Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

5 posts, read 22,467 times

Advertisements

The ditch in front of my house flooded 01/01/11 due to lack of care by the county. It washed away the driveway that goes across it. I called county who informed me they were on a 2 week holiday and I would have to stay stranded until 01/10/11.
Emergency personell cannot get to me. If my house is on fire, Fire Dept has no way to cross the mote. Ambulance? Would have to park down the street. Cross 3 back yards to get to me.
Snow has now filled the hole. Should I call an ambulance, or should someone attempt to turn into what use to be the drive, they will end up nose first into a ditch.
What kind of county municipality goes on vacation for 2 weeks and leaves people to their own demise?
I am moving from Gurley as soon as I can get out of my driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Call your County Commissioner (IIRC Roger Jones) and / or WHNT19 ("taking action / getting results").

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,795 times
Not sure you really mean Gurley since you said it was a county issue. Gurley is a little town and if the county is responsible for the maintenance then it is Madison County's responsibility.
I get upset with the amount of trash I see on the roads around here. I wish the county would do a better job of cleaning it up and citizens would take more pride in not trashing our environment.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Lack of care by the county - when have you notified the county and expressed your concerns and how did you do so?
Have you spoken with fire/emergency in your area?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
The county commissioner for most of the area around Gurley is Jerry Craig--district 3. (Roger Jones is northern and NE Madison County.) That's who I'd start with, as well as already suggested, the emergency service people, fire, ambulance, Jerry Craig again, etc. I wouldn't settle for one person telling me that they were on vacation for two weeks.

There's no way the entire county maintenance department is on vacation for two weeks. Who did you call in the first place? If what you said is true, that they are on vacation for two weeks, they got called back and have been working like dogs to clear the roads...I suspect they can find someone to get you out of your house...

...IF, (and it's a big if), that what is washed out is not on your property and your responsibility. Or, if it's clear that it was county action or inaction that caused it. If it was "an act of God" and is on your property alone (I have a loooooong drive back to my house and if it washes out, the county isn't going to come fix it for me) it would seem to me to be your responsibility to fix.

...and even given what you've described, I'm pretty sure there are places worse to live than Gurley....

Last edited by skinem; 01-12-2011 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Done. Not much luck. After 3 weeks, the county finally came out and repaired it til the snow is gone and it can be totally redone

Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM

I have spoken to commissioner, engineers, the county highway department. Yes, it is their responsibility. However, if they do not put in new drain pipes in the ditch, I will fix it by filling the ditch with dirt and that will solve that. No more driveway falling into the ditch. Neighbors might get a little upset when their yard floods, but at least I can get out of my drive and emergency vehicles can get in.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 AM

YES! Because the county is so short staffed, they take 2 weeks in Dec/Jan and another week July. If the ditch digger goes on vacation then the pipe layer cant do his job and vv. So they all have to take vacation at the same time. That tends to happen when you spend billions on jails to house the lowlife.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Lack of care by the county - when have you notified the county and expressed your concerns and how did you do so?
Have you spoken with fire/emergency in your area?
I called emergency services in Montgomery. I am told there is no such thing in my area. I live in an all volunteer area. From what I was told, I would have to live inside the city of Huntsville. I never found any emergency service help for the area which I live.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:14 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Even volunteer fire depts are on call and have a fire chief. Keep calling the commissioners, call TV stations and write the newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama