Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,633 times

Advertisements

Does anybody knows anything about area: shools , crime, people, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 08:59 PM

66 posts, read 216,035 times
New Market is a small unincorporated community currently experiencing a rapid transformation from a rural farming community to a suburb of Huntsville. It is about 20 minutes from Huntsville and about 30 minutes from Research Park/Redstone Arsenal. Traffic can be a headache during rush hour along 2-lane Winchester Road, the main thoroughfare for NE Madison County. There are plans to widen the road starting this year, but it probably won't be finished in any of our lifetimes.

Schools- for elementary/middle, there's New Market, Riverton, and Walnut Grove. Riverton, the largest of the three, recently underwent a renovation. Buckhorn High School has a population of about 1000 students, has 6A sports, and was also recently expanded and renovated. On the downside, there are no Advanced Placement courses and the dropout rate is one of the highest in the county.

Crime, like in most small communities, isn't a problem in New Market.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 13,014 times
Watch out for New Market Elementary. There is supposedly a lot of funny business going on there with the principal Dan Evans. Several teachers bailed out and transferred to other systems a few years ago. Just keep an eye out.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,920 times
Default i live in New Market-want to clarify some info given that was wrong

i have lived in the New Market area for 18 years. My children both graduated from school here. They went to Riverton and Buckhorn for high school and there certainly were advanced placement courses. My son took A.P biology and other advanced classes. he scored a 23 on his ACT at twelve years old. (something offered through Duke university.) In high school he received a 33 on his ACT three times. A 36 in science and 34 in math.He received offers from every school he applied at and took a Boeing presidential one through UAH.(Full schol.with room,board and books included.) Only one was given that year.My daughter was a good above average student who was just accepted into nursing school. Just didn't want the schools out here to get a bad rep. Also Buckhorn is one of only seven blue ribbon schools in the state. And even though my kids did not go to New Market elementary I know it is thought of as a good school with very good scores on the students ACTs. And there is a new principal there this year.
Please excuse any errors in this.I went to Grissom High school in the 70"s before we had computer classes for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama