Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 03:30 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Ohh really great advice i`ll try it.

It suppose to be 97 dergees in the Mobile area Tuesday with 95-100 % humidity .So we can expect the heat index or how it will feel with the Humidity to be a strong 125 or 130 degrees.

We usually don`t experience 97 degree weather till late July and August.
I fully realized that this is a 10 year old thread that someone resurrected, but Port mentions something that I hear often ... "it'll be 97 with 95% humidity". That sounds awful, and it's quite possible to have such a high temperature with high humidity on the same day ... thing is, it doesn't happen at the same time of the day. The high humidity will be early in the morning when the temperature is in the 70s, and when it's 97 in the afternoon, the humidity will most likely be about 50%. A better measure of how bad it feels is the dewpoint temperature ... 65 is sort of uncomfortable, 70 is lousy, and anything above 75 is terrible.

So yeah, it's hot and humid and uncomfortable, but not THAT uncomfortable.

Heat indices of 165 or so do occur, but they're in the middle east. It's not going to happen in Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 04:07 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
For some reason, I don’t understand threads that start”Hello, I’m thinking about moving to Ala., Miss.,Ga., etc, How is the temperature, humidity, etc.. I can’t stand hot humid weather”
Everybody knows its hot and humid in the South. Everybody knows its icey cold up north and no one ever asks, how is the ice and snow up north? I grew up knowing its cold and icey up north.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 PM

122 posts, read 123,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
For some reason, I don’t understand threads that start”Hello, I’m thinking about moving to Ala., Miss.,Ga., etc, How is the temperature, humidity, etc.. I can’t stand hot humid weather”
Everybody knows its hot and humid in the South. Everybody knows its icey cold up north and no one ever asks, how is the ice and snow up north? I grew up knowing its cold and icey up north.
I suspect the answer is that there are degrees of heat and humidity, even within the same geographic region. So, even though Asheville, Miami, and Birmingham are all southern cities, they have dissimilar summers re humidity. People try to get a resident's perception of how it compares to other places they've lived.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 AM

841 posts, read 824,744 times
It's the temperature PLUS humidity combination that's the main issue. Asheville is a very humid place, but the average summer highs top out in the mid-80's as opposed to the low 90's in a place like Birmingham with similar humidity levels. The coastal areas do have higher afternoon humidity on average, though, which makes things oppressive.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:06 PM

122 posts, read 123,682 times
Yes, I recall going to Charleston in August for a job interview - I was drenched before I entered the front door, just from walking a half mile from where I parked.

Speaking of summer, how often in Birmingham does one get damaging winds or hail from severe thunderstorms? Are the hilly areas less impacted (on the average)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama