Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 32,080 times

Advertisements

Does Alabama have a temporary registration? I need to drive my truck from south Florida to Birmingham. Problem is I have been out of the country for a few years and the truck is not currently registered. Does Alabama have a temporary registration procedure where I could get the truck registered bring it in (within a certain period of time) then get the full registration? That would save me the trouble of getting it registered in Fla then 3 days later doing the same thing in Alabama. North Carolina has such a program.
Does one absolutely have to have the title to register a vehicle? It is unfortunately in storage in Las Vegas….
Also, does anyone know of any furnished apartments in any of the nicer neighborhoods? I will be starting a PhD program at UAB in the fall, my wife and family will not be able to make it for 8-10 months. I’m older than the average student so I’m looking for somewhere peaceful, quiet, and somewhat close to the school while I wait my family and furniture.

Thanks!
jk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 05:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I think this will answer most of your questions regarding your vehicle. http://www.revenue.alabama.gov/motor...ation_FAQ.html

Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 AM

346 posts, read 1,779,202 times
Start your housing search with UAB. They offer everything from dorms to referals.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM

51 posts, read 262,957 times
There are some apartments or "mini-hotels" around Birmingham which rent by the week or month. Alot of these are frequently occupied by people who come to town on assignments for weeks/months at a time. ... and you definitely have to have a title to get a tag for your vehicle. By law you have, without looking it up, I'm almost POSITIVE, 30 days to get a vehicle registered. However, it's possible but not very likely that you would get arrested or ticketed for not registering your vehicle before your current tag expires. If you can not find your title or it is far too inconvenient then you can get a replacement title by following the procedures for the state in which you have it registered. You would probably download or call for a form which you fill out and mail a few dollars.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
If you bought the vehicle in FL they can print you a title out for $15.00 (I think that was the price) right then. Otherwise, you might want to see if they could issue a temporary tag since you are moving. Don't know if they would since you are not a dealer, but you could ask. If you register in FL you will pay sales tax on the value of the truck the first time you register it if it is from out of state. Something to think about..

Old 04-05-2007, 06:04 AM

You have to back track the "legal life" of your truck. Where was it registered last, how was it titled? DMW is generally very helpful even on the phone. As it is in storage - do you at least have the full VIN number to request a replacement title?
Remember - insurance is mandatory in AL. Yes - 30 days to change tags and drivers license.
Last year a clean up of out of state tags and primary residences declared as vacation homes (vacation in Vestavia Hills was rather popular:>) brought some wind fall revenue dollars in form of fines.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:40 PM

I would bet on having to have the VIN number. Most likely you will have to fill out a form and that will be one piece of information to establish the identity of the vehicle. Surely, if you just tell a clerk to pull up a list of the vehicles in your name they will be able to provide that information for you as well as a full description of the vehicle.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJ View Post
I would bet on having to have the VIN number. Most likely you will have to fill out a form and that will be one piece of information to establish the identity of the vehicle. Surely, if you just tell a clerk to pull up a list of the vehicles in your name they will be able to provide that information for you as well as a full description of the vehicle.
DMV does not work on a federal basis.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:31 AM

True. You'll have to contact the DMV in the state where the vehicle is currently registered. Once you obtain the replacement title then you can proceede to register it in Alabama...or any other state.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 32,080 times
Default thanks for the info

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately my registration is from Nevada and is expired, the truck however is in Florida. I could get it registered in Fla first but am well aware of the $$ involved with that. I do have access to the VIN number; the truck is stored in my brothers garage. The state of Nevada has several hoops to jump through to get a copy of the title, none of which I can do from where I am.

As for the housing, I’m not really looking for dorm type accommodation. More something to pass until my family gets here but still quieter and dare I say “older”.
I have read all the “moving to Birmingham” threads and have ideas of what neighborhoods are nice and commute times from those areas. Seems there are several nice neighborhoods within 30min commute. Just as important what areas are the ones to avoid?

Thanks for the replies!
jk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama