Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 11,232 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have been offered a job in the town of Monroeville. I'm unfamiliar with the area and just wanted to see where a good place would be to buy a house in rural part of town or any good subdivisions for medium income families.

I don't mind a 30min to hour commute to work. And also we are concerned about the school system in monroe county?? Any help would be a great help

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I recommend Excel or Uriah. Those are very small towns, but I wouldn't wan't to live in Monroeville or Frisco City.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,754 times
Monroe County High is pretty good there's also Monroe Academy which is a private school and about a few thousand dollars a year. I wouldn't listen to the poster saying not to live in Monroeville - its a nice town with some quiet streets and sidewalks and older historic houses. Who's hiring in Monroeville I wouldn't mind moving down there lol.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Monroe County High is pretty good there's also Monroe Academy which is a private school and about a few thousand dollars a year. I wouldn't listen to the poster saying not to live in Monroeville - its a nice town with some quiet streets and sidewalks and older historic houses. Who's hiring in Monroeville I wouldn't mind moving down there lol.
Well, I live only 35 minutes from Monroeville so I think I know what I'm talking about. Monroe Academy is a good school, but Monroe County High is not. Many people are moving out of Monroeville so they can send their kids to Excel schools. I think J.U. Blacksher High in Uriah is also a good school.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 PM

I should also add that it's very nice along highway 84 west of Monroeville. Lots of farms and a few ranches out that way.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 11,232 times
I would like to thank all of you for your helpful input about the Monroeville area! It sounds like a great little town, and now getting more excited about moving over there!

We are from the Mandeville (northshore) area of Louisiana, my wife and I are tired of all the crazy negative news when we pick up and read the local news paper.

Our children would be attending elementary school. Are the public schools pretty good or would you just send them to a private school??

Also, any good advice for a good real estate agents in the excel / monroeville area?

Again thanks!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 PM

76 posts, read 307,349 times
Default Monroeville

I do not even live in Alabama, yet I am familiar with that area. If you are willing to travel 30 minutes for work, also consider neighboring Conecuh or Escambia Counties.
Monroeville itself is a quaint little town with a history. It's the childhood home of Harper Lee, author of To Kill A Mocking Bird, and Truman Capote whose writings include "Breakfast at Tiffany's". Actually, Truman Capote was born in New Orleans and moved to Monroeville when he was about four. Each cast the other as characters in their writings. Harper Lee was the inspiration for the character, Idabel, in Other Voices, and Truman Capote was cast as Dill in To Kill a Mockingbird.
It amazes me that these two literary giants lived in the same small town at the same time.
I cannot forget to mention Rikard's Mill. It is dedicated to the preservation of past folk traditions, such as gristmilling, blacksmithing, cane syrup making, and, of course, moonshining, among others.
The public schools will be the same as they are everywhere. Simply an opportunity for education. Sometimes I bristle at negative comments about public education because its success and failure is highly dependent upon students and parents, not the system itself.
You will find land prices rather affordable.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,871 times
Family searching for rental property in the Excel School District. Business owners with elemenetary age children relocating to area. Thanks in advance for your help. Looking for at least 3 BDR/2Bath home.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:26 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikardW View Post
It amazes me that these two literary giants lived in the same small town at the same time.
I believe they were first cousins.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Check with this company...
Monroeville, Alabama Real Estate Agency

Sometimes real estate companies will know about rentals in the area.

Here's the local newspaper too...
Home (http://www.monroejournal.com/Home.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama