Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times

Advertisements

I would probably miss the Lake the most. I've lived within 20 mins of the lake for the majority of my life.

Some other things are Cedar Point, the Summers, the city as a whole and downtown Cleveland, also Lorain and the diversity/feel. Definitely being close to the Cavs, Indians, and Browns. A lot of things actually.

There's really only 2 things I don't like about up here, the weather from December-March and the job losses which leads to the more depressed atmosphere and limited job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:36 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
Well, I actually left Ohio and can tell you what I miss. This is from the perspective of somebody who has lived in San Diego and Chicago since moving away.

-family and long time friends
-low cost of living and being in a relatively easy place to live in, especially considering that Ohio is a well rounded state. People like to complain about Ohio, but the fact is that it has a lot of stuff that is accessible.
-people that are "real" and down to earth, and also that share a local history that I can relate to.
-light traffic
-Going to Browns/Cavs/Indians games
-Being in easy proximity to West Virginia, the East Coast, the Midwest, and Canada
-Lake Erie Islands
-Cedar Point
-Perch fish fry
-West Side Market
-lush and green park systems

Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 AM

836 posts, read 1,493,013 times
I left Ohio, too. I think I miss the restaurants most: those little mom-and-pop places that don't look like much but are purely awesome and are everywhere. I also miss the Canfield Fair and being close enough to large cities to be able to attend concerts, sporting events, museums -- whatever happens to be going on. I miss the rolling green hills, the grounded, unassuming people, and the general unpretentiousness of OH. I also miss the architecture. Ohio has great character and a deep-seated sense of place which I haven't observed anywhere else in the US.

On the upside, I now have a deep appreciation for my home and love my visits back. I have considered moving back but have been put off by the double threat of winter and humidity. I've lived out west a while now and have to admit I'm very, very comfortable with our dry air.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
We left almost 3 years ago now, the one thing we do miss is seeing family & friends on a more regular basis; I also miss being able to see every Cavaliers & Browns game w/out paying for the Premium sports packages.

Other than that, not much! We live about 2 1/2 hours from Savannah and actually just spent Saturday in Hilton Head - nothing like being able to take a day trip to the beach! And as for the A/C being on "non-stop after 10 AM", that's only partially true, the first time we turned our A/C on was 2 1/2 weeks ago, and yesterday & today it's hasn't been on at all as it's beautiful and 75 degrees! That said, it's going back up into the 90s by this weekend, and it will be on pretty much non-stop through August from here on out, but the other 8 or 9 months of the year can't beat living in the south - and keep in mind, since Columbia is more inland, we get a bit hotter than you will on the coast w/the ocean acting as a bit of a buffer. Plus the trade-off is while the electric bill is higher in the summer, your gas bill will be far lower in the winter than living in Ohio.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:24 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Being born and raised in Ohio (Medina), and now living in Greenville, SC. I do miss like the above poster said about the green lushness of Ohio. Especially the fescue grass compared to the bermuda down here.

Having said that, I'll still take the heat of a SC summer compared to the winter of NE Ohio. At least in Greenville, we don't have as severe spring/summer storms as they do in Ohio.

I've met so many new people down here that have moved from Ohio...sometimes I'm driving down the road and see so many Ohio plates I think I'm back in Ohio!

Miss that Barberton Chicken too!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:35 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The Amish are human just like the rest of us; they just happen to have a different religion. I can't blame them for profiting from their "brand." It's even possible that the bad furniture you saw wasn't even touched by anyone Amish. Finally, I'm not sure why you're offended by being called "English" as that is what everyone who isn't Amish is called by the Amish.

To answer the original question, besides family of course, I'd probably miss the food. (Amish or otherwise ) Sure, other regions of the country have their own specialties, but our specialties wouldn't be as good there.

Anything else would depend on the region I moved to. If I moved to North Carolina, I probably wouldn't miss Ohio's green lushness as much as if I moved to Arizona, for example.
Yes, it's possible that the crappy lawn furniture I saw wasn't produced by the Amish. Just because it was advertised as such gave me that idea. They didn't have certificates of authentication posted so perhaps it was just a marketing ploy by those who want to make a sale to the gullible "English" who think that everything marketed as "Amish-made" is just awesome.

Secondly, NO WHERE, did I state anything about the religion of the Amish, I have no bone to pick with their religion.

And yes, I AM offended by being called "English" because I am NOT English. So what if they call everyone who isn't Amish, English? They get some kind of free ignorance pass because they're "Amish" and we all know that they mean well? Whatever. Bottom line (getting back to the thread), I could care less if I never saw "The Amish" again in my life. However, considering I live in Wayne County, Ohio, there's a fat chance of that happening.

P.S. - for people who supposedly live in "modesty" and don't subscribe to worldy things, they sure know how to market their "religion and lifestyle" by operating Amish farm tours, kitchens, etc. for the "English." I like their Dog & Pony show of being much better than anyone else because of their pretense of "living simply", etc. The ones that I know are pretty schrewd business men (and women). There's not much difference between them and regular business men and women in the U.S. The only thing different is that the Amish, because they live in a somewhat hermetically-sealed world, fly under the radar with some of the more unsavory things that they do. Like I said, I could care less one way or another about the Amish. I just don't happen to be all ga-ga, goo-goo about them (unlike other people, apparently). To each his/her own. I'm not going to be bullied into loving or adoring the Amish. That's all.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Yes, it's possible that the crappy lawn furniture I saw wasn't produced by the Amish. Just because it was advertised as such gave me that idea. They didn't have certificates of authentication posted so perhaps it was just a marketing ploy by those who want to make a sale to the gullible "English" who think that everything marketed as "Amish-made" is just awesome.

Secondly, NO WHERE, did I state anything about the religion of the Amish, I have no bone to pick with their religion.

And yes, I AM offended by being called "English" because I am NOT English. So what if they call everyone who isn't Amish, English? They get some kind of free ignorance pass because they're "Amish" and we all know that they mean well? Whatever. Bottom line (getting back to the thread), I could care less if I never saw "The Amish" again in my life. However, considering I live in Wayne County, Ohio, there's a fat chance of that happening.

P.S. - for people who supposedly live in "modesty" and don't subscribe to worldy things, they sure know how to market their "religion and lifestyle" by operating Amish farm tours, kitchens, etc. for the "English." I like their Dog & Pony show of being much better than anyone else because of their pretense of "living simply", etc. The ones that I know are pretty schrewd business men (and women). There's not much difference between them and regular business men and women in the U.S. The only thing different is that the Amish, because they live in a somewhat hermetically-sealed world, fly under the radar with some of the more unsavory things that they do. Like I said, I could care less one way or another about the Amish. I just don't happen to be all ga-ga, goo-goo about them (unlike other people, apparently). To each his/her own. I'm not going to be bullied into loving or adoring the Amish. That's all.
I'm not sure how to respond to your post. Essentially, we agree that the Amish are only human like the rest of us. (they just have a different lifestyle that is dictated by their religion - that's why I brought it up the first time) We just have a different point of view. I don't see anything wrong with them wanting to capitalize on an asset and running a business like anyone else.

I'm not trying to tell you you shouldn't be offended by being called "English." But, for those who might be interested, I did a little bit of research and found out I was wrong about all "non-Amish" being called "English." It's not about nationality, but about language. The native/first language of the Amish is a German dialect, and the native language of the non-Amish around them is (almost always) English.

From this site: Amish Studies FAQ
Quote:
Amish people often refer to non-Amish as “English,” because they speak the English language.
More about the language the Amish speak:
Amish Studies

Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
I miss warm nights at Jacob's Field watching a weekend baseball game in Cleveland.

Oh, and Dunkin' Donuts.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM

284 posts, read 700,928 times
We moved from Ohio (Lexington) to Arizona, and I can tell you what we miss most is the fresh produce - strawberries, corn on the cob, apples and peaches, and unpasteurized apple cider. California strawberries and Colorado corn and Utah peaches are acceptable but not the same. We drove all the way to Willcox for apple cider only to be greatly disappointed.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 PM

122 posts, read 482,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We have been trying to sell our house and move south for 3 years, but now when the move is 2 weeks away, I'm feeling a tug of regret.
At this time of year Ohio is green and lush and beautiful. Today, at the Walmart in Wooster, I saw several Amish families with their freshly scrubbed kids. Their buggies and horses were parked outside. It's probably the last time I'll see that.
If you left Ohio, what do you think you would miss the most?
If I were you, I wouldn't have any regrets about moving south. If you didn't, then I think you would have regrets for not having given it a try. I moved to Wilmington, NC (similar to Savannah...port city on the coast) 15 years ago from Akron and I think it's been a great experience. Would I do it again? Not sure. I admit that I would move back to OH now given the chance; however, I don't regret my time here. As a person, I grew a lot, learned a lot and now have greater appreciation from where I came from. The food up there tastes even better when I go back to visit.

What I miss most from Akron area (in no particular order):
1. Green grass and rolling hills (even the grass in the winter up there is greener than it is here in the summer on the coast)
2. Local restaurants: Swensons/Skyway; Luigi's; Parassons; Rockne's; Mr. Hero (romanburgers!); Barberton chicken/hot sauce/oil & vinegar cole slaw (but I have the recipes for all these and can now make them here at home), Sweet Henry's & Loyal Oak Tavern (Norton); On Tap, Hibachi, Emidio & Sons (Falls), Brubaker's Pub & Otani (the Valley); Diamond Grille; drunken Christmas parties at Tangiers; Hamburger Station
3. Frozen custard (Stricklands on Triplett)
4. Blossom Music Center concerts and the Cuyahoga Valley area
5. Stores: Gabriel Brothers (cheap clothes); Buehlers, Acme & Devitis (cheaper grocery prices & higher quality than here)
6. Huge antique malls with good prices (New Philly, Medina, Columbus)
7. Cheap housing & cheap insurance rates (both house & auto)
8. Highway system with an easy drive to Chicago/Indy/NYC/Pittsbgh/Toronto (yes, I know the traffic cone is the OH state seal, but the overall highway/turnpike system is much better than here)
9. Portage Lakes, Mohican, West Branch, and Salt Fork State Parks (fishing & canoeing)
10. Downtown Akron on a Saturday night
11. Friendly, accepting and warm people (for the most part)
12. My old job and co-workers before I got laid off back in the '90s
13. Fairs and outdoor festivals. Nothing like hitting Rockin' on the River after work at 5pm in the Falls.
14. Drive-thru's where you can buy beer, pop, chips & cigs without getting out of your car (a rarity in the South)
15. Long-time friends and family
16. Snow at Christmas

What I don't miss:
1. Higher property taxes
2. Local city taxes taken out of your paycheck
3. Huge pot holes in the road that could take out an axle or bust a strut
4. Three or more consecutive dark & cloudy days
5. Short growing season (compared to the south)
6. Black ice
7. Tornado warnings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton