Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:19 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,785,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
But all the great photography in the world is still off topic here if it doesn't relate to "Cold weather camera precautions??". And all the thousands of great images you can post won't make the stupid advice you've tried to foist off here anything but what it is.

However, I do appreciate your need to obfuscate the logical conclusions that sane people will come to when reading what was previously posted.
Or are you actually a functioning photographer who can make a few good images on any day?

HOW DARE YOU !! What gives you the RIGHT to slap everyone and insult them. That adds absolutely nothing noteworthy to the 'discussion' at hand.

First let me comment:

1. I believe Floyd is 100% correct; Off topic if these images do not relate to cold weather.

2. Ray - your images are so refreshing to gaze upon - mesmorizing INDEED. They are a extremely professional. They clearly show the GREAT SKILLS YOU POSSESS. Day vs. A-darknight is the difference I can clearly see.

3. Without even having to say one word - YOU SHOW perfectly what photography is all about - the final finished product is ALL THAT COUNTS.

The camera is moot - the lenses used are totally irrevelant. YOUR ARTISTIC skills are at the top of the chart - I have been viewing your outstanding images for over 3 years. I am blown away with each and everyone of them - and to tell the honest truth; I have never seen you post duplicates here or on the other forum where we originally met over 3 years ago.

I think it is really sad; to continually read one person's negative comments on almost every post - some thing must be said about a person's character that has to KEEP bashing people.

I have also noticed: Everyone talks about condensation - but not once has anyone posted on what to do when it happens. YOU CAN'T AVOID IT
when going from a warm enviornment; into sub zero temps INSTANTLY!

#1. When you notice condensation taking place when you first introduce that camera to the very cold temps. DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN YOUR LENS OR VIEWFINDER. Just relax and let the camera adjust to the conditions.

That 'fog' or moisture - will soon go away; The camera needs time. give it ten or 15 minutes. Then your all set to go and create to your hearts content. If you stay out there; there are no more issues; unless you bring that camera into a warm area and capture some images.

There were times; I did duck into a tent quickly - capture an image and jump backoutside; I never had a problem -- YEP the lens clouded up and the viewfinder was foggy - so what !! I took the picture anyway.

It was 60 below this day; it was brutal; you can see the legs of young whalers inside the tent warming up. I took this, I ran back outside.
you can see some of the fog in the lower left side of the image.

Soon; I will document - with PHOTOGRAPHS - both techniques to show what happens in each case. I want photographs to show - not some copy and paste links of meaningless WORDS.

I will use two cameras and get them FROZEN TO THE MAX.

I will show the time it takes for each "method" to stablize. I haven't seen this done yet anyplace on the internet - just words.

When I take that frozen camera and put into a huge ziplock and squeeze all the air out, and place it on a table top. What do you think happens to that frozen camera inside the bag ?? Put it this way ( forget the camera) what happens if just ice IS IN THAT BAG ?? simple: it is going to melt and produce water !!! Exact same darn thing is going to happen to that camera inside the bag - The ONLY DIFFERENCE - you will have minimized it as much as possible. That's the TRUE STORY & you won't find that on the internet anyplace.

ANYONE WANT TO PARTAKE IN THIS documented study?? With photographs. ????

I want to say one thing here - I know the DIFFERENCE between a professional photographers work & skills compared to a 'newbee' !!

It is obvious in each and every instance. I'm truely sorry Floyd I mean no disrespect or offence -but your photographs can't possibly compare in any way manner shape or form to Ray's. So please can the insults.

I have to say this in all TRUTH Floyd; You have advanced remarkably fast over the past 3 years; It is very obvious to the 'trained eye'.

But its going to take you many years before you ever begin to approach Ray's SKILLS.

This TOPIC has been beaten to death. Everything that can possibly said is all ready posted. I think the OP has enough common sense to have figured out the answer to this. Next step is to post documented photos of what the inside of that bag looks like after 1 hour inside.

Have you ever taken meat out of the freezer that is wrapped in a plastic bag or ziplock ??
Ha ha ha. I guess you never took notice of what happens inside!!

When a person who consistently posts OUTSTANDING photographs, has something to say; I am going to listen & DIGEST and put into practice EVERY WORD HE TYPES!!

Last edited by SityData; 01-16-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
oh please...each of you get over your over inflated ego's of photography prowess, attempting to match and out-do each other in info...go have a shouting match, ego inflated argument somewhere else please. A simple answer of precautions would have sufficed the OP

Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Hates a bragger...

Old 01-16-2011, 05:33 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
That goes for people high on themselves, too.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Hates a bragger...
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
That goes for people high on themselves, too.
I tried to rep point you JoeJoe...but alas..the forum gods will not allow me to do so...so off I must go to rep in other places of ill-repute except for the photography forum which is quickly becoming the same polluted place .... want you to get that next star as you soooo deserve it!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Default This one is for Floyd

Floyd, while I retired from the military about 16 years ago, I have been working full time ever since, plus a part-time job that's not photography related. So, I am not taking pictures all the time, not only because I work long hours, but because the weather has been crappy for the past several weeks (bad lighting, no beautiful clouds as I like, no wildlife roaming the neighborhood, and so forth). But just now I made an extra effort to capture some wildlife photos, just for you. It's a brand new photo of a Chinese moose that decided to sit down for a rest at my backyard. Hope that you like it. Can you see how sharp the eye looks? A clear example of a nice portrait

I am looking a this little orangutan...trying to get ideas of how to hang it from a birch branch and then take a couple of photos, but this task has problem more difficult than I previously thought. The moose was easy; it just walked on my driveway, sat on the snow, and looked at me with his shiny brown eye. But it really jumped when the camera's flash went off. I mean...it really jumped and landed on the snow about 20 feet away!

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-16-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 06:33 PM

RayinAK....hahahahahaha thank you for pointing out that some of us have more on our plates than allows for running around taking photo's 24/7....

Old 01-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
RayinAK....hahahahahaha thank you for pointing out that some of us have more on our plates than allows for running around taking photo's 24/7....
Everyone needs a good laugh

Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Everyone needs a good laugh
well thank you...I think "moosie" is rather a cute if not handsome moosie!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
well thank you...I think "moosie" is rather a cute if not handsome moosie!
I better don't show my wife the picture of her moose (I took it from her display at home for the photo session)

Then when I walked back into the house and Abbie (our dog) saw the moose in my hand, she jumped and grabbed it! I had to get a "Chummie" (salmon snack) to bribe her, and even so she didn't want to let go of the moose. I tried to clean the slobber the best way I could, and then put the moose back where it belongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: