Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:35 AM

64 posts, read 94,911 times

Advertisements

I'm so excited. For the first time in many moons I feel like I'm alive-finally going to achieve something I've dreamed about. It sort of feels like being a little kid again, at Christmas.

I'm an RN with a little over 1 year experience. The floor I work on is extremely challenging, but it's where I started so I don't have anything to compare it with. I just rely on what float nurses, travel RN's, and doctors tell me. So, I feel like I am prepared to handle what comes my way on the job. If I have questions, I'm humble, so I ask.

I visited the AK board of nursing website over my weekend. Printed off the application for licensure and have begun filling it out. Got my resume cleaned up, and contacted my travel agent again to let them know I'd be ready before the end of January. I'd go either direction-I'd travel as an RN, just to get my foot in the door permanently. Or, I'd accept a perm position right off the bat. So, I'm applying in both arenas.

But I'm so excited. The process has finally started! Applying for my AK RN license could take a month, but hey, I've started and that's the important part. Crazy too, but I have so much faith in this that I've even started telling my friends, "I'm moving to Alaska." That's exhilarating for me, the faith it takes to say that-to help solidify my plan and make it more real. I'm looking foward to the new friends I'll make, and the experiences I'll have. I'm looking foward to the growing process.

Kind of off-beat post, I know. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 01:40 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,582,050 times
Cool, good luck!

Most of the Hospitals in Alaska are wanting Nurses and will pay for moving here and some will even set you up with housing to get started! Some even have a signing bonus to help you make up your mind!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:52 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,906,723 times
Yep, once you start to tell your friends you ARE moving here, it helps to motivate you to make that happen. As a traveling nurse, you will probably get to go to some place you have never heard of. Take advantage of that. Get involved in the community! Make it your adventure and enjoy it. So what if it is a cultural shock. You're flexible right?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 AM

886 posts, read 5,718,476 times
Where in AK are you looking? I know a few weeks ago there were a few posts on Craigslist for Fairbanks and they were willing to help with moving expenses.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,122,361 times
Go for it.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 AM

200 posts, read 287,829 times
Congratulations Nurse2B! I am applying for my Alaska nursing license this week as well. All I need is the 2x2 photo then off into the mailbox the application goes! I wish you the best of luck in your new adventure. May you find a job that is professionally challenging and fulfilling, and may you find a new place in Alaska that is home for your heart and soul.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:46 PM

157 posts, read 240,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
All I need is the 2x2 photo then off into the mailbox the application goes!
Got mine at the local Walgreens in less then 15 minutes and under $10!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM

64 posts, read 94,911 times
I'm still waiting on the fingerprint cards. I've got the picture taken care of, and I have to go to HR on my next day off and have them validate that I've worked 620 hrs (I think it's 620, right?) in the past 2 years. More like over 2500 in the past 1 yr, so that's covered.

The agecny I'm going with has opportunites in Bethel, Kotzbue, and Barrow. I just need to be in a place near a gym, since I lift weights for my back to stay well.

Congratulations on getting your application in! that's got to feel so good.

K, off to get ready for work.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,185,715 times
Where you going? Good luck and enjoy your new adventure. Be sure to ask for moving expenses!!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,515,364 times
Good for you! I was in your shoes just this past July and now I'm working in Barrow!

Good way to expedite the working: spend the $50 extra and get the temp license. Get up here on that while waiting on the permanent.

Barrow has a gym in town and there's also a workout room with a sauna inside hospital housing. Hospital housing is very nice. As a traveler you live here for free and get three free meals a day. You can also walk through the housing to the floor and not have to go outside when the winds are howling and the snow falling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska