Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you prefer Alabama to be in the Eastern time zone?
Yes 57 40.71%
No 83 59.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 AM

5 posts, read 7,752 times

Advertisements

Alabama not alone in this matter! Southeast corner of New Mexico is Central Standard Time Zone, while rest in Mountain Time Zone! Parts of the North Michigan Peninsula is Central Standard Time Zone, while rest of Michigan is Eastern Time Zone! Even parts of East Colorado is Central Standard Time Zone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFS View Post
It does make no sense to me that Phenix City, AL is part of Eastern Time even though they 5 miles away Columbus, GA. Phenix City should be part of the Central Time, you got Russel County, AL that is part of the Central Time it makes no sense everybody is going to be confused about Phenix city, AL time. What you guys think, do you want Phenix City to be in Eastern or Central time?
Phenix City must stay Eastern, just like southeast corner of New Mexico is Central, parts of North Michigan Peninsula is Central, and parts of East Colorado is Central!

Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
And the Florida panhandle should be part of Alabama.
I surely love that! Their's parts of Texas that want to become part of New Mexico! Also parts of Costa Rica want to become part of Nicaragua!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:03 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Phenix City definitely should remain because the vast majority of residents work and shop in Columbus.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Phenix City definitely should remain because the vast majority of residents work and shop in Columbus.
I am absolutely with you on that! I had a former neighbor in Cypress, Tx who now lives in Spring, Tx that told me about part of the North Michigan Peninsula is in Central Time Zone, and he was born in Detroit! Fortunately, that puts Phenix City isn't alone on this!

Old 11-25-2017, 09:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Just think about the folks out in the desolate, dry western end of central time in Van Horn, Texas, along I-10 about 100 miles east of El Paso. Today the sun rises there after 7 am and sets after 7 pm. If they drive about 300 miles east to Arizona, they lose 2 hours, crossing from central daylight to mountain daylight time, then to mountain standard time (same as Pacific time) this time of year. .

I remember driving from Lubbock to Flagstaff and gaining two hours back in the '70s. It was weird.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
And the Florida panhandle should be part of Alabama.
That's just like parts of Western Venezuela wanting to become part of Colombia.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes it IS strange isnt it??

Technically BAMA should be EASTERN TIME!! (@ least some of the state)
Yes Alabama and Mississippi too must go to Eastern Time as soon as possible!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
There's nothing that can be done about the days being shorter in the winter. You're either going to have a late sunrise or an early sunset. Neither is optimal for our working hours, so let's not use that as judge of whether it would be good for Alabama to be on Eastern time or not. Except for the far western fringes, the state is far more connected to the states to the east than those to the west.
It's different now, Alabama and Mississippi except Mississippi west of IH 55 is far more connected to states to the east.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 AM

256 posts, read 151,010 times
I say go for it. Considering that a lot of Indiana is already eastern, I would just make Alabama and everything directly north of it that's still central into eastern time. Mississippi should stay central though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama