Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 04:34 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times

Advertisements

I grew up about 30 miles from Selma when it was a growing, vibrant town. Craig AFB was the economic engine and Selma was enjoying the ride.

MLK’s wife was from Marion AL. My dad knew her dad since he hauled wood to the wood yard that my father managed. My dad said that he expressed fear for his family’s safety. Turns out he was correct.

It was probably 18 years ago when I kayaked from Montgomery to Old Cahaba on the Alabama River. Old Cahaba is the site of Alabama’s first capital and is situated just below where the Cahaba River joins the Alabama River. This was a mostly solo trip to prepare me for an Amazon trip.

When I kayaked under the Pettus Bridge, my emotional reaction surprised me. We were kids in the 60s and the old man hated George Wallace & what he represented with a passion. I guess going under the bridge resurfaced all those fears as a kid I experienced for not going with the local sentiments and growing up without a lot of local friends!

It’s amazing how events unfold to shape our lives and make us the person we are today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 01:04 PM

11,066 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Thank you for such a wonderful post. Some of us feel deeply about this issue. It's a shame more don't. It is often difficult to stand up for what we believe in but it won't stop me, even when people throw sticks and stones, make offensive comments and erroneous accusations that I had a spurious agenda.

I'd be interested in an account of your Amazon trip, as well as an account of your trip along the Alabama River. I was interested in seeing the area because of the Cahaba flower and the preserve. Perhaps I'll get down there again, and also get to the MLK Memorial. I had limited time on this particular trip.

Old 03-13-2022, 02:56 PM

72 posts, read 138,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thank you for such a wonderful post. Some of us feel deeply about this issue. It's a shame more don't. It is often difficult to stand up for what we believe in but it won't stop me, even when people throw sticks and stones, make offensive comments and erroneous accusations that I had a spurious agenda..
You need to go back and read the crap you wrote. You should have stuck with your observations. Instead you turned it political. Calling out governor Ivey, talking about black and brown people being kept down with no government handout. You have no idea how bad it was. Your to young to know. I was there.
Anybody can go back and read the crap you wrote. See what you really are.

Last edited by jct61765; 03-13-2022 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-13-2022, 05:21 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thank you for such a wonderful post. Some of us feel deeply about this issue. It's a shame more don't. It is often difficult to stand up for what we believe in but it won't stop me, even when people throw sticks and stones, make offensive comments and erroneous accusations that I had a spurious agenda.

I'd be interested in an account of your Amazon trip, as well as an account of your trip along the Alabama River. I was interested in seeing the area because of the Cahaba flower and the preserve. Perhaps I'll get down there again, and also get to the MLK Memorial. I had limited time on this particular trip.
If you don’t mind going to another forum, our first Amazon trip report is here. My friend Bill the Duck started it, I’m K7.

My second Amazon trip was reported here.

The Alabama River trip is here.

I hope you enjoy them!

Old 03-13-2022, 05:24 PM

11,066 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Thank you! I will check them out. I'm sure I will enjoy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama