Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 06:26 AM

9 posts, read 16,734 times

Advertisements

Researching the Houston County area and it seems to confuse us! The 4 of us, a dog no one wanted, a boy no one wanted and us two adults that no one wanted, are screaming to get out of North Central Ohio!

Having lived in several different States, I have to say that to each is own and I only liked 1, which was Central Florida! Born and raised in NC Ohio, it never felt good once I was old enough to know that most people there were there because they were afraid to leave, or financially couldn't. The first time I left Ohio was for a wake up call in Ft. Leonardwood. Was glad to be out of there for obvious reasons. The other times I left, I was fleeing me instead of the State. Got that figured out as I matured. Now that I know the differences of life and reason, we have grown to despise Ohio, other than June, July and August. Any other month is preparations for a coming season. Honestly, once we hit July 4th, we become somewhat dreary at heart because it means summer is almost over. When August comes and it is just as Hot and Humid as Florida, we get depressed because by the end of August, nights become chilly way too soon. Come September we know the game is over and soon old man Winter comes with his depression spells, snow and lock down. We are big hunters, but after 40 years of that, our stomachs are pretty much full. We LOVE fishing and water, but unless you like miserable conditions of sideways rain/sleet mix or high winds, fishing is only a few months. We have a family member that just purchased in Dothan and are very excited. They say come, but they live in more of an upscale home that we could never do. So with all the blah blah said, we are considering Houston County. From forums we read, it sounds like a Tornado death punch and seems to be a hard core Bible Belt area and if your not a member of the church, you have a rough road ahead.

We are Christian people but we have NO desire to rejoin a church again. The Politics and Judgement from that alone drives people away. We love God, and nothing will change that. With that said, we also like our drinks, spit out a curse here and there, smoke our ciggs and live life the way we want to live it. I know the Bible, I did seminary... so I get it! However, I have an anxiety attack just thinking about the condemnations I have read if you dont do the Church thing. Those of you that live there, can you shed some light on this issue?

We are exciting people in our 50's with an 11 year old that needed a good honest home with some values but also realistic in living life. He lost his parents back in August and he has always been like a Son to me.
We took him in so he wouldnt get caught up in a system. No regrets and he is awesome. We are big outdoors lovers and would spend most all of our time outside. Obviously, Ohio offers that ability, if you like being an Ice Cube. Going to the store is depressing because from Sept - April, everyone is depressed, grouchy and up your business because they wont deal with their own back porch issues! It seems as if it is a dark cloud that has always loomed here.

Dothan seems like an amazing place, but the forums are confusing us a little. So...someone please help us figure this deal out Eufaula and that Lake seem pretty inviting to us We are good people that mind our own business, give our praises to the heavens and yet pack our own sturdy punch! The challenge is timing.
We are considering just paying cash for a place if possible because although we have great jobs here, we cant seem to understand how we would finance in a new place without longevity in a new career/location. We are not wealthy in the financial category by no means. 100K is a life of working hard and saving for us, in our early 50's. We do not want to mess this up! Has anyone navigated this issue that could provide advice?

We want a place to raise this 11 year old honest, take him fishing as much as we can, but also allow him to see some culture without there being so much culture ( like florida ) that everyone just minds their own business! It will be a cash it all in and buy in our new place so it is a last ditch effort to escape the misery's of Ohio and 9 month lockdowns due to mother nature packing a punch we can no longer handle!! Thank you in advance from the 4 orphans!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 07:25 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
I fully sympathize with your desire to escape the midwestern climate, and sometimes have a hard time understanding why anyone still lives up there.

Southeast Alabama offers plenty of outdoor recreation - Walter George Reservoir (Eufaula) and Lake Seminole right where AL-FL-GA meet offer great fishing opportunities if you have a boat.

I don't know much about the specifics of the smaller towns surrounding Dothan, but Dothan itself is a nice place with all the amenities you would need. There's really no need to go to a bigger city for anything.

I don't think the church thing will be a big deal. There are plenty of people throughout the state who don't go to church. I've never heard of anyone being given a hard time for it other than by their own more devout family members.

One thing you need to know to avoid major culture shock is that Alabama has a lot of black people. Whereas in Ohio, black people mostly only live in the bigger cities; in Alabama black people live in the cities, small towns, and rural areas, and in many cases are the majority - especially in South Alabama. I've never experienced any racial tension, and for the most part blacks and whites get along very well - but you mentioned Eufaula - it's pretty much 50/50 black and white, so that may be quite a culture shock if you were to live there.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-23-2021, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. There would be no culture shock, for sure! The military was a culture shock for me when I left the farm in the late 80's and was a good experience. We want the versatility and culture and we especially want the 11 year old to understand and enjoy different cultures. We met with our realtor and our place here goes on the market in a couple weeks. Living in the North has taken its toll and it is time to be able to live year around instead of May through Sept. This week we are actually going to see temps in the High 30's and might see a low 40's, so it will be like summer after weeks of near zero and near zero wind chills.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:25 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan.

The Wiregrass is a great part of the state in my opinion. If possible, you may want to find a short-term rental when you first get down here to get a better feel of the area before you commit your whole life savings to a particular property. It's a seller's market right now, so everybody seems to be asking top dollar.

I missed your concern about tornadoes. We do get them, but I don't think it's serious enough of a concern to deter a move. North Alabama is much more prone to strong tornadoes than the southern part of the state. Dothan was hit pretty hard by Hurricane Michael(?), or was it Matthew? - the one that tore up Panama City a couple of years ago. It followed US 231 inland and did some serious damage.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-23-2021, 02:37 PM

145 posts, read 163,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

The Wiregrass is a great part of the state in my opinion. If possible, you may want to find a short-term rental when you first get down here to get a better feel of the area before you commit your whole life savings to a particular property. It's a seller's market right now, so everybody seems to be asking top dollar.

I missed your concern about tornadoes. We do get them, but I don't think it's serious enough of a concern to deter a move. North Alabama is much more prone to strong tornadoes than the southern part of the state. Dothan was hit pretty hard by Hurricane Michael(?), or was it Matthew? - the one that tore up Panama City a couple of years ago. It followed US 231 inland and did some serious damage.

Best of luck to you!

It was Hurricane Michael that hit Southeast Alabama. Dothan made it out with some damage, but areas just south and east (far southeastern Houston County) of the city were devastated with significant crop and timber damage. Quite a few buildings were destroyed.

The communities that were devastated include Cottonwood, Gordon, Ashford, and Columbia. Chattahoochee State Park also shut down permanently due to severe damage.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:25 PM

141 posts, read 178,275 times
Definitely take the advice of a short term rental. Everyone has a different experience here and you will find good and bad. I've had seven very long years to wish that I had done just that. Wherever you land, best of luck to all of you unwanteds.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:47 AM

Default We have made up our mind...

The reply from others is appreciated. We have decided we are all in. We have to wait until the boy is out of school mid May, and we are outta the cold box state!!

We are familiar with the Tornado scene. Personally have been through 3 close encounters and several that over the years we watched slide across the fields behind our house. We were always lucky that we were not directly in the path.

Our goal is get to Alabama, Live simple and Live well. It is a much needed break and being in our early 50's, we will be able to enjoy it. Our biggest concern is making that transition and the plan actually come together so we are not sleeping in a park somewhere in the beginning. We may end up renting at first but from what we see online, that can also be challenging. We will get it done! Thank you for the advice!

Old 03-10-2021, 06:33 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Best of luck to you!
How's the housing market in the Dothan area now? I know that many places are really short when it comes to supply of housing. Some of that is the price, and lack of, building supplies.

Regarding what to do in Dothan - if entertainment is a concern, you can always travel down to the Panama City area and have access to most anything you want.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:25 PM

We can't help but to really like the area from Dothan to Eufaula, as I find more posts about the region. Especially seeing that most of them describe it as Boring...sounds good! Nothing but Hunting & Fishing...sounds awesome! No Snow in the Winter and HOT in Summer...sounds like Heaven! No Bars... cool, cause we like to drink alone, at home or with good neighbors! Southern...Amen! We have done so much research that we wore out a laptop!! After that, the Mrs simply called her Aunt in Dothan and asked her for her opinion!!!! Crazy things happen, her Aunt just moved there and they LOVE IT! Having lived in many areas of the country and visited most of the country, SE Alabama sounds like Heaven to us! We are Southern Roots people and ya' all just got yourselves 4 Orphans added to the mix We are so excited for catfishing, crappie ( specks from what I hear ) getting so bored we might as well have a beer and maybe we will get it done tomorrow! Who could turn that down? We have had enough of high pressure living, cold and careers!!!! This 11 year old Boy we have, he has youtubed himself silly watching fishing videos in Eufaula and can hardly sleep!

Last edited by 4orphans; 03-26-2021 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Miss spelled word

Old 03-26-2021, 12:28 PM

Default We will do that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
Definitely take the advice of a short term rental. Everyone has a different experience here and you will find good and bad. I've had seven very long years to wish that I had done just that. Wherever you land, best of luck to all of you unwanteds.
Our unwanted butts are comin lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama