Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,659,574 times

Advertisements

Incidentally of course, the sign is old and does have some outdated information about what is known of the possible maximum age of Bowhead whales. The sign talks about approximately 150 years, and since that time new technologies have been developed to determine Bowhead ages, and that has extended the known upper limit out past 215 years.

One point of significance is that the sign is perhaps 20 years old, is not and never was intended to be a reference for scientifically accurate data. Citing it, even if there was a difference in what it says compared to recently published data from science accepted by the ADFG, is a bit ridiculous!

Last edited by Rance; 01-24-2011 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,879,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Two people have posted claims that the sign says the opposite of what I did.

They can't quote anything I said and an opposite statement on that sign!

The sign agrees totally with everything I've said. And, incidentally of course, it also agrees with the two sources for information that I cited. (The source was research done with satellite tracking, and published by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, whose web site is the one that I provided links for.)

Incidentally of course, the sign is old and does have some outdated information about what is known of the possible maximum age of Bowhead whales. The sign talks about approximately 150 years, and since that time new technologies have been developed to determine Bowhead ages, and that has extended the known upper limit out past 215 years.

One point of significance is that the sign is perhaps 20 years old, is not and never was intended to be a reference for scientifically accurate data. Citing it, even if there was a difference in what it says compared to recently published data from science accepted by the ADFG, is a bit ridiculous!
I am very facinated with the data I read... I agree that you cannot depend on these old posted signs for modern research results. What ever the data one has to keep in mind that "Everyone" has to be gentle to our earth and its inhabitants.. or we will ALL suffer the results of the "few" actions. I know I don't live in Alaska but it is our last true frontier and yes we need to get resources to help keep people alive and productive but they do need to take advantage of the new technologies and I hope someone keeps a watchful eye (like us!) on those involved that they don't twist the data results and destroy the last frontier and santuary. Great comments by all.. it does show me the passions everyone has for their home state.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska