Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 AM

32 posts, read 167,431 times

Advertisements

What kind of job oppurtunities are available in the area? my previous job experience includes high school teacher.
I know that many alabamans are evangelical Christians, would there be a demand for private Hebrew lessons or the like?
just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Is there a Jewish temple there? If not, then I'd think the demand would be low.

temple OR synagogue near Auburn, AL- Google Maps

Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 AM

133 posts, read 534,606 times
Look into Dothan, Alabama. Close Jewish community there that welcomes newcomers.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern by choice View Post
Look into Dothan, Alabama. Close Jewish community there that welcomes newcomers.
And they'll give you $50K (or they did to families).

Jewish families offered $50,000 to move to Alabama - CNN.com

Old 01-09-2010, 08:23 PM

13 posts, read 35,150 times
I'm sorry to say I don't think the demand for Hebrew lessons would be strong here. I was talking with a co-worker (who is methodist) and mentioned a close friend of mine was Jewish and got a 'poor thing' type response. I was shocked. Hopefully this was an isolated incident. There is Beth Shalom Synagogue in Auburn if you want to check out their website. Best of luck.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,616 times
There is a very strong Jewish community in Birmingham and a very reknown Rabbi Miller. I had much contact with them when my daughter married a Jewish guy and the Rabbi was very responsive and helpful. My daughter's in laws also visited from Australia and found the Jewish community there very strong and helpful to them while they visited Birmingham for the wedding.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soucha View Post
I was talking with a co-worker (who is methodist) and mentioned a close friend of mine was Jewish and got a 'poor thing' type response. I was shocked. Hopefully this was an isolated incident.
Why be shocked? Why hope it is an isolated incident?

The methodist could have been completely well meaning in the context of "Poor Thing, [there aren't a lot of Jews in Alabama, and you'll have a tougher time making friends and girlfriends than you would have in New York or Los Angeles]".

I might think the same thing. I wouldn't want to be a young single Jewish male (heck, a young single anything male) in some mid sized town loaded with families and nothing to do (if that's what Dothan is like).

Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
I live in a suburb of Birmingham, and there is a huge Jewish community here, the product of a historic community and the large Jewish farming communities of West Alabama. There are two different synagogues within 500 yards of my front door--One conservative, the other reform. Roughly one-third of my children's schoolmates are Jewish, and each of my two older kids have probably attended a dozen bar/bat mitzvahs each. There's a huge civic presence here, complete with a Jewish Community Center, a country club, etc. etc.

Auburn is just not big enough, in my opinion, to have a sizable Jewish population. But Birmingham is a different matter entirely.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 AM

13 posts, read 35,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why be shocked? Why hope it is an isolated incident?

The methodist could have been completely well meaning in the context of "Poor Thing, [there aren't a lot of Jews in Alabama, and you'll have a tougher time making friends and girlfriends than you would have in New York or Los Angeles]".

I might think the same thing. I wouldn't want to be a young single Jewish male (heck, a young single anything male) in some mid sized town loaded with families and nothing to do (if that's what Dothan is like).
First of all, you don't know the person I reference. Second, my comment was of a personal experience, so no need for you to bother commenting on it. Are you really that bored, Charles? I've noticed this often on city data. I might as well not say anything.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I live in a suburb of Birmingham, and there is a huge Jewish community here, the product of a historic community and the large Jewish farming communities of West Alabama. There are two different synagogues within 500 yards of my front door--One conservative, the other reform. Roughly one-third of my children's schoolmates are Jewish, and each of my two older kids have probably attended a dozen bar/bat mitzvahs each. There's a huge civic presence here, complete with a Jewish Community Center, a country club, etc. etc.

Auburn is just not big enough, in my opinion, to have a sizable Jewish population. But Birmingham is a different matter entirely.
Are you sure it's not just your specific neighborhood? Most cities that do not have a huge general Jewish population do often have a specific area within the region that is heavily Jewish (for example, Shaker Heights and surrounding towns near Cleveland, Williamsville and surrounding towns near Buffalo, the northwest suburbs of Richmond (like Glen Allen), the town of Cary near Raleigh (the latter two are also knows as the "Yankee transplant" suburbs). Interesting if what you're saying is true, but you're describing what I know is typical throughout say Long Island to be like and I find it hard to believe that the entire Birmingham area is like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama