Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:40 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I will have been in Iowa three years in August.

I miss Meijer and Tim Horton's coffee.

That's it.

I found a source for Faygo Rock and Rye! Rocket Fizz, 1550 N. Ankeny Blvd., in Ankeny.

About every three months, I email Meijer corp and ask them them put a store in Iowa.

If I had the money, I'd put in a Tim Horton's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:58 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM111 View Post
Lol you're joking right? The only morons are the ones who cling to a withering state like Ohio. Name something substantial that Ohio has going for it. Oh, the Cavs won the NBA Championship. Ohio is a cesspool. No place is perfect ... Vegas certainly isn't but it has a hell of alot more than Ohio.

I'll tell you one reason to move to Vegas from Ohio .... MONEY! If you make say 100k in Ohio and have 250k home ... by moving to Vegas, you're going to save about $12,000.00 per year ... just in State taxes, local taxes and property taxes.
I have taste, so I don't like Vegas. I think I'd live just about anywhere else though.

Seriously, what a miserable, disgusting, lowest-common-denominator place. I've never met anyone from Vegas that I liked.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:01 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
stadium mustard

Old 06-29-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
stadium mustard
This is better: Great Lakes Dortmunder becomes a mustard - The Beer Blog - Ohio

Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
I would say the people. Having lived on the east coast for a very long time I truly appreciate Midwestern politeness.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I would say the people. Having lived on the east coast for a very long time I truly appreciate Midwestern politeness.
I feel you. East coasters are just miserable in life.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:01 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Have you ever noticed that you can pick fellow Midwesterners out by their demeanor? I live in the south now, and it is almost as though we all ooze Midwestern niceness pheromones.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 4,851 times
I grew up in Kent. I have lived in the DC metro area for about 15 years now. Things I miss...
Chip Chop Ham
JoJo's
Polar Pop
Beer and Cig Drive Thru's
Broasted Chicken and Hot sauce ( rice )
Telling distance in Minutes, I always tell people how places are 10 minutes from here or 7 minutes from there, they always look at me like I am crazy. I wish they understood.
Pop. Now, I grew up calling it pop, when I visit back home I call it pop, when my cousin comes up to visit I call it pop, but any other time, it's soda. When I say pop, people look like I am speaking in tongues.
Sav-a-Lot
Big Lots
being able to have a bonfire in my own backyard

I am sure there's many more....

Old 07-24-2016, 04:57 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintech View Post
I grew up in Kent. I have lived in the DC metro area for about 15 years now. Things I miss...
Chip Chop Ham
JoJo's
Polar Pop
Beer and Cig Drive Thru's
Broasted Chicken and Hot sauce ( rice )
Telling distance in Minutes, I always tell people how places are 10 minutes from here or 7 minutes from there, they always look at me like I am crazy. I wish they understood.
Pop. Now, I grew up calling it pop, when I visit back home I call it pop, when my cousin comes up to visit I call it pop, but any other time, it's soda. When I say pop, people look like I am speaking in tongues.
Sav-a-Lot
Big Lots
being able to have a bonfire in my own backyard

I am sure there's many more....
Not sure about DC but they have Sav-A-Lot and Big Lots in Virginia.

I think soda is an East Coast thing. I never heard soda in Virginia though.

The drive thrus is one thing I miss.

Not sure why people are tripping off of you telling distance in minutes though. I still do that, and I don't have any problems. Granted, nothing is really 10 minutes away in Virginia, but if I say that something is a half hour, or an hour away, people understand that. They might look at you crazy because 10 minutes can vary wildly with the traffic up there. 10 minutes one hour, 30 minutes the next. Traffic isn't that bad back in Ohio so 10 minutes really does mean 10 minutes.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:11 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Some spots, like Bob Evans, and Ponderosa, are dead on arrival here while other stuff, like Hardees, people actually support here.

When I first moved here, I missed how gritty, dirty, and filthy Ohio is. Even West Virginia, to Virginia, or Maryland, to Virginia, is night and day. As soon as you cross over that line into Virginia the sky is brighter, and everything is cleaner? I don't know. You could be out at sea, and walk onto the lands of Virginia and experience the change. I wonder if it was that way for the Pilgrims.

Northern Virginia is entirely different than the rest of the state. Everything is high rises, clean, no potholes, 12 lane roads, etc. You'll know you're in Virginia because you're driving through a forest and you can't see anything off of the highway. Not so much in Northern Virginia because the forest was paved or built over, but definitely in Richmond and Hampton Roads.

Virginia has a lot of uppity, tiny, small towns that might have a single highway going through. Might. Like 50,000 or less. One poster mentioned the fact that he/she was from Kent. A lot of places like that in Virginia. But not necessarily suburbs though, particularly in Northern Virginia.

In Virginia the county is the city, and the city is known as being Independent, and is a different political entity that cities are in Ohio. Or, the county is urban, and may consist of different cities, or maybe not, like Fairfax.

Other than those idiosyncrasies Virginia and Ohio are very similar. Virginia just bypassed that whole industrial thing, for the most part, although a lot of Hampton Roads, and Richmond, are very post-industrial.

You could be an hour and a half away in Virginia and someone will come out to see you. No big deal at all. In Ohio, an hour and a half away is like going into a different part of the state. I grew up in Akron and did not even want to go to Canton; that was enough. In Virginia, you're still in the same city, traveling that distance. You might have to travel more than an hour to get out of the county.

Virginia does seem to be more diverse, and people seem to get along. Ohio was segregated, at least for me back when (eighties, nineties).

Unless you are a masochist you will definitely need a car in Virginia. They need to do something about that though; we have light rail but it will several years before anything comes out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton