Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 AM

436 posts, read 1,647,282 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I have lived in Akron for about 10 years now but I don't know much about the Goodyear Heights area. Can anyone give me some insight (i.e. what areas/roads to steer clear of)? Is it a relatively safe area?
Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times
I cant say for sure citygirl but from reading crime watch I would stay away from newton st. west of Britain, and anything west of Brattain rd, and Goodyear blvd from market to newton. but I cant say for sure.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:58 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,092 times
Had some friends that lived in Goodyear Hts in recent years. Basically a blue collar, working class area with a bit of riff-raff mixed in. The better parts are east of Brittan Rd and north of Newton St. South of Goodyear Hts park is also solid. Things get shady going west on Newton or Eastland down the hill. Ellet is a much better alternative if you are going to be living on the east side of Akron though.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 AM

436 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Yeah I was looking at Ellet too - would prefer that side but was just wondering if I was missing a hidden gem of an area in the GH neighborhoods.
Thanks!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:04 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,092 times
Well, if you're looking for a hidden gem in the Goodyear Hts area I suggest the neighborhood directly south of the Goodyear Hts Metropark, between Park Blvd and Darrow Rd. This spot has great park access and is close to the highway.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 10,102 times
Does anyone know anything about Kennebec Ave, in Goodyear Hts.? My daughter is looking at a house there but we know nothing about the area.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,745 times
I have two daughters, and they grew up in Goodyear Heights area around Newton St., and Goodyear Blvd. That part of the heights isn't an ideal area, but Kennebec Ave is really a nice lower middle class neighborhood. I would buy a house there. Only that the neighborhood degrades heading from there toward S. Main. However around Kennebec is really nice an well kept.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM

14 posts, read 22,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Had some friends that lived in Goodyear Hts in recent years. Basically a blue collar, working class area with a bit of riff-raff mixed in. The better parts are east of Brittan Rd and north of Newton St. South of Goodyear Hts park is also solid. Things get shady going west on Newton or Eastland down the hill. Ellet is a much better alternative if you are going to be living on the east side of Akron though.
What about housing around Malasia Park--this is just a few blocks west of Newton--is there Akron airport noise pollution in this neighborhood just southwest of Goodyear Heights Metro Park?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 36,727 times
There's a little bit due to the proximity to the airport but not enough that it's heavily disruptive, at least in my experience living right off of that part of the heights so far.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM

40 posts, read 186,633 times
I am quite familiar with Goodyear Heights. In general, the area east of Brittan Road and north of Goodyear Boulevard is better off than the area west of Brittain Road and south of Goodyear Boulevard. 15 to 20 years ago, this distinction mattered much less, but the community's fortunes have definitely changed for the worse over the past few decades in the wake of the industrial collapse. Many of the older homeowner residents that were retirees of Goodyear and General Tire have died off within the past decade or so, and their homes have become rentals for a much more transient population that isn't as invested in the community.

Least safe is probably the area west of Seiberling Elementary along Newton St, and south of Barber Elementary, along Eastland Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton