sun, if I have to stay inside--in the AC--anyway?

Just wanted to add that I am not trying to change your mind. You obviously like where you are better, but that doesn't mean it's better for everyone.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
It's all a trade-off. I can't think of any place that doesn't have at least 2 months of bad weather. (even San Diego has "May Gray" and "June Gloom") Me, I prefer to stay in NE Ohio, and deal with 2 months of cold/gray weather in February/March, rather than hot/humid weather in July/August. What good is more sun, if I have to stay inside--in the AC--anyway?

Just wanted to add that I am not trying to change your mind. You obviously like where you are better, but that doesn't mean it's better for everyone.

Couldn't agree more. I just think that some who were born, raised, and will probably die there should try something a bit different. Same can be said for those in the same role down here. No place is for everybody. For me, I put a premium on climate as I like to be outdoors a lot. I lived there for 10 years and visited it routinely for the last 34. I have a good taste of both.

I do wish you well and do know that the best weather is coming to you shortly. Have a great summer.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Couldn't agree more. I just think that some who were born, raised, and will probably die there should try something a bit different. Same can be said for those in the same role down here. No place is for everybody. For me, I put a premium on climate as I like to be outdoors a lot. I lived there for 10 years and visited it routinely for the last 34. I have a good taste of both.
Lived in the south for a while. Prefer 3 months of being inside because it's cold to 3 months of being inside because it's 90 degrees and 100% humidity. I can add clothes to be warm. I can't strip my skin off to be cooler.

I would prefer more sunlight\less gray in spring\fall, though.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:24 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
I wouldn't live in the SE US for almost anything. I get hot too easily. & I'm skinny. lol Sadly, since I moved to dry Utah, when I came back to Ohio for a visit in July, it was about 60 at midnight & I was sweating. Oy!

Ohio really can be good. I feel bad it seems to have turned down in the past few decades. One of the things I do notice is Utah is more sunny than gray Ohio, & it makes me feel 'better'. It might sound silly, but, for me, it's true. I love the sun. The grayness of NE Ohio brought me 'down' every winter.

I'm still happy to visit & proud to say I'm from Ohio & root for THE Ohio State Buckeyes (obviously lol) , but, I don't want to come back. I'm sorry.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,293 times
I think the problem is that poor people just cant afford to cover their shi$t as well as the "wealthy ".

Old 07-13-2011, 05:40 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My (limited) understanding of Section 8 housing is that the owner of a house is going to be paid a lot more than a rental property is worth, if it houses Section 8 clients, by the government.
Until this type of government waste is ended, we're all paying for slum lords to house poor people in substandard housing. Who wouldn't take advantage of that?
I know someone with 90 houses with Section 8 residents, who doesn't really care about complaints, because if the residents move out, there is always someone else to take their place. Sad but true.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My (limited) understanding of Section 8 housing is that the owner of a house is going to be paid a lot more than a rental property is worth, if it houses Section 8 clients, by the government.
Until this type of government waste is ended, we're all paying for slum lords to house poor people in substandard housing. Who wouldn't take advantage of that?
I know someone with 90 houses with Section 8 residents, who doesn't really care about complaints, because if the residents move out, there is always someone else to take their place. Sad but true.
I'm pretty sure that's not true. I think Section 8 rents are based on market rate rents of an area. The "allure" of making your property Section 8 is that you are guaranteed to get at least part of the rent owed to you every month. Of course, if your property is a rat trap in the middle of decent rental properties, then yes, you would probably get more than your property is worth.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 PM

310 posts, read 1,357,040 times
That area is scary. My boyfriend was robbed in broad daylight at a gas station in that area. The McDonalds doesn't even have a dine-in. A friend of mine who is a social worker in the area works with kids. One kid told her he was going to be a drug dealer when he grew up and he'd make more than her! It's amazing to me how these people live their lives. Section 8 is supposed to be for the people who really need it and are genuinely poor. Yet, you'll see 'ghetto thugs' (whatever you wanna call them) living in section 8 housing, driving brand new cars, wearing brand name clothes, and going shopping in the middle of the day when most people are WORKING at their JOBS.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM

310 posts, read 1,357,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I wouldn't live in the SE US for almost anything. I get hot too easily. & I'm skinny. lol Sadly, since I moved to dry Utah, when I came back to Ohio for a visit in July, it was about 60 at midnight & I was sweating. Oy!

Ohio really can be good. I feel bad it seems to have turned down in the past few decades. One of the things I do notice is Utah is more sunny than gray Ohio, & it makes me feel 'better'. It might sound silly, but, for me, it's true. I love the sun. The grayness of NE Ohio brought me 'down' every winter.

I'm still happy to visit & proud to say I'm from Ohio & root for THE Ohio State Buckeyes (obviously lol) , but, I don't want to come back. I'm sorry.

I agree Ohio is okay, but the weather SUCKS. It's almost always cloudy and dreary here. I enjoy the little summer we do get here because it doesn't last long. It's winter I dread. I plan on moving somewhere sunnier when I can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton