Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2006, 05:09 PM

76 posts, read 283,064 times

Advertisements

can anybody who is a truck driver either long haul or local, let me know how well you do in Alabama? We are considering a move to alabama from california and were told that not too many loads come in or out of Alabama. Obviously we know that loads are available but are they decent paid and are you home alot? any help from a trucker that lives in bama would be helpful. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 06:18 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifmmmy View Post
can anybody who is a truck driver either long haul or local, let me know how well you do in Alabama? We are considering a move to alabama from california and were told that not too many loads come in or out of Alabama. Obviously we know that loads are available but are they decent paid and are you home alot? any help from a trucker that lives in bama would be helpful. thanks

No direct experience, but Birmingham is a major distribution center for Alabama and sometimes I seem to see more trucks on the interstate than cars. So you might want to try that area.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:02 AM

76 posts, read 283,064 times
Smile one more thing

oh one more thing out of state truckers or drivers---did you have to redo the whole driving test again or just a transfer? thanks

Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 PM

73 posts, read 434,048 times
There should not be a problem with either short haul or local in Alabama. And yes there is loads out bound and inbound, There is a huge paper mill in coutland Al which is in the North West section of the state, they have loads going to all 48 states. there loads range from $900 to $2500 depending what you drive ie. Flat bed , drybox. or a reffer unit. we also have a good bit of load brokers in the Birmingham area. Of course you know the freight rates are always going up and down but I feel we have a pretty good average.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,972 times
I have been involved in the trucking industry in Tuscaloosa, AL for many years. We have big industries here...Mercedes-Benz and their suppliers, Alabama Paper, etc. There always seem to be available loads throughout the year. In fact, sometimes, there are more loads than drivers.
I am helping a local company look for drivers who are moving to the area. If you are interested, go to expresspersonnel.com and fill out an application and I will personally contact you to let you know about available jobs.
My name is Beth and if I can answer any more of your questions I will be glad to.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:58 PM

11 posts, read 62,106 times
Default Tons of Freight to Haul Here!!

Don't listen to anyone who tells you Alabama doesn't send out freight...my husband has only been driving a couple of years, but he has never had a problem finding work. He now runs out of a small industrial park in Florence for the Books-A-Million company, and they are the sole supply warehouse for every Bookland and BAM in the country! Florence is not a big town like Huntsville or Birmingham, but there are still lots of driving jobs here...we've got a huge tissue paper plant right outside of town, an industrial park, a Rolling Rock distributions center, a Coca-Cola distribution center, etc. etc. And with the low cost of living here, if you drive for a national company like Swift or J.B. Hunt or whoever, which pays basically the same no matter where you live, then you get more for your money by saving on home prices and other things!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
PLENTY of good trucking companies are based in AL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama