Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:56 PM

11 posts, read 28,736 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Akron...so we aren't familiar with the area at all. We are checking out rentals in the following neighborhoods...any input/advice would be appreciated. Just to give you an idea of what we are looking for...We have a 2 yr old, so I want to feel safe enough to go on walks with him or take him to a park...yet we have a budget...of about $500-$600/month for rent.

Area #1: Adams Street off of Forge (only about a block from the city hospital). It's an old home, and from google satellite map images the neighborhood is very old (as is half of Akron), and it's right by the Akron City Hospital. I want to know if this is a "safe" neighborhood? Is it noisy? I noticed it was by some train tracks, but I'm not sure if trains run on it.

Area #2:Newton Street off of Darrow Rd (near GoodYear Heights Metro Park). This is a townhome...just wanting to know more about the neighborhood

Area #3: 744 Collette Dr (Park Lane Manor-off of Cole Dr...East of 77) This is in south-east Akron...again wanting to know more about this neighborhood.

Area #4: 1069 Orlando Ave off of Little St (1 block South of Copley) this appears to be West Akron...how is this neighborhood?

Area #5: 63 N Balch - corner of Aqueduct (North of W Exchange)...this might be in the Highland Square Area??? would like to know more about the neighborhood.

I appreciate all of your help and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:34 PM

57 posts, read 173,914 times
Avoid area 1, not good by the hospital.

Try Cuyahoga Falls. Safe area and you should be able to rent within that price range.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:34 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,633,893 times
I will agree with Cuyahoga Falls. I have had great times everytime I am there. Very nice area.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:20 AM

436 posts, read 1,648,203 times
Default Areas

Area #1: Would not recommend.
Area #2: I have heard that the immediate area around Newton isn't spectacular, but maybe another poster can help out with this one.
Area #3 I'm not too keen on.
Area #4: I would not live here. If at all possible, stay north of Copley Rd. Even better, stay north of Delia Ave. I would just cross this one right off your list.
Area #5: This is actually too far East to be considered Highland Square. Eeee. Well, I don't think I would live there but I might go as far as to say that it's probably a better option than Area #4.

I'm guessing you don't want to go the apartment route and would rather rent out a house? What made you chose these areas if you don't mind me asking?

In response to the above posts - I agree that CuyFalls is nice also.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 28,736 times
Thanks everyone...this is helpful. I would prefer to rent a house for privacy reasons...and laundry hookups...and a yard. But, I'm open to apartments too. For sure I need laundry hookups.

I was bummed to hear about area#4 the house looked so cute, but I want to be somewhere safe.

I picked these areas, because I knew to stay away from South Akron...but wasn't sure about the other areas.

My goal is Cuyahoga Falls (how to you pronounce that?)...but things are a little pricer there. Any recommended places to rent...my budget is $500-600...of course wanting to be on the lower end, but that might not be possible???

Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Have you looked into North Hill? It is just south of Cuyahoga Falls. The trick in NH is to stay as north as you can, preferably bordering the Falls. It is cheaper than the Falls while still being in Akron and there are some good neighborhoods. (Note: Schools in this area leave much to be desired. Jennings is a terrible excuse for a middle school while North HS being a miserable high school. I don't recommend this area based on quality of schools because I don't have children. Have a plan in mind if you plan to stay long.)

If you look into North Hill:

1) All of the neighborhoods north of E. Cuyahoga Falls Avenue and East of Main Street are good to excellent. They become better the more north you go toward Cuyahoga Falls/The Gorge.

2) The neighborhood boxed in by Main Street to the East, Howard to the West, E. Cuyahoga Falls Ave to the South, and Cuyahoga Falls to the north is mixed and there is generally a dividing line here that you need to understand. I can't give you the exact perameter but you'll recognize it after a few minutes of driving. Essentially in the box I declared, the northern area is gorgeous (even nicer than the area defined in #1) while the southern part of this box should be avoided.

3) The small neighborhood East of Route 8 between the new Honda Dealership and Roadway is very safe and quiet.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 PM

57 posts, read 173,914 times
Keep in mind of the town just next to Cuyahoga Falls is called Stow, and it is very nice. Stow has a good deal of duplexes in the area. Non-ghetto, safe family community.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 AM

436 posts, read 1,648,203 times
Default #4

I swear I posted another response to this yesterday.....

I spoke to someone I know that lives on the North side of Copley Rd. and he seems to think that #4 on your list wouldnt be a problem.
So, I guess maybe it's a matter of preference, I don't know?

If you live remotely close to Akron, maybe you could swing by these areas and take a look. All of us can only give you an idea but sometimes you need to see for yourself to get a vibe.

I agree with Puddy on the 'box' in North Hill.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:26 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,182,589 times
hey born and raised in Summit County I agree with the Falls or Stow and I would also consider North Hill (Akron). They all have desirable areas as well as those to stay clear of. Best thing to do is get a map if your not familiar with the areas and drive them. Time spent up front will surely reward you long term

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,160 times
Come to Highland square for sure...by far the best nieghborhood in Akron. Then again, if your not renting..it may be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton