Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,911 times

Advertisements

I was going over family history with my great grandmother and i found out my family owned closed to 4000 acres in alabama in a place inside what is now ft. mcclellan I asked her why we didn't still own it she said the army rolled up and told em its there's now granted this happened a long time ago but why is this something that happens hi were the united states were gonna take your land. I'd like to hear from anyone else who's family has had this happen to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
You might want to check this out
Fort McClellan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are times when the city, county or state can take your land if you refuse to sell even now a days. They do have to pay you fair market value for the land which if it was back in 1917 would probably be very little by today's standards.

Depending on how old your great grandmother was at that time, she may not have known if there was money involved.

You could probably go to Anniston and check out the county records

Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
You might want to check this out
Fort McClellan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are times when the city, county or state can take your land if you refuse to sell even now a days. They do have to pay you fair market value for the land which if it was back in 1917 would probably be very little by today's standards.

Depending on how old your great grandmother was at that time, she may not have known if there was money involved.

You could probably go to Anniston and check out the county records
its just kind of like they don't care how much they take from you you know that's two sides of my family that have had there land taken away one being my great grandmother and the other of course being the cherokee side its just crazy.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
And your point is???

Look at all the acreage in the U.S., look at the war with Mexico, look at any number of treaties that were abrogated. How do you think the country came into being? Yeah, it socks for individuals, and yeah, generally the country has gone beyond that, but get real. You don't invade a land and take it over without someone losing out.

Consider the alternative. How long would the Cherokee have lasted against Hitler?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
And your point is???

Look at all the acreage in the U.S., look at the war with Mexico, look at any number of treaties that were abrogated. How do you think the country came into being? Yeah, it socks for individuals, and yeah, generally the country has gone beyond that, but get real. You don't invade a land and take it over without someone losing out.

Consider the alternative. How long would the Cherokee have lasted against Hitler?
Yeah because anniston alabama is such a strategic location for the defense of our country from...germany?...japan?...cuba?...north korea?...no I got it china. In fact its so necessary that we shouldn't use the massive amount of unclaimed land out there but take it from our people that already have some. I can guarantee there really was no need to build it there where it would have been wiser to use unclaimed land for a training base come on.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Well it is kind of late to debate that issue. If your GGG was Cherokee then she should be getting $$ now like many other Indians. No one said it was fair, it is what it is, You might try and contact a historian and see if they have info about that time period.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Yeah because anniston alabama is such a strategic location for the defense of our country from...germany?...japan?...cuba?...north korea?...no I got it china. In fact its so necessary that we shouldn't use the massive amount of unclaimed land out there but take it from our people that already have some. I can guarantee there really was no need to build it there where it would have been wiser to use unclaimed land for a training base come on.

Considering when Ft. McClellan was built - what triggered this sudden outcry? $$$?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,290,916 times
How old was your grandmother in 1917? I ask because if she was very young, chances are that her memory of how this whole transaction transpired is probably incomplete. And my thought is that she wasn't alive in 1917, and heard the stories herself, just like you are hearing them now. You've gotten good advice regarding checking deeds, etc. at the county courthouse. It would be best to investigate it further, giving your indignation a basis in proven fact.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,448,507 times
Bizurko = "the massive amount of unclaimed land out there"

Tell us where this unclaimed land is... Land Rush!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,792,607 times
Well, there's a thing called eminent domain where the government can forcibly take land for public or government use (schools or roads or military or whatever), but they are obligated to provide monetary compensation to the land owner. Based on what little information you provide here, I would guess that is what happened - the land was taken by eminent domain and the government provided compensation that has long since been forgotten.

Quote:
How old was your grandmother in 1917? I ask because if she was very young, chances are that her memory of how this whole transaction transpired is probably incomplete
Yup. And, even if she wasn't young (possible- he did say great grandmother not grandmother), since she is a woman, back then she probably wouldn't have been the designated land owner or involved in the transaction anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama