Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 11,360 times

Advertisements

Which bank is most common (locations, ATMs) in Akron?
I'm moving from Los Angeles (primarily Bank of America).
My wife is originally from Atlanta (primarily Wachovia).
Just wanted a heads up to move some finances around ahead of time.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 PM

50,406 posts, read 64,141,570 times
I recommend FirstMerit Bank. Is is an old, locally owned bank which I have worked for in the past, and have banked with for 30 years. They have many branches and ATMs. For a mortgage I would recommend Third Federal Savings, also a long established locally owned bank.
It is my experience that the big national banks are bad news, don't care about their customers, and if you have a problem that's just tough.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 PM

436 posts, read 1,649,993 times
There is National City Bank - - soon to be PNC Bank (PNC in Pittsburgh bought out National City). I have been with NCB from the beginning (savings/checking). No complaints here.

There is also Chase and Charter One.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:17 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,948,189 times
I agree with gentlearts, chains suck. I don't live in Akron, i live in the Youngstown metro, but i bank local with First Place Bank based in Warren and Home Savings based in Youngstown (not sure they're available in Akron), i usually get auto loans from our local credit union.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:11 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,382,890 times
I bank with Suntrust (a south eastern bank out of Charlotte) cant beat them! free checking which pays int.no fee for ATM card or using it all charges from the ATM is refunded to you the next day.
as for First Merit ....I didn't want a debit card just a ATM card,easy huh? the customer is always right huh?
wrong First Merit wanted to charge me one dollar a month NOT to have the fake visa card on my ATM card,why is this your fake visa (debit) make the banks Millions yearly off of overdrafts.

I opened a checking account at First Merit Just to have a "a local" check for certain needs but it ends there.

check out Suntrust vs any banks in the area and then you will see what your missing.

but I may be wrong.....

Old 03-26-2010, 07:32 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,004,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I bank with Suntrust (a south eastern bank out of Charlotte) cant beat them! free checking which pays int.no fee for ATM card or using it all charges from the ATM is refunded to you the next day.
as for First Merit ....I didn't want a debit card just a ATM card,easy huh? the customer is always right huh?
wrong First Merit wanted to charge me one dollar a month NOT to have the fake visa card on my ATM card,why is this your fake visa (debit) make the banks Millions yearly off of overdrafts.

I opened a checking account at First Merit Just to have a "a local" check for certain needs but it ends there.

check out Suntrust vs any banks in the area and then you will see what your missing.

but I may be wrong.....
AFAIK Suntrust doesn't have any branches in the area, so that wouldn't really fit the topic.

BTW, Westfield Bank, which has a branch in Fairlawn (and is based in Westfield Center) is currently offering 3.50% on checking balances up to $25,000. Why they would do that I have no idea...

I'm going to second FirstMerit as a recommended bank. Out of state banks can eat it.

And Wachovia is dead (Wells Fargo, but no branches of those either - just mortgage and investment offices).

Old 03-28-2010, 04:34 PM

50,406 posts, read 64,141,570 times
I live in the Westfield Bank area, and I think they are good and solid, but they will not be able to offer many ATM locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton