Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
So, HL, are you trying to say that Erwin's statements on Katrina is why Alabama isn't a major tourist destination? If so, not clear at all.

Otherwise, it just appears that you're just trolling. Please stop.
The prior poster had mentioned Hank Erwin trying to get moviemakers to come to Alabama. I was simply pointing out why these people will not pay attention to Erwin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM

5,001 posts, read 9,147,545 times
I agree Coastal Bama isn`t lacking any tourist !!

To Psulions2007: Whats in Bellevue or Nebraska as a whole ???

Not backlashing but I truelly believe with the the upper most confidence that people would rather vacation in Alabama before they would in Nebraska.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I agree Coastal Bama isn`t lacking any tourist !!

To Psulions2007: Whats in Bellevue or Nebraska as a whole ???

Not backlashing but I truelly believe with the the upper most confidence that people would rather vacation in Alabama before they would in Nebraska.

I'm not really sure why you're asking me considering I never asked "Why don't people vacation in Nebraska!?" I know why people don't vacation in Nebraska... I don't need to be told it. Nebraska is simply a pass through state (like Alabama) to other things, the highlights of the pass through being the city of Omaha, the Niobrara Region, Chimney Rock, the Cabela's in Sidney, and severe weather chasing.

My comparison to North Dakota was misunderstood... I meant going to Alabama to 'have a good time' is almost like going to North Dakota for the beaches....just no one does. Sure, Alabama's beaches are a small regional destination...but nationally, why go to Alabama when Florida is just *right* there?

Trust me, I grew up 30 miles from Alabama in Northwest Florida. I've been to Alabama way too many times for my own good. Alabama just has to deal with the fact that it is and always will be a pass-through state. I remember when I drove back to Nebraska from home for Christmas...the most entertaining thing on the entire trip was a billboard near the TN state line on I-65 for the "Boobie Bungalow" just across the state line

Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Sure, Alabama's beaches are a small regional destination...but nationally, why go to Alabama when Florida is just *right* there?
You act like there is something magical about driving another 50 miles to the east. There is NO difference, there's no more to see in Destin or Ft Walton than there is in Orange Beach or Gulf Shores, it all looks the same. I see LOTS of plates in south Baldwin from midwestern states (MI, OH, IN, etc) as well as Canada so apparently some people do travel to Alabama to vacation.

Like I said, I couldn't care less if anymore people come here because we already have enough.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:26 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You act like there is something magical about driving another 50 miles to the east. There is NO difference, there's no more to see in Destin or Ft Walton than there is in Orange Beach or Gulf Shores, it all looks the same. I see LOTS of plates in south Baldwin from midwestern states (MI, OH, IN, etc) as well as Canada so apparently some people do travel to Alabama to vacation.

Like I said, I couldn't care less if anymore people come here because we already have enough.
Florida has the name factor, and I can guarantee there are a LOT more midwestern/Canadian visitors in FL than AL. Maybe they just went to Alabama just to add a state they've been to their portfolio....it's why I went to North Dakota, at least!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,248 times
Montgomery and Tuscaloosa should market their civil rights history more

Mobile should market it's Mardi Gras and beach resorts..

Old 02-25-2010, 05:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Florida has the name factor, and I can guarantee there are a LOT more midwestern/Canadian visitors in FL than AL.
I don't deny that, they have more coastline.

Quote:
Maybe they just went to Alabama just to add a state they've been to their portfolio....it's why I went to North Dakota, at least!
Um, yeah...okay.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM

Alabama shares the Gulf Coast with Florida we have the same sugar white sand and clear emerald water.You can have one foot in Florida beach water and the other in Alabama (litarally)and it all looks the same. Why do people choose to take a cruise from Mobile and New Orleans is right next door ? I`ll anwer that it`s becasue we offer the same thing and license plates from all 50 states have been recorded at the Alabama cruie terminal even(Florida and Lousiana wow).I may be going off on the tail end here but why would some one from Texas pass up the Cruise terminal in New Orleans for Mobile. I wouldn`t put it all on price maybe quility as well as price is a big factor. We also have the fastest growing cruise terminal as well.

The state of Washington has it`s cruise industryso does,Alaska,New York,South Carolina,Loisiana,and of course Florida but they travel to Alabama for a cruise is just intersting to me.

A friend from Pensacola, Florida wanted me to beach with her in Pensacola Beach but I wanted to go to Destin. She made a vallied point when she said it doesn`t matter because a beach is a beach it`s all the same be it Orange,Pensacola, or Destin we will be will be doing thes same thing. I couldn`t argue with that !!

Last edited by PortCity; 02-25-2010 at 06:19 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I agree that Alabama could change and probably has. When I think of Alabama I think of lynchings and the little girls killed while at Sunday School, and fat necked troopers with billy clubs taunting ministers and school girls.....I think of the brutality of Loundes County...I think of George Wallace standing in the doorway of the University .... and I think of the majority of the citizens who were content with things just the way they were....because it was their way of life.

I know that Mississippi and Georgia have the same racist past.....but somehow they weren't personified by the worst of their culture.
And the Selma/Rosa Parks thing. While undeserved, it is what some perceive AL to be. People vacationing in the SE would not take Birmingham over New Orleans. It would be way too hot and muggy in the summer. In the winter months I wouldn't mind going.. I've been twice. But frankly I liked Georgia (Atlanta, Savannah) and Louisiana (NO, the Bayou). In the SE I'd go to those 2 places over AR, MS or AL. Not trying to be negative about AL, but thats just me. I have good friends in GA and my sister likes to meet in Louisiana as her in-laws live there..

Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 PM

Nebraska doesn`t have the natural resources(geography,climate,culture or history) that resources we (Alabama) have for tourism so... Nebraska is more of a drive through state not Alabama.

Racism: I have heard/read of more rcially motivated crime in the 90`s and early 2000`s in states such as Texas,Louisiana,Florida,Georgia and the biggest shoker of them all(Pensylvania with several accounts) than Alabama.

I am proud that Alabama`s past has not stop the really nice people that I have given advice to on this site who are strongly intersted in moving in our area. I can`t remember asking a question about race, the questions are focused on schools,crime,and traffic(the way it should be).

Last edited by PortCity; 02-25-2010 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama