Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2006, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,768 times

Advertisements

I was offered a transfer to the south at my job (which is a good one) and I get to keep my same pay (California $!) and move to the South.

I've lived in California most of my life (29), with 4 of those years in Nevada, where I found I preferred the slower lifestyle.

So, I was offered my choice of 4 locations, Montgomery, AL, Birmingham, AL, Jackson, MS, or New Orleans, LA.

I have only visited NOLA of the four and of course that was just a strictly downtown getting drunk sort of thing.

Can any of you provide any input? I'm not a racist, but I don't want to live in the ghetto either. Strictly from my research on City-Data I have to say Montgomery looked like the best choice of the four, but thats a strictly numbers sort of thing.

Any information or opinions you have would be appreciated.

-Tygo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 06:39 PM

27 posts, read 126,350 times
That is so funny the same thing happened to us but we are coming from Philadelphia but as far as the choices to relocate we had the same places My husband and I just came back from Birmingham last week and we loved it we were looking in a town called Pelham and the Subdivision called Ballantrae they have a website too you can look at It was so nice and considering the cost of living is much higher where you live now than Philadelphia and much much higher then Birmingham you would not believe the house you could get it has a Championship 18 hole golf course resident swim club and even its own fire department the houses range from $150,000 to $700,000 and really low taxes And we could not get over the mountain views coming from a big city you really appreciate that kind of stuff Well thats my opinion good luck on your move.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 7,858 times
Montgomery has a very high sales tax rate 10% but if you want a slower pace it is probably your best choice. Someone mentioned Pelham, some nice homes but if you work within the city limits the commute is awful!!!! Many surbanites are moving back into the inner city buying lofts and townhomes in the downtown Birmingham area

Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 PM

51 posts, read 81,097 times
I grew up an hour south of Jackson and have been there dozens of times. Really not a city that has a prosperous feel to it, but it all would depend on where your job was. I've been to NOLA twice before Katrina hit and even then I thought of it as 90% dump, 10% cool historic spots/dining/music. So I would skip that one too IMO.

I've been researching the Birmingham and Huntsville areas as potential jobs could take me there and have looked into Alabama quiet a bit. Would certainly suggest it over NOLA or Mississippi (I grew up in MS).

Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 32,107 times
Default NOLA anyday

I would take NOLA in a heartbeat and live in ALgiers Point, see Welcome to Algiers Point!. Safest place in NOLA and its best kept secret, best commute to the Quarter and the CBD, just walk to the ferry. Plenty of parking plus Garden District charm. But NOLA's not for the fainthearted, that's for sure. Plenty of history. OK, its corrupt, but it's a place like no other in these United States. Some would say that's a good thing! I think the people are more genuine than the average southerners (sorry!). That's where I am now and am moving to Montgomery. Now how did that happen???!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:39 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
i would pick birmingham area, and it's not even close.

montgomery is okay if you live on the east part of town, but it really doesn't offer anything that birmingham doesn't (slightly lower cost of living i suppose).

birmingham has a lot more to do, a lot more sopping and restaurants, and many areas of jeff/shelby counties are still reasonably priced.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 20,457 times
I currently live in Montgomery & have for 12 yrs (moved here from Germany). I am mainly here because the military brought me here & after doing all my 8yr enlistment I am still here. My mother is from Cali (Pasadena) & loves it here. She lives on Lake Jordan & commutes 30-45min to work on Gunter.
Since you are looking for a slower pace, Montgomery would be your best bet. B-ham is 45 - 1hr away, Destin Beach Florida 3hrs, ATL 3 hrs, MS 2hrs. Montgomery is centrally located to almost anything and it is pretty quiet. A lot of military come her to retire. The East side is best for living. I live off Zelda road & am smack dab in the middle of work, school & play. Any thing on the major roads along Vaughn, Taylor, Bell Rd, Wares Ferry rd....are nice. Montgomery is trying to build up alot of areas, but the problem is there is still not much to do but eat, shop, & go to the movies. There are other things but it is really kept quiet, advertisment is really bad. The Montgomery Advertiser is your best bet to find out what is going on around town. This is a place mainly for families, so if you are not married & want to be...God be with you. If you are friendly and out going you will meet people, if not make yourself be because people stick with their own. It is really not a diverse place, although it is trying to be. There are plenty of churches...that is for sure. The only reason I have met & hang around a diverse group of ethnicities is because the church I attend is (really) the only multi racial/cultural church in this area. I haven't really noticed much racism here (that is outright) and I am black, but I also grew up in the military so I wouldn't know it unless it was very blunt.
I know that was a lot of information, but I remember how I felt when my mother came to me about 13yrs ago & said we are moving to Montgoemry AL (I cried). I am now 35 and am ready to leave, but I will be back every year to visit. By the way, my mother's family came to visit last yr and they all want to move here.
If you have children, home school, private school or magnet school is best. The school system has a lot to be desired. Hope that helps.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,574 times
If you like things like plays, opera, symphony, zoo, museums, night-life, lots of churches, great shopping, then Birmingham is for you. Yes, it has it's crime and racial factors but so does everywhere else.

Look into Helena, Pelham, Hoover, area. You won't be sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama