Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,200 times

Advertisements

For more than ten years we've traveled to the Florida panhandle for Thanksgiving and every year we hit Montgomery around lunchtime. We're absolutely miserable because we can never find anywhere to eat! We used to live in Huntsville and have recently moved to Atlanta, so we need a restaurant close to either 85 or 65. We don't know the city at all, so don't want to risk getting lost.

Are there any good southern restaurants, preferably with barbecue, catfish, fried chicken and assorted veggies on the menu? Please, no chains or fast food. We are absolutely desperate. Help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
You know, I think you're better off staying in the car another 45 minutes and driving to either Ft. Deposit or Greenville. Ft. Deposit has Priester's Pecans (Which has a nice buffet and REALLY GOOD desserts) or Greenville, which has a slew of fast food places and Bates House of Turkey.

Having spent a great deal of time in Montgomery, I can tell you that it's a serious problem finding a good place to eat near the Interstate. There's a good hamburger stand near the Capitol building, but that's about it. Now, the Eastern Bypass has a lot of fast food, if that's what you're looking for.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 AM

We've been to Bates before, but would like to try something else. Priester's might be an option. We're seriously reconsidering our route because we're tired of not finding anything to eat.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
One thing I discovered on numerous trips through south AL and south GA is that the Shoneys are not consistent and can hardly be considered a "chain." There is one in south GA that is fantastic. OTOH, the one in Athens (north Alabama) can't cook greens properly, and is put to shame by the one in Ft. Lauderdale FL. I feel your pain in the Montgomery area. I'd end up getting a burger to tide me over and leave it at that.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
One thing I discovered on numerous trips through south AL and south GA is that the Shoneys are not consistent and can hardly be considered a "chain." There is one in south GA that is fantastic. OTOH, the one in Athens (north Alabama) can't cook greens properly, and is put to shame by the one in Ft. Lauderdale FL. I feel your pain in the Montgomery area. I'd end up getting a burger to tide me over and leave it at that.
For years, I worked in Montgomery two days a week at the behest of a client. I desperately tried to find places to eat that weren't chain restaurants, to no avail--even the country clubs served up mediocre food. Some pretty crappy local restaurants is all. I mean, Dothan has better restaurants than Montgomery.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
If you happen to come through Atmore I recommend trying David's Catfish House. Hwy 21 south from I-65 takes you straight through Atmore into Pensacola. David's is about 500ft from the Florida state line.

David's Catfish House — Home (http://www.davidscatfishhouse.com/index.php - broken link)

(edit: I just noticed on their website it says a new restaurant was scheduled to open in Greenville in Sept., so it may already be open.)

Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 AM

976 posts, read 2,685,152 times
Montgomery has tons of Southern resturants. Its Montgomery!!Go downtown to the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa or RSA Tower.There are some others throughout the city just ask a local Montgomerian.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:11 AM

We really don't want to go wandering all over downtown Montgomery if we can help it. We don't know the city, and don't want to get lost.

How about the small towns after Montgomery? Is there anything in Greenville besides Bates? That's the usual exit we take on our way to Florida. We usually go through there or through Georgiana. Thanks Southernnaturelover, the Catfish House sounds like what we're looking for. I'll check to see if one has opened in Greenville. Atmore is too far west, we're going to Destin.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
We really don't want to go wandering all over downtown Montgomery if we can help it. We don't know the city, and don't want to get lost.

How about the small towns after Montgomery? Is there anything in Greenville besides Bates? That's the usual exit we take on our way to Florida. We usually go through there or through Georgiana. Thanks Southernnaturelover, the Catfish House sounds like what we're looking for. I'll check to see if one has opened in Greenville. Atmore is too far west, we're going to Destin.
I was curious myself so I checked, and it has opened. The address is...

323 Greenville Bypass, Greenville, AL

The cheese grits at David's are awesome.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks southernnaturelover, you may have just saved my marriage! Either the Greenville or Andalusia locations come right about the time we're ready to get off the interstate and relax a bit. The menu looks fabulous. Again, thanks a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama