Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,196 times

Advertisements

I am debating on whether or not I should go to the University of Alaska Southeast to study Marine Biology, but I have a few concerns and questions.

I am gay, though I am not in your face about it nor am I looking for any relationship (I want to focus more on school) people still for some reason can tell sometimes. Will I get harassed because of this? How gay friendly is Juneau Alaska?

If I wanted to get a part time job anywhere, would this be really hard considering this is such a small town?

Does anyone know what the University of Alaska Southeast is like? Any info/opinions about it are what I'm looking for. Like how are the dorms, ect?

I love how the city looks, it's small so not a lot of distractions from school.

[Info about myself. I am 20 years old and I live in Las Vegas. I have moved around a lot, Hawaii, Wisconson, Pennsylvania, Florida, Virginia, ect. But I have never been to Alaska, though I am very interested in it.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Juneau has a sizable gay community, so you shouldn't have any problems there. Like anywhere else, you will run into some who don't approve, but the majority here have a live and let live attitude. There are many places looking for part-time help. The main campus is in the Auke Bay area, about 12-15 miles from the downtown area. It sits above Auke Lake in a scenic area. There are a couple of campus buildings in town though. Transportation includes bus service with stops near the campus. I have no idea how the dorms are though.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:34 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathamaDye View Post
I am debating on whether or not I should go to the University of Alaska Southeast to study Marine Biology, but I have a few concerns and questions.

I am gay, though I am not in your face about it nor am I looking for any relationship (I want to focus more on school) people still for some reason can tell sometimes. Will I get harassed because of this? How gay friendly is Juneau Alaska?

If I wanted to get a part time job anywhere, would this be really hard considering this is such a small town?

Does anyone know what the University of Alaska Southeast is like? Any info/opinions about it are what I'm looking for. Like how are the dorms, ect?

[Info about myself. I am 20 years old and I live in Las Vegas. I have moved around a lot, Hawaii, Wisconson, Pennsylvania, Florida, Virginia, ect. But I have never been to Alaska, though I am very interested in it.]
Juneau is a very liberal town, and there are a lot of gays in this city. You will not feel unwelcome in this town because of your orientation.

UAS is a beautiful, small and very quiet campus located about 12 miles or so from downtown Juneau, in a small community known as Auke Bay. It is a beautiful area with a lovely boat harbor just a few minutes from campus.

I don't really know how the p/t job scene is now that the tourist season is over, but there are plenty of restuarants in town where you might be able to get a job as a cook, waitperson etc. There are also box stores such as Cosco, Fred Meyers, Walmart, Home Depot that might be hiring.

The social scene for young people seems to be pretty good - some bars, lots of cultural stuff for a small city, and there's plenty of outdoor stuff to do if that's what you like.

I don't know what the dorms are like, but have been inside some of the campus buildings, and I really think that you would like it here.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:25 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathamaDye View Post

I'm not sure if the Juneau campus is worth the money coming from out-of-state, it doesn't really have a good reputation.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM

17 posts, read 41,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm not sure if the Juneau campus is worth the money coming from out-of-state, it doesn't really have a good reputation.

This is a very general statement. What is there that backs it up? I graduated from the Juneau campus (as an in-state student) and have never heard any negative comments about it's reputation. It is a really good school with excellent instructors. You will be in an ideal location for your field of study. Make sure the courses are what you want. Also, you can check into the length of residency for transferring to "in-state" tuition.
Living in Juneau and attending the university is a wonderful experience. I lived in Juneau 16 years and worked at the hospital the entire time I went to school. There are places you can work related to your field of study. Ask around. Good luck and don't pass this opportunity up unless someone can be specific in their negative comments and convince you not to move to Juneau and attend this university. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:10 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
You can also contact our state's PFLAG organization. They are very active.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:41 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tred View Post
This is a very general statement. What is there that backs it up? I graduated from the Juneau campus (as an in-state student) and have never heard any negative comments about it's reputation. It is a really good school with excellent instructors. You will be in an ideal location for your field of study. Make sure the courses are what you want. Also, you can check into the length of residency for transferring to "in-state" tuition.
Living in Juneau and attending the university is a wonderful experience. I lived in Juneau 16 years and worked at the hospital the entire time I went to school. There are places you can work related to your field of study. Ask around. Good luck and don't pass this opportunity up unless someone can be specific in their negative comments and convince you not to move to Juneau and attend this university. Good luck.
Like I said, it is not worth paying 2 years of out-of-state tuition to attend this school. UA Southeast charges out-of-state students about 3x in-state tuition. The average undergrad will pay about $15,000 to $17,000 in tuition. For that kind of money, there are numerous schools with better programs and reputations. If he/she was already an Alaskan resident, my opinion would be slightly different.

UA Southeast has a 92% acceptance rate!!! Only 8% of first year students come from out-of-state. Those two things should tell you something, it's not competitive to attend and most students are Alaskan residents. There is a reason for that! I'm not even sure if scam universities such as DeVry have such a huge acceptance rate. If you lived in Juneau or even in Alaska and were on a tight budget, I could understand going to UA Southeast with a Marine Bio major, but definitely not an out-of-state student. If you had family living in the area or if you had an internship lined up or anything like that, it might be enough reason to pay the high tuition rates for a university most organizations know nothing about in the -48s or overseas.

There are numerous websites and publications that rank universities and their specific programs on a national and international basis. I ask of you (Tred), show him/her proof UA Southeast is worth the tuition.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 10-06-2010 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska