Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 11:50 AM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
First though on reading this was the final admittance and beginning of interstate from Huntsville to Atlanta.
That route would need to have a number in the 20s, and there's not an even east/west number available since I-22 goes from B'ham to Memphis (it could have easily, and perhaps more accurately, had an odd north/south number) and I-24 goes from Chattanooga to Nashville and onward to Clarksville. It could have been assigned an odd number too. I suppose Atlanta to Huntsville could have an odd number, but from Huntsville to Memphis would need to be even since Memphis is virtually due west of Huntsville.

They're sort of getting out of progressive numbering though. There's an I-69 that's west of I-55 and I-65 (numbers originally increased from west to east, south to north).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 03:04 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That route would need to have a number in the 20s, and there's not an even east/west number available since I-22 goes from B'ham to Memphis (it could have easily, and perhaps more accurately, had an odd north/south number) and I-24 goes from Chattanooga to Nashville and onward to Clarksville. It could have been assigned an odd number too. I suppose Atlanta to Huntsville could have an odd number, but from Huntsville to Memphis would need to be even since Memphis is virtually due west of Huntsville.

They're sort of getting out of progressive numbering though. There's an I-69 that's west of I-55 and I-65 (numbers originally increased from west to east, south to north).
I could see the spur designation from Huntsville to I-24, being I-724 which also incorporates US -72 . The transition to I-565 would be where the northern bypass would meet at 72.
The northern bypass could be designated I- 665.

Old 08-07-2021, 03:16 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
I could see the spur designation from Huntsville to I-24, being I-724 which also incorporates US -72 . The transition to I-565 would be where the northern bypass would meet at 72.
The northern bypass could be designated I- 665.

Let's see, First Birmingham gets a new Interstate, now Montgomery. Wonder which of us will get the next new interstate lol

Old 08-08-2021, 07:04 AM

1,017 posts, read 640,193 times
I wonder if there is funding for I-422 in Biden's infrastructure bill.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:45 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times
The missing Memphis to Atlanta interstate is definitely a hole on the map. At least build the Memphis to Huntsville part and the spur from Huntsville to I-24. Huntsville could really use spurs with shortcuts to both I-65 North in Tennessee and I-65 farther south. I know terrain would make a southward spur difficult.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
The missing Memphis to Atlanta interstate is definitely a hole on the map. At least build the Memphis to Huntsville part and the spur from Huntsville to I-24. Huntsville could really use spurs with shortcuts to both I-65 North in Tennessee and I-65 farther south. I know terrain would make a southward spur difficult.
Bringing US-72 to Interstate standards to I-24 at South Pittsburg is fine, but there really needs to be a route over the mountains, intersecting I-75 at Adairsville, or perhaps even further south. Having to go through Chattanooga would be a big mistake. We came back on I-75 a couple of months ago and sat in stop and go traffic for over an hour 2 miles south of 24 that goes through Chattanooga. There's already too much traffic around Chattanooga without adding more.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Personally think it should follow the highway 84 corridor and start heading north just east of Thomasville-Jackson Area towards Montgomery. That area has been the most neglected in the state of Alabama and interstate access would likely completely change the area. Not to mention I-14 would run directly parallel to Highway 80, which is already 4 laned the entire way to Montgomery
I'm not sure that's the case, Surge. Look at 20/59 (or 59/20 if you prefer) between the Mississippi/Alabama state line and Tuscaloosa. The highway has been completed through there about 50 years, and there's been no development whatsoever. Or further down, 59 between Meridian and I-10 in Louisiana - not muh improvement along that route, except a little in Hattiesburg, but they also have a 4-year university. So merely having Interstate access doesn't assure that community improvements will result. I don't think an Interstate will have much of a positive impact on Selma or the rest of the Black Belt.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I hope this gets built - Georgia has been needing an Augusta-Macon-Columbus corridor for years now. I'm sure the other states can say the same of their cities and towns.
I retrospect, it might've been better to run I-16 further north with a spur into Augusta. There's not much along the current 16 route anyway.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I think Huntsville to Atlanta (not through Chattanooga, but through the hills) is more important than Huntsville to Memphis. Hwy 72 is already pretty good, and in Mississippi it's pretty much a freeway (whether its to Interstate standards, I don't know) all the way to Memphis. The main chokepoints on 72 Alt are Decatur and the speed trap of Town Creek. Otherwise, it's a pretty straight shot. On the other hand, getting to Atlanta is a total PitA.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:22 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Total waste of money imo, at least in Alabama. I don’t know enough about the corridor in other states to say if that’s the case there as well, but I suspect at least in GA/AL, it’s unnecessary.

As previously stated, there are large chunks of interstate 59 which has been connected for decades and has spurred very little development. Interstate 65 between Montgomery and Mobile is similar. The primary reason the black belt is so economically challenged has nothing to do with interstate access and everything to do with the education levels of the people living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama